Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Bernie Innocenti

Default Passing ownership of mingetty

Hello Petr,

I ended up being the owner of mingetty by chance, because I used to
maintain it in the OLPC collection and the previous maintainer released
the package.

Since you're clearly working on it, I think it would make sense to pass
ownership to you. If you agree, I will orphan the package so you can
take it over (there doesn't seem a way to do a direct transfer in
pkgdb).

X/ Sugar Labs - http://sugarlabs.org/

Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Petr Pisar

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 09:33:26PM -0500, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> I ended up being the owner of mingetty by chance, because I used to
> maintain it in the OLPC collection and the previous maintainer released
> the package.
>
> Since you're clearly working on it, I think it would make sense to pass
> ownership to you. If you agree, I will orphan the package so you can
> take it over (there doesn't seem a way to do a direct transfer in
> pkgdb).

Ok. Just orphan mingetty and ping me. I will take it in turn.

-- Petr

Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Lennart Poettering

On Wed, 10.11.10 21:33, Bernie Innocenti (bernie@codewiz.org) wrote:

> Hello Petr,
>
> I ended up being the owner of mingetty by chance, because I used to
> maintain it in the OLPC collection and the previous maintainer released
> the package.

Do we really want to keep mingetty around?

We discussed this a couple of times in the systemd context with people
form various distros. In the interest of standardizing things across
distros we would like to get all distros use the same getty
implementation. Now, as it turns out contrary to what the name suggests
mingetty actually uses a little bit more runtime memory than agetty,
even though mingetty takes up a handful of bytes less disk space. (That
said, the difference in memory and disk space is tiny enough to don't
matter the tiniest bit on modern machines) Now, agetty is actively
maintained inside u-l-ng, and used by most distros, except Fedora and
Suse. Since u-l-ng is a core part of every Linux system and the mingetty
pkg definitely not we started to work on making everybody use agetty and
drop mingetty from the standard install everywhere. That way most
distros would only have to install one getty implementation, and can use
it for both serial consoles and VCs. Also it would use less disk space
(since one getty binary takes less space than two, even if the one we
keep is sligtly larger then the other one we remove), and less runtime
memory. systemd git now ships with a default config which makes use of
agetty, not mingetty -- on all distros.

You apparently see value in keeping two almost identical getty
implementations around. Can you elaborate why? Is there any feature
missing in agetty that mingetty has?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Lennart Poettering

Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Casey Dahlin

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 08:53:47PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 10.11.10 21:33, Bernie Innocenti (bernie@codewiz.org) wrote:
>
> > Hello Petr,
> >
> > I ended up being the owner of mingetty by chance, because I used to
> > maintain it in the OLPC collection and the previous maintainer released
> > the package.
>
> Do we really want to keep mingetty around?

Your argument is sound, but this is still a bit off topic for this
thread. Even if mingetty is retired it still needs a maintainer for
another year until we retire F14 (unless we want to take a risk and try
to swap it out in the public releases). I assume OLPC would have a
similar issue.

--CJD

Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Petr Pisar

On 2010-11-11, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de> wrote:

> Do we really want to keep mingetty around?

[...]
> You apparently see value in keeping two almost identical getty
> implementations around. Can you elaborate why? Is there any feature
> missing in agetty that mingetty has?

Till someone uses mingetty or it's part of supported distribution,
somebody must maintain it. Currently the somebody is me.

If you think Fedora should switch to different implementation, just
discuss it (or do it if the proposal is approved).

After the switch, you can fill report into Bugzilla to remove the
package from newer releases. Do not forget to link good arguments like
init maintainer's / init scripts maintainer's / FESCo decission.

Then I can ask rel-engs to remove the package from VCS and composes.

My opinion regarding mingetty removal is I'm not against.

-- Petr

Old 11-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Paul Wouters

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> That way most distros would only have to install one getty implementation,
> and can use it for both serial consoles and VCs.

Yes please.

Bonus points for anaconda configuring a working agetty login if the install
console was serial. That is, run agetty using the same linespeed as the
install and add the serial device to securetty.

(last install I did, though it was rhel5, on a machine without VGA left me
with no way to login to the system after install (kickstart didn't add a
non-root user)

Paul

Old 11-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Paul Wouters

Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Paul Wouters <paul@xelerance.com> said:
> Bonus points for anaconda configuring a working agetty login if the install
> console was serial. That is, run agetty using the same linespeed as the
> install and add the serial device to securetty.

This is handled automatically now; if the kernel console is serial, a
getty is run on the console and added to securetty automatically (in
recent Fedora and RHEL 6).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 PM