-   -   F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/455586-f15-feature-convert-many-service-init-files-possible-native-systemd-services.html)

Ville Skyttä 11-21-2010 09:19 AM

On Sunday 21 November 2010, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
> action should be coordinated.
>
> Comments, thoughts?

Sure. But just in case by coordination you happen imply that a small team of
volunteers would be doing the grunt work, I think it's useful if instead of
that as many maintainers as possible are involved with doing it hands on so
more people get familiar with it.

Michał Piotrowski 11-21-2010 10:13 AM

2010/11/21 Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>:
> On Sunday 21 November 2010, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
>> action should be coordinated.
>>
>> Comments, thoughts?
>
> Sure. *But just in case by coordination you happen imply that a small team of
> volunteers would be doing the grunt work,

Basically yes.

> I think it's useful if instead of
> that as many maintainers as possible are involved with doing it hands on so
> more people get familiar with it.

No problem. We can create a list of all scripts in wiki and
maintainers of individual packages would indicate that they want to
convert scripts themselves.

Without coordination we would not known how many scripts are already
converted and how many need rewrite.

Best regards,
Michal

Michał Piotrowski 11-23-2010 03:18 PM

F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

W dniu 21 listopada 2010 12:13 użytkownik Michał Piotrowski
<mkkp4x4@gmail.com> napisał:
> We can create a list of all scripts in wiki and
> maintainers of individual packages would indicate that they want to
> convert scripts themselves.

How can I get information about all packages that provides init scripts?

When I do
rpm -qf /etc/init.d/*
I get only information about already installed packages. Any magic
switch to get informations about all packages from rpm database?

Best regards,
Michal

Bruno Wolff III 11-23-2010 03:19 PM

F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 17:18:44 +0100,
Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> wrote:
> W dniu 21 listopada 2010 12:13 użytkownik Michał Piotrowski
> <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> napisał:
> > We can create a list of all scripts in wiki and
> > maintainers of individual packages would indicate that they want to
> > convert scripts themselves.
>
> How can I get information about all packages that provides init scripts?
>
> When I do
> rpm -qf /etc/init.d/*
> I get only information about already installed packages. Any magic
> switch to get informations about all packages from rpm database?

I believe rpm only knows about packages available locally. You either need
to have the packages installed or a local mirror. (You can use urls to
refer to remote packages with rpm, but that isn't likely to be workable.)
If you have a local mirror you can use the p option and name the rpms.

Otherwise yum is probably a better choice for this, since it can use meta
data to get information. One of the yum utilities may be better than yum
itself, but I am not sure offhand.

"Jason L Tibbitts III" 11-23-2010 03:21 PM

F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

MP> How can I get information about all packages that provides init
MP> scripts?

repoquery --whatprovides '/etc/init.d/*'

- J<

Rudolf Kastl 11-23-2010 03:22 PM

2010/11/23 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com>:
> W dniu 21 listopada 2010 12:13 użytkownik Michał Piotrowski
> <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> napisał:
>> We can create a list of all scripts in wiki and
>> maintainers of individual packages would indicate that they want to
>> convert scripts themselves.
>
> How can I get information about all packages that provides init scripts?
>
> When I do
> rpm -qf /etc/init.d/*
> I get only information about already installed packages. Any magic
> switch to get informations about all packages from rpm database?

no because only installed packages are part of the rpmdb. you could do
yum install '/etc/init.d/*' then you have all the material to convert
;)

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

Michal Schmidt 11-23-2010 03:26 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:18:44 +0100 Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> How can I get information about all packages that provides init
> scripts?
>
> When I do
> rpm -qf /etc/init.d/*
> I get only information about already installed packages. Any magic
> switch to get informations about all packages from rpm database?

repoquery -f /etc{,/rc.d}/init.d/*

Michał Piotrowski 11-23-2010 03:38 PM

2010/11/23 Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu>:

> MP> How can I get information about all packages that provides init
> MP> scripts?
>
> repoquery --whatprovides '/etc/init.d/*'

It seems to me that too little packages was returned

Michał Piotrowski 11-23-2010 03:42 PM

2010/11/23 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@gmail.com>:
> On 11/20/2010 11:46 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
>> action should be coordinated.
>>
>> Comments, thoughts?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Michal
>
> I created this a while back so just take your pick from there fill it
> with a link to the new file when you are done and the corresponding bz
> report or package build

This is exactly what I wanted :)

philippe makowski 11-23-2010 04:35 PM

F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

2010/11/23 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com>:
> W dniu 21 listopada 2010 12:13 użytkownik Michał Piotrowski
> <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> napisał:
>> We can create a list of all scripts in wiki and
>> maintainers of individual packages would indicate that they want to
>> convert scripts themselves.
I'll try to do it for Firebird package
can you give me some hints and place I have to read before ?