Old 10-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Neal Becker

Default root has broken dependencies in the rawhide tree

I have no idea what these messages I've received mean:

root has broken dependencies in the rawhide tree:
On x86_64:
root-unuran-5.26.00e-1.fc15.x86_64 requires libunuran.so.14()(64bit)
On i386:
root-unuran-5.26.00e-1.fc15.i686 requires libunuran.so.14
Please resolve this as soon as possible.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Jussi Lehtola

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 07:14:43 -0400
Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no idea what these messages I've received mean:
>
> root has broken dependencies in the rawhide tree:
> On x86_64:
> root-unuran-5.26.00e-1.fc15.x86_64 requires
> libunuran.so.14()(64bit) On i386:
> root-unuran-5.26.00e-1.fc15.i686 requires libunuran.so.14
> Please resolve this as soon as possible.

Hi,
(cc root an unuran package owners)

Looks like the unuran package has been updated to a new version in
rawhide, which has a newer soname. This breaks dependencies of packages
that have been built against an older version of unuran; they need to
be rebuilt against the new version.

Looks like unuran-1.8.0-1 has been built for f12 - f14, rawhide, el5
and el6. Package updates seem to have been submitted to f13 and f14. If
these are pushed to the stable updates repository, packages such as
root-unuran will break on existing installs. Also they must be built
against the new version of unuran, and the new packages must be shipped
together in the updates repository. You will have to request rel-eng for
a buildroot override to do this.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor

Old 10-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:19:45 +0300, Jussi wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 07:14:43 -0400
> Neal Becker wrote:
> > I have no idea what these messages I've received mean:
> >
> > root has broken dependencies in the rawhide tree:
> > On x86_64:
> > root-unuran-5.26.00e-1.fc15.x86_64 requires
> > libunuran.so.14()(64bit) On i386:
> > root-unuran-5.26.00e-1.fc15.i686 requires libunuran.so.14
> > Please resolve this as soon as possible.
>
> Hi,
> (cc root an unuran package owners)
>
> Looks like the unuran package has been updated to a new version in
> rawhide, which has a newer soname. This breaks dependencies of packages
> that have been built against an older version of unuran; they need to
> be rebuilt against the new version.
>
> Looks like unuran-1.8.0-1 has been built for f12 - f14, rawhide, el5
> and el6. Package updates seem to have been submitted to f13 and f14. If
> these are pushed to the stable updates repository, packages such as
> root-unuran will break on existing installs. Also they must be built
> against the new version of unuran, and the new packages must be shipped
> together in the updates repository. You will have to request rel-eng for
> a buildroot override to do this.

A few days ago I've added related comments in bodhi. To both the unuran
and root test updates. If a packager doesn't understand what's wrong
with an update, consider adding a short comment.