Old 11-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Matt Domsch

Default Fedora 15, new and exciting plans (biosdevname)

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 09:35:54AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Fedora 14 was a pretty relaxing and stable release. I'm thinking that
> Fedora 15 may be much more exciting.

biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
"ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=128892593821639&w=2

Exciting, not really. Necessary, absolutely!

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Matt Domsch

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 08:34:54PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 09:35:54AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > Fedora 14 was a pretty relaxing and stable release. I'm thinking that
> > Fedora 15 may be much more exciting.
>
> biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=128892593821639&w=2
>
> Exciting, not really. Necessary, absolutely!

Feature page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 AM
John Reiser

On 11/13/2010 06:34 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=128892593821639&w=2

In that message I see:
** No rename for all others "ethX" (no change for NICs in PCI slots/USB/others)

I'd like an option to assign "ethX" to NICs in /sys/devices/pci* order.
This matches chassis PCI slot order on many, many motherboards.
I get confused when ethX is assigned in a different order.

You can bind ethX to a specific card [not slot] by using HWADDR= in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX. That's fine, but I prefer
an option to assign ethX by PCI slot, because that's what I can see when
I plug in the cables. My NICs are various brands and models,
but I treat them all as generic because that is much simpler,
especially in the beginning.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Tomasz Torcz

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 08:34:54PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 09:35:54AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > Fedora 14 was a pretty relaxing and stable release. I'm thinking that
> > Fedora 15 may be much more exciting.
>
> biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.

But why “lomX” for all? Isn't Lights-Out-Management available only on first
ethernet port and often on dedicated port?

--
Tomasz Torcz "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray

Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Matt Domsch

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:11:11PM -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> On 11/13/2010 06:34 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> > to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> > "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=128892593821639&w=2
>
> In that message I see:
> ** No rename for all others "ethX" (no change for NICs in PCI slots/USB/others)
>
> I'd like an option to assign "ethX" to NICs in /sys/devices/pci* order.
> This matches chassis PCI slot order on many, many motherboards.
> I get confused when ethX is assigned in a different order.
>
> You can bind ethX to a specific card [not slot] by using HWADDR= in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX. That's fine, but I prefer
> an option to assign ethX by PCI slot, because that's what I can see when
> I plug in the cables. My NICs are various brands and models,
> but I treat them all as generic because that is much simpler,
> especially in the beginning.

For you, biosdevname has alternate naming policies. You'll edit
/etc/udev/rules.d/71-netdevice.rules, changing --policy=loms to
--policy={something else}, with various choices available:

[loms|kernelnames|all_ethN|all_names|embedded_ethN_ slots_names|smbios_names]

all_ethN does exactly what you want, embedded devices first, then all
other devices in ascending PCI slot order.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Matt Domsch

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:57:59AM +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 08:34:54PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 09:35:54AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > Greetings.
> > >
> > > Fedora 14 was a pretty relaxing and stable release. I'm thinking that
> > > Fedora 15 may be much more exciting.
> >
> > biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> > to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> > "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.
>
> But why ???lomX??? for all? Isn't Lights-Out-Management available only on first
> ethernet port and often on dedicated port?

This has nothing to do with Lights-Out-Management. LOM also == LAN on
Motherboard.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Matthew Miller

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 07:53:40AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > > biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> > > to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> > > "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.
> > But why ???lomX??? for all? Isn't Lights-Out-Management available only on first
> > ethernet port and often on dedicated port?
> This has nothing to do with Lights-Out-Management. LOM also == LAN on
> Motherboard.

Since you're already silkscreening this on the chassis of your systems,
clearly this ship is well out of the harbor, but that confusion seems like a
completely legitimate concern. Seems like it could easily result in
management interfaces getting plugged into the wrong networks.

Also, I gotta say, it really shouldn't be LAN on Motherboard, since it's
just an adapter, not actually a whole lan. It should clearly be NIC on
Motherboard, or "nom". And then you could silkscreen lolcats on to the
servers, which I think would be a win for everyone.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>

Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Jon Masters

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 09:24 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > But why ???lomX??? for all? Isn't Lights-Out-Management available only on first
> > > ethernet port and often on dedicated port?
> > This has nothing to do with Lights-Out-Management. LOM also == LAN on
> > Motherboard.
>
> Since you're already silkscreening this on the chassis of your systems,
> clearly this ship is well out of the harbor, but that confusion seems like a
> completely legitimate concern. Seems like it could easily result in
> management interfaces getting plugged into the wrong networks.
>
> Also, I gotta say, it really shouldn't be LAN on Motherboard, since it's
> just an adapter, not actually a whole lan. It should clearly be NIC on
> Motherboard, or "nom". And then you could silkscreen lolcats on to the
> servers, which I think would be a win for everyone.

I've had a few off-list conversations with various community members
about this. One thing that came up was that the alternative namespace is
necessary, but also that "lom" is a sub-optimal choice. One idea that
did come up was simply to call them "net" (net0, etc.) or perhaps "net"
followed by another letter like "netm" or something. To avoid
bikeshedding this to death though, I think Matt's "lom" naming is fine
for the moment unless we happen to all agree on something else.

Meanwhile, there are two other things I'm keeping ticking over:

1). Potential kernel-based solutions to augment this (but not otherwise
affect what would be in F-15). More on that another time.
2). Naming of non-network devices. Both DMTF and other groups (ACPI,
PCI, etc.) looking at the problem of persistent device to slot mappings
have all looked at more than network. While Matt is (rightfully) looking
at networking in F-15, we need to remember this problem actually will in
future also necessitate work on other non-network devices, too.

Jon.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Jon Masters

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 09:32 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:

> I've had a few off-list conversations with various community members
> about this. One thing that came up was that the alternative namespace is
> necessary, but also that "lom" is a sub-optimal choice. One idea that
> did come up was simply to call them "net" (net0, etc.) or perhaps "net"
> followed by another letter like "netm" or something. To avoid
> bikeshedding this to death though, I think Matt's "lom" naming is fine
> for the moment unless we happen to all agree on something else.

Just to add, if something like "net" were used, you'd still need an
extra letter to distinguish between "LOM" and others since the initial
focus is only on LOM and you don't want to create a new namespace only
to have to do so again later on.

Jon.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Jon Masters <jonathan@jonmasters.org> said:
> I've had a few off-list conversations with various community members
> about this. One thing that came up was that the alternative namespace is
> necessary,

I'm not sold on this, but:

> but also that "lom" is a sub-optimal choice. One idea that
> did come up was simply to call them "net" (net0, etc.) or perhaps "net"
> followed by another letter like "netm" or something.

If you are adding a letter, stick with tried-and-true "eth".

Also, if your intention is to name the motherboard NICs, don't start
with 0 - I haven't seen a motherboard that does. If you are trying to
distinguish the motherboard NICs and make them easier to ID, follow what
the motherboard makers use (1, 2, ..., not 0-based).

> To avoid
> bikeshedding this to death though, I think Matt's "lom" naming is fine
> for the moment unless we happen to all agree on something else.

There are legitimate concerns with "lom" being an established
abbreviation already associated with built-in NICs, so it is hardly
"bikeshedding" to disagree with that.

In any case, is this going to be something that can be disabled easily?
We have something like 18 years of Linux networking history that says
ethernet devices are "eth[0-9]+", and I'm not really interested in
auditing all the tools and scripts I use to make sure they handle
something different at this time.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>