Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Genes MailLists

Default Fedora 15, new and exciting plans - BTRFS

> btfrs providing raid0 functionality.

Does BTRFS have the equivalent of raid 5 ?

gene/

Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 11/14/2010 07:03 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:

> > btfrs providing raid0 functionality.
>
> Does BTRFS have the equivalent of raid 5 ?

Apparently that's being worked on:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Project_ideas#Raid5.2F6

Regards,
Dennis

Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 PM
David Woodhouse

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 13:03 -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:

> > btfrs providing raid0 functionality.
>
> Does BTRFS have the equivalent of raid 5 ?

I implemented most of what's needed for RAID5 (and RAID6) a year or so
ago.

It's waiting on Chris to do the final bits in the upper layers which are
required to ensure we only ever write a full stripe.

That should allegedly be Real Soon Now. Although he's been saying that
for quite a long time...

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@intel.com Intel Corporation

Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Genes MailLists

On 11/14/2010 04:26 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:

>> Does BTRFS have the equivalent of raid 5 ?
>
> I implemented most of what's needed for RAID5 (and RAID6) a year or so
> ago.
>
> It's waiting on Chris to do the final bits in the upper layers which are
> required to ensure we only ever write a full stripe.
>
> That should allegedly be Real Soon Now. Although he's been saying that
> for quite a long time...

Thats really really good news ... :-)