FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Michał Piotrowski
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

W dniu 23 listopada 2010 18:35 użytkownik philippe makowski
<makowski.fedora@gmail.com> napisał:
> 2010/11/23 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com>:
>> W dniu 21 listopada 2010 12:13 użytkownik Michał Piotrowski
>> <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> napisał:
>>> We can create a list of all scripts in wiki and
>>> maintainers of individual packages would indicate that they want to
>>> convert scripts themselves.
> I'll try to do it for Firebird package
> can you give me some hints and place I have to read before ?

This is a good start point
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd-for-admins-3.html

About services, sockets, targets etc
http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/

You may want to read all systemd related things from
http://0pointer.de/blog/
(if you don't know how it works, you should start from begining)

Best regards,
Michal
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) said:
> > MP> How can I get information about all packages that provides init
> > MP> scripts?
> >
> > repoquery --whatprovides '/etc/init.d/*'
>
> It seems to me that too little packages was returned

Add '/etc/rc.d/init.d/*' too; while they both resolve to the same place,
the filelist might have it in either.

Bill
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Michał Piotrowski
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

2010/11/24 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de>:
> On Sun, 21.11.10 00:46, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
>> action should be coordinated.
>>
>> Comments, thoughts?
>
> I would certainly welcome any work in this direction!

Could you look at the
crond.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656864
and
atd.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656869
and see if I did not do any fundamental error?

Seems to me that these are simple enough at the beginning

For both I used Type=forking - it works fine, but it seems to me that
Type=simple might be a better choice.

Best regards,
Michal
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Tomasz Torcz
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 01:41:49PM +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> 2010/11/24 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de>:
> > On Sun, 21.11.10 00:46, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
> >> action should be coordinated.
> >>
> >> Comments, thoughts?
> >
> > I would certainly welcome any work in this direction!
>
> Could you look at the
> crond.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656864
> and
> atd.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656869
> and see if I did not do any fundamental error?
>
> Seems to me that these are simple enough at the beginning
>
> For both I used Type=forking - it works fine, but it seems to me that
> Type=simple might be a better choice.

For type=simple you would like “-n” switch in crond invocation.
I suggest trimming Description, it is printed during bootup and should be short.

--
Tomasz Torcz ,,If you try to upissue this patchset I shall be seeking
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl an IP-routable hand grenade.' -- Andrew Morton (LKML)

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Michał Piotrowski
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

2010/11/24 Tomasz Torcz <tomek@pipebreaker.pl>:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 01:41:49PM +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> 2010/11/24 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de>:
>> > On Sun, 21.11.10 00:46, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
>> >> action should be coordinated.
>> >>
>> >> Comments, thoughts?
>> >
>> > I would certainly welcome any work in this direction!
>>
>> Could you look at the
>> crond.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656864
>> and
>> atd.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656869
>> and see if I did not do any fundamental error?
>>
>> Seems to me that these are simple enough at the beginning
>>
>> For both I used Type=forking - it works fine, but it seems to me that
>> Type=simple might be a better choice.
>
> For type=simple you would like "-n" switch in crond invocation.

Ah, ok, I'll keep forking.

> I suggest trimming Description, it is printed during bootup and should be short.

I didn't noticed it - I guess "quiet" kernel param is also interpreted
by SystemD.

>
> --
> Tomasz Torcz ,,If you try to upissue this patchset I shall be seeking
> xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl an IP-routable hand grenade.' -- Andrew Morton (LKML)
>
> --
> devel mailing list
> devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Kind regards,
Michal
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Michał Piotrowski
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

2010/11/24 Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano@redhat.com>:
> On 11/24/2010 01:41 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> 2010/11/24 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de>:
>>> On Sun, 21.11.10 00:46, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
>>>> action should be coordinated.
>>>>
>>>> Comments, thoughts?
>>> I would certainly welcome any work in this direction!
>> Could you look at the
>> crond.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656864
>> and
>> atd.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656869
>> and see if I did not do any fundamental error?
>>
>> Seems to me that these are simple enough at the beginning
>>
>> For both I used Type=forking - it works fine, but it seems to me that
>> Type=simple might be a better choice.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michal
> Could you explain, what's the difference between
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656864 and
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=617324 ?
>
> In the older bug was the correct script at least discussed. Why are you
> mass opening new bugs, when the old weren't solved and they could contain
> reasonable information as in this case?

Sorry, I was not aware that Jóhann opened bugs for all this scripts.

>
> Marcela
>
> --
> Marcela Mašláňová
> BaseOS team Brno
>
> --
> devel mailing list
> devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
>

Regards,
Michal
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Paul Wouters
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> BTW, regarding at and cron: what I was thinking of but never check
> ehwther it is feasible is to make cron/at autostart a soon as some job
> is scheduled. I.e. use .path trigger to check whether /etc/crontab and
> user jobs exist, and start cron only then. Similarly for at. That way we
> could support cron and at just fine, and wouldn't even have to run it by
> default. I haven't looked into this in detail however, to see if the
> file triggers systemd offers in .path units are already sufficient to
> make this work.

What if no jobs are there and a non-root user adds a crontab later on? Who
will start cron (as root) ?

> Btw, it's written "systemd", not "SystemD". I even added a section about
> the spelling now to the systemd homepage ;-)

At Openswan, we never wrote OpenSWAN and we're still telling people every week
to not use that. It's a lost battle :P

Paul
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Michał Piotrowski
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

2010/11/24 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de>:
> On Wed, 24.11.10 13:59, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>>
>> 2010/11/24 Tomasz Torcz <tomek@pipebreaker.pl>:
>> > On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 01:41:49PM +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> >> 2010/11/24 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de>:
>> >> > On Sun, 21.11.10 00:46, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> >> Hi,
>> >> >>
>> >> >> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
>> >> >> action should be coordinated.
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Comments, thoughts?
>> >> >
>> >> > I would certainly welcome any work in this direction!
>> >>
>> >> Could you look at the
>> >> crond.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656864
>> >> and
>> >> atd.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656869
>> >> and see if I did not do any fundamental error?
>> >>
>> >> Seems to me that these are simple enough at the beginning
>> >>
>> >> For both I used Type=forking - it works fine, but it seems to me that
>> >> Type=simple might be a better choice.
>> >
>> > *For type=simple you would like "-n" switch in crond invocation.
>>
>> Ah, ok, I'll keep forking.
>
> It's generally nicer to use "simple" wherever possible, unless you have
> a really good reason to assume that your service might be needed to be
> up by something else, and that something else might want synchronize to
> it. Since at/cron don't really offer any live protocols to other
> processes I think Type=simple is a good idea here.

Ok

I checked your atd.service and crond.service and voted for them in
617320 and 617324

>
> BTW, regarding at and cron: what I was thinking of but never check
> ehwther it is feasible is to make cron/at autostart a soon as some job
> is scheduled. I.e. use .path trigger to check whether /etc/crontab and
> user jobs exist, and start cron only then. Similarly for at. That way we
> could support cron and at just fine, and wouldn't even have to run it by
> default. I haven't looked into this in detail however, to see if the
> file triggers systemd offers in .path units are already sufficient to
> make this work.

IMHO good idea. It should look something like this
ListenStream=/etc/cron.hourly/*
ListenStream=/etc/cron.daily/*
ListenStream=/etc/cron.weekly/*
ListenStream=/etc/cron.monthly/*
(more or less)

>
> (And /etc/cron.daily and stuff would then be managed by systemd
> natively, in a .timer unit)
>
>> > I suggest trimming Description, it is printed during bootup and should be short.
>>
>> I didn't noticed it - I guess "quiet" kernel param is also interpreted
>> by SystemD.
>
> Yes, systemd honours "quiet":
>
> Btw, it's written "systemd", not "SystemD". I even added a section about
> the spelling now to the systemd homepage ;-)

I have not read all the documentation yet

>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
> --
> devel mailing list
> devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Best regards,
Michal
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Michał Piotrowski
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

2010/11/24 Paul Wouters <paul@xelerance.com>:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
>> BTW, regarding at and cron: what I was thinking of but never check
>> ehwther it is feasible is to make cron/at autostart a soon as some job
>> is scheduled. I.e. use .path trigger to check whether /etc/crontab and
>> user jobs exist, and start cron only then. Similarly for at. That way we
>> could support cron and at just fine, and wouldn't even have to run it by
>> default. I haven't looked into this in detail however, to see if the
>> file triggers systemd offers in .path units are already sufficient to
>> make this work.
>
> What if no jobs are there and a non-root user adds a crontab later on? Who
> will start cron (as root) ?

I guess ListenStream=/var/spool/cron/* (if it will work - I'm not sure
how systemd interprets wildcards and multiple ListenStream)

>
>> Btw, it's written "systemd", not "SystemD". I even added a section about
>> the spelling now to the systemd homepage ;-)
>
> At Openswan, we never wrote OpenSWAN and we're still telling people every week
> to not use that. It's a lost battle :P
>
> Paul
> --
> devel mailing list
> devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
>

Kind regards,
Michal
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Tomasz Torcz
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 09:30:03PM +0100, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> 2010/11/24 Paul Wouters <paul@xelerance.com>:
> > On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> >> BTW, regarding at and cron: what I was thinking of but never check
> >> ehwther it is feasible is to make cron/at autostart a soon as some job
> >> is scheduled. I.e. use .path trigger to check whether /etc/crontab and
> >> user jobs exist, and start cron only then. Similarly for at. That way we
> >> could support cron and at just fine, and wouldn't even have to run it by
> >> default. I haven't looked into this in detail however, to see if the
> >> file triggers systemd offers in .path units are already sufficient to
> >> make this work.
> >
> > What if no jobs are there and a non-root user adds a crontab later on? Who
> > will start cron (as root) ?
>
> I guess ListenStream=/var/spool/cron/* (if it will work - I'm not sure
> how systemd interprets wildcards and multiple ListenStream)

Uhm, you meant path type unit, described in systemd.path surely. Listen*
directives are for sockets.


> >
> >> Btw, it's written "systemd", not "SystemD". I even added a section about
> >> the spelling now to the systemd homepage ;-)
> >
> > At Openswan, we never wrote OpenSWAN and we're still telling people every week
> > to not use that. It's a lost battle :P

And Paul surely meant OpenS/WAN

--
Tomasz Torcz "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl "God is more forgiving."

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org