Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

Default Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Interesting move: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551

Has anyone looked into bringing Wayland to Fedora? If not this might be the
right time getting involved in the discussion.

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/

Regards,
Dennis

Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/05/2010 06:41 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Interesting move: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551
>
> Has anyone looked into bringing Wayland to Fedora? If not this might be the
> right time getting involved in the discussion.
>
> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/

Considering that it was started by a Red Hat employee, I would say there
has already been some involvement

Rahul

Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Jeff Spaleta

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Considering that it was started by a Red Hat employee, I would say there
> has already been some involvement

a cursory look at who has private branches of it on
git.freedesktop.org is also good indication as to where the
involvement has been and where it hasn't. All I'll say is talk is
cheap.

A cursory look tells me things are still coming together and that the
_right_ people have a roadmap in place...well ahead of any
announcement of Unity.

I'm more than happy to give Shuttleworth the benefit of the doubt
about the sincerity of his interest and I will be watching the Wayland
commit logs closely looking for Canonical sponsored contributions to
_start_ trickling in.

-jef

Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Hakel Gumar

Le 05/11/2010 03:10, Rahul Sundaram a crit :
> On 11/05/2010 06:41 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>
> Considering that it was started by a Red Hat employee, I would say there
> has already been some involvement
>
> Rahul

Kristian does not work for Red Hat anymore but at Intel OSTC.
Will Ubuntu really move towards Wayland and furthermore start working
upstream on it ? let's wait and see.
By the way, is Wayland really usable and since Kristian's departure, is
Red Hat still involved in the project ?

H.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 02:11:22AM +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Interesting move: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551
>
> Has anyone looked into bringing Wayland to Fedora? If not this might be the
> right time getting involved in the discussion.
>
> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/

What's the implication for people who absolutely need to use
X applications remotely?

Rich.

libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines. Supports shell scripting,
bindings from many languages. http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html

Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 11:57:56AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 02:11:22AM +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> > Interesting move: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551
> >
> > Has anyone looked into bringing Wayland to Fedora? If not this might be the
> > right time getting involved in the discussion.
> >
> > http://wayland.freedesktop.org/
>
> What's the implication for people who absolutely need to use
> X applications remotely?

You can run an X server as a client of Wayland, so you should get full
compat with any existing X app usage. Similar to how you can run an X
server under OS-X or Win32.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|

Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Thomas Bendler

I'm more than happy to give Shuttleworth the benefit of the doubt

about the sincerity of his interest and I will be watching the Wayland

commit logs closely looking for Canonical sponsored contributions to

_start_ trickling in.

[...]

What does this mean, wait until Canoncial provides patches before taking a look at interresting technologies? Or even better, don't use applications where Canoncial don't provide patches? That means that a lot of application can't be used in the future and I don't think that this is an useful approach.

Kind regards, Thomas

Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Jaroslav Reznik

On Friday, November 05, 2010 12:57:56 pm Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 02:11:22AM +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> > Interesting move: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551
> >
> > Has anyone looked into bringing Wayland to Fedora? If not this might be
> > the right time getting involved in the discussion.
> >
> > http://wayland.freedesktop.org/
>
> What's the implication for people who absolutely need to use
> X applications remotely?

You can run standard X server on top of Wayland. See Wayland architecture link
[1]. For native Wayland apps you have to use different approach.

[1] http://wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezn*k <jreznik@redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275
Mobile: +420 602 797 774
Red Hat, Inc. http://cz.redhat.com/

Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Jaroslav Reznik

On Friday, November 05, 2010 08:17:17 am Haïkel Guémar wrote:
> Le 05/11/2010 03:10, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
> > On 11/05/2010 06:41 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> >
> > Considering that it was started by a Red Hat employee, I would say there
> > has already been some involvement
> >
> > Rahul
>
> Kristian does not work for Red Hat anymore but at Intel OSTC.
> Will Ubuntu really move towards Wayland and furthermore start working
> upstream on it ? let's wait and see.
> By the way, is Wayland really usable and since Kristian's departure, is
> Red Hat still involved in the project ?

Intel and Nokia seems to be very interested in this project for MeeGo stuff and
embedded systems (like smartphones etc.). So I think it has a quite good backing
to be further developed. Even Qt is now ported to Wayland, I expected just
another graphics system port but they are working on complete own architecture -
next to win, x11, macosx (not only gfx, but events etc.)

Jaroslav

Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 02:11 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Interesting move: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551
>
> Has anyone looked into bringing Wayland to Fedora? If not this might be the
> right time getting involved in the discussion.
>
> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/

Until recently, wayland required private branches of quite a few
dependencies. But it should be possible to build wayland against F15
packages now, or at least it should be soon. If somebody wants to give
this a try, I'd be happy to review packages.

Wayland certainly still has a way to go before we can think about
replacing X altogether, but many pieces of this puzzle have been falling
into place, and with the increased interest (and hopefully
contribution), we may see it happen sooner rather than later.

Watch out for that 'gnome-shell on wayland' post... :-)