Old 11-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Alex Hudson

Default nouveau & gnome-shell (was: Ubuntu moving towards Wayland)

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 16:00 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> You mention gnome shell but not nouveau, how do you enable the missing
> 3d support for Nouveau?

There's an Mesa package labelled "experimental" you need to install.

I don't know what the subset of hardware it works for is, but my Quadro
NVS 135M has been running smoothly so far: it's not fast, and the frame
rate is not great, but it's out of the box and usable.

I blogged about this yesterday, but nouveau has taken serious strides in
F14 - I've been using it the past couple of releases, and the progress
has been stark.

Cheers

Alex.

--
This message was scanned by Better Hosted and is believed to be clean.
http://www.betterhosted.com

Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Camilo Mesias

I'm using the experimental 3d now with gnome shell. After a few days,
it seems like it performs OK although it locks up for a few seconds
now and then. It seems to recover and I can't see any obvious log
messages around the time of the freeze. It does survive
suspend/resume, which is great. My impression is that it runs slightly
hotter than the nvidia driver but I could be imagining this (I don't
have any figures).

-Cam

Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 21:05 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> I'm using the experimental 3d now with gnome shell. After a few days,
> it seems like it performs OK although it locks up for a few seconds
> now and then. It seems to recover and I can't see any obvious log
> messages around the time of the freeze. It does survive
> suspend/resume, which is great. My impression is that it runs slightly
> hotter than the nvidia driver but I could be imagining this (I don't
> have any figures).

You're probably not. nouveau basically has no power management at
present (it's under heavy development upstream, but I don't think ben's
pulled any of it downstream yet).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Camilo Mesias

At least it's winter now and a hot netbook is less of a problem than in the summer.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:22:02PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 21:05 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > I'm using the experimental 3d now with gnome shell. After a few days,
> > it seems like it performs OK although it locks up for a few seconds
> > now and then. It seems to recover and I can't see any obvious log
> > messages around the time of the freeze. It does survive
> > suspend/resume, which is great. My impression is that it runs slightly
> > hotter than the nvidia driver but I could be imagining this (I don't
> > have any figures).
>
> You're probably not. nouveau basically has no power management at
> present (it's under heavy development upstream, but I don't think ben's
> pulled any of it downstream yet).

Does it support multiple monitor configurations? IOW, when I go to work
I dock and use two external monitors. When I'm home I use either my
laptop display or, when I'm in my home office, I attach a video dongle
to connect to a widescreen monitor.

Right now I use the nVidia config tool to select my monitor config on
the fly and change to that. What would I use with the mesa driver?

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 11-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Casey Dahlin

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 09:03:25AM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:22:02PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 21:05 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > > I'm using the experimental 3d now with gnome shell. After a few days,
> > > it seems like it performs OK although it locks up for a few seconds
> > > now and then. It seems to recover and I can't see any obvious log
> > > messages around the time of the freeze. It does survive
> > > suspend/resume, which is great. My impression is that it runs slightly
> > > hotter than the nvidia driver but I could be imagining this (I don't
> > > have any figures).
> >
> > You're probably not. nouveau basically has no power management at
> > present (it's under heavy development upstream, but I don't think ben's
> > pulled any of it downstream yet).
>
> Does it support multiple monitor configurations? IOW, when I go to work
> I dock and use two external monitors. When I'm home I use either my
> laptop display or, when I'm in my home office, I attach a video dongle
> to connect to a widescreen monitor.
>
> Right now I use the nVidia config tool to select my monitor config on
> the fly and change to that. What would I use with the mesa driver?

xrandr / system-config-display. I use nouveau with two monitors all the time.

--CJD

Old 11-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 09:03 -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:22:02PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 21:05 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > > I'm using the experimental 3d now with gnome shell. After a few days,
> > > it seems like it performs OK although it locks up for a few seconds
> > > now and then. It seems to recover and I can't see any obvious log
> > > messages around the time of the freeze. It does survive
> > > suspend/resume, which is great. My impression is that it runs slightly
> > > hotter than the nvidia driver but I could be imagining this (I don't
> > > have any figures).
> >
> > You're probably not. nouveau basically has no power management at
> > present (it's under heavy development upstream, but I don't think ben's
> > pulled any of it downstream yet).
>
> Does it support multiple monitor configurations? IOW, when I go to work
> I dock and use two external monitors. When I'm home I use either my
> laptop display or, when I'm in my home office, I attach a video dongle
> to connect to a widescreen monitor.
>
> Right now I use the nVidia config tool to select my monitor config on
> the fly and change to that. What would I use with the mesa driver?

gnome-display-properties. nouveau fully supports RandR 1.2, which is a
rather better interface than NVIDIA's.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey