Old 11-20-2010, 06:19 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Unison (was: Milmeister Mass-Orphaning Request)

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:14:22PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > RWMJ> I will take ocaml* and unison*.
> > >
> > > I have orphaned them; feel free to take ownership.
> >
> > Done, thanks.
>
> what do you plan to do with unison, and its incompatibility quirkiness?
> (I just ask because at present I have to use a private build because
> Mandriva moved on to a newer stable release, so I have to run that on my
> Fedora systems to remain interoperable).

Yes, it's a big mess. I don't think maintaining separate *packages*
for each version / protocol level is in any way scalable. Can we fold
all the versions into a single package, if necessary carrying and
building several source tarballs?

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Adam Williamson

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 07:19 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:14:22PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > Done, thanks.
> >
> > what do you plan to do with unison, and its incompatibility quirkiness?
> > (I just ask because at present I have to use a private build because
> > Mandriva moved on to a newer stable release, so I have to run that on my
> > Fedora systems to remain interoperable).
>
> Yes, it's a big mess. I don't think maintaining separate *packages*
> for each version / protocol level is in any way scalable. Can we fold
> all the versions into a single package, if necessary carrying and
> building several source tarballs?

off the top of my head I think we *could*, but it's not necessarily a
lot cleaner; they'd all have to have different executable names, for one
thing. but yeah, I don't think there's any reason we can't do this, just
carry multiple tarballs and expand and build them one at a time in the
spec.

I think the previous maintainer planned to just maintain two or possibly
max three versions at a time, and obsolete older ones...but that still
requires a new package review for each new incompatible version.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey