Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Matthew Miller

Default Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo meeting (2010-10-26) NEW TIME!

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 07:00:54PM +0200, Patrick MONNERAT wrote:
> I'm color-blind (I see colors but I don't distinguish them) quite
> strongly. In addition, I usually work on a reverse intensity terminal
> (light on dark), that makes ls colors anti-ergonomic.
>
> I already considered the introduction of a default shell alias to force
> coloring as particularly wicked.
>
> Thus: -1 for indications by colors.

It absolutely cannot be the only indication. I did not mean to suggest that.

However, it is a very valuable indicator for those able to take advantage of
it.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>

Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 12:05 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:41:07PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > You only have 3 letters to remember the name of and you encounter them on
> > a daily basis, so its easily rememberable. Give every capability even a 5
> > letter long code and few will ever be able to remember what they mean.
>
> Perhaps we can use obscure unicode glyphs.

you said 64 capabilities, right? that's not so many. Chinese and
Japanese users are laughing, we can just use some basic Chinese
characters. For our European users we can combine Roman, Greek and
Cyrillic alphabets and require all our users to have decent liberal
education. Anyone want to suggest something for Indian and African
users?

Americans, well, they're just a lost cause...perhaps the logos of
popular sports teams?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Henrik Nordström

fre 2010-10-29 klockan 08:32 -0400 skrev James Antill:

> I don't think you need to display them, just display something that
> says "this is more than it seems" ... like ACLs. Something as simple as
> "-rwcr-xr-x." instead of "-rwsr-xr-x." for setuid.

I.e. kind of like what "ls --color" does?

Regards
Henrik

Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Karel Zak

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:14:08AM +0300, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:44:52PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > This feature is now approved and I see bugs get filed.* The documentation and
> > guidelines are very incomplete.* How does one figure out which file
> > capabilities are needed by the programs I maintain that currently use setuid?*
> > Help, please.
> Probably: remove setuid bit, run, see what breaks. strace may be useful

Don't do that. You have to *always* read the application source code to verify
that the change is safe. You have to verify all relevant shared libraries too.

> [pp@the ~]$ strace ./rsh localhost 2>&1|grep EACCES
> bind(3, {sa_family=AF_INET6, sin6_port=htons(1023), inet_pton(AF_INET6,
> "::", &sin6_addr), sin6_flowinfo=0, sin6_scope_id=0}, 28) = -1 EACCES
> (Permission denied)
>
> -> needs CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE. It didn't seem to output any error to the
> user, so the lacking permissions may be well-hidden.

That's completely wrong and dangerous point of view...

Karel

--
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>
http://karelzak.blogspot.com