Old 11-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Michał Piotrowski

Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

Hi,

How to start things that really are not demons?

Amtu seemed to be a simple service to convert

[Unit]
Description=Abstract Machine Tests
After=syslog.target

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/sysconfig/amtu
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/amtu $EXTRAOPTIONS

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

sudo systemctl start amtu.service
sudo systemctl status amtu.service
amtu.service - Abstract Machine Tests
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/amtu.service)
Active: active (running) since Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:13:47 +0100; 1s ago
Main PID: 2092 (amtu)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/amtu.service
└ 2092 /usr/sbin/amtu
sudo systemctl status amtu.service
amtu.service - Abstract Machine Tests
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/amtu.service)
Active: failed since Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:13:50 +0100; 632ms ago
Main PID: 2092 (code=exited, status=255)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/amtu.service

It's because it's not really a daemon.
sudo /usr/sbin/amtu
Executing Memory Test...
Memory Test SUCCESS!
Executing Memory Separation Test...
Memory Separation Test SUCCESS!
Executing Network I/O Tests...
Failed to get list of network interfaces to test.
Executing I/O Controller - Disk Test...
I/O Controller - Disk Test SUCCESS!
Executing Supervisor Mode Instructions Test...
Privileged Instruction Test SUCCESS!

This service runs for a few seconds and exit.

How to start it properly?

Best regards,
Michal

Old 11-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Tomasz Torcz

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 03:42:33PM +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to start things that really are not demons?
>
> Amtu seemed to be a simple service to convert
>
> [Unit]
> Description=Abstract Machine Tests
> After=syslog.target
>
> [Service]
> EnvironmentFile=/etc/sysconfig/amtu
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/amtu $EXTRAOPTIONS
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> This service runs for a few seconds and exit.
> How to start it properly?

Type=oneshot (decribed in man systemd.service). Also, RemainAfterExit=
property could be useful.
But is this really a “service“? What's the role of AMTU?

--
Tomasz Torcz ,,(...) today's high-end is tomorrow's embedded processor.'
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl -- Mitchell Blank on LKML

Old 11-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Michał Piotrowski

2010/11/26 Tomasz Torcz <tomek@pipebreaker.pl>:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 03:42:33PM +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How to start things that really are not demons?
>>
>> Amtu seemed to be a simple service to convert
>>
>> [Unit]
>> Description=Abstract Machine Tests
>> After=syslog.target
>>
>> [Service]
>> EnvironmentFile=/etc/sysconfig/amtu
>> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/amtu $EXTRAOPTIONS
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>
>> This service runs for a few seconds and exit.
>> How to start it properly?
>
> Type=oneshot (decribed in man systemd.service).

I tried it
amtu.service - Abstract Machine Tests
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/amtu.service)
Active: failed since Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:12:48 +0100; 11s ago
Process: 2557 (/usr/sbin/amtu $EXTRAOPTIONS, code=exited, status=255)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/amtu.service

> Also, RemainAfterExit=
> property could be useful.

also tried
RemainAfterExit=yes
amtu.service - Abstract Machine Tests
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/amtu.service)
Active: failed since Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:14:35 +0100; 2s ago
Process: 2602 (/usr/sbin/amtu $EXTRAOPTIONS, code=exited, status=255)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/amtu.service

> But is this really a "service"?

It has init script

> What's the role of AMTU?

# underlying security assumptions. It can be configured to
# halt the machine in the event of failure. The program does
# not stay resident, but rather runs once.

Frankly, it's this first time I met with this

Best regards,
Michal

Old 11-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Miloslav =?UTF-8?Q?Trma=C4=8D?= <mitr@volny.cz> writes:

> [...] If the system integrates everything into one process, the
> only remaining troubleshooting mechanisms are integrated logging
> [...], debugger [...] and systemtap (only a little better than a
> debugger, and not available for most programs).

To clarify, systemtap is "available for most programs" on fedora, to
the extent that most C or C++ programs can be probed with systemtap,
including those without <sys/sdt.h> compiled-in stuff. For example:

probe process("a.out").function("foobar") { log($$parms$$) }
probe process("a.out").statement("*@file.c:100-200") { log($$vars$$) }

There is also some support for interpreters like java and python too.

- FChE

Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Michał Piotrowski

Hi,

What services are installed by default when installong form Live
GNOME/KDE/etc and DVD?

--
Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my iToaster

Old 12-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:14:26 +0100
Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What services are installed by default when installong form Live
> GNOME/KDE/etc and DVD?

Varies?
I don't know that anyone has a list... it should be pretty easy to do
some installs and run 'chkconfig --list | grep 5n'. Or did you mean
for f15? It's a bit early to tell, especially with systemd changes.

kevin

Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Michał Piotrowski

2010/12/4 Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com>:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:14:26 +0100
> Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What services are installed by default when installong form Live
>> GNOME/KDE/etc and DVD?
>
> Varies?
> I don't know that anyone has a list... it should be pretty easy to do
> some installs and run 'chkconfig --list | grep 5n'.

Yes, but unfortunately I have no way to install OS on VM and check -
my CPU lacks VMX, and I don't want to reinstall OS.

> Or did you mean
> for f15?

Yes, actual nightly builds

> It's a bit early to tell, especially with systemd changes.

It seems to me that conversion of all init scripts to native systemd
scripts might be impossible for F15 - work is not progressing rapidly
enough.

Currently I take the trivial targets. The next targets will be
services that I use in daily work - web apps related things.

Having a list of default services would be useful when choosing the
next conversion targets. Would be nice to have all init scripts for
commonly used things converted to systemd.

> kevin

Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my iToaster