Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Dave Jones

Default policycoreutils needs cairo.

I did a minimal install yesterday, and was surprised to find that
cairo, and a bunch of X libs were still installed.

The dependancy chain that pulled them in looks like this..

policycoreutils -> dbus-glib -> gobject-introspection -> fontconfig -> cairo

Could any part of that chain have its dependancies relaxed ?

Dave

Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Colin Walters

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:
> I did a minimal install yesterday, and was surprised to find that
> cairo, and a bunch of X libs were still installed.
>
> The dependancy chain that pulled them in looks like this..
>
> policycoreutils -> dbus-glib -> gobject-introspection -> fontconfig -> cairo

This is fixed in F15 in multiple ways (restorecond is split out of
policycoreutils, and dbus-glib no longer deps on
gobject-introspection, and g-i no longer depends on cairo)

> Could any part of that chain have its dependancies relaxed ?

Unfortunately we didn't notice this dependency until pretty late in
F14...I'm not sure what can be done reasonably at this point, since
all of these packages are critical path.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Colin Walters

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately we didn't notice this dependency until pretty late in
> F14...I'm not sure what can be done reasonably at this point, since
> all of these packages are critical path.

Though I will say that if this was determined to be a blocker, here's
a really safe minimal fix:

Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Bill Nottingham

Colin Walters (walters@verbum.org) said:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately we didn't notice this dependency until pretty late in
> > F14...I'm not sure what can be done reasonably at this point, since
> > all of these packages are critical path.
>
> Though I will say that if this was determined to be a blocker, here's
> a really safe minimal fix:

AFAIK, there's nothing on the release criteria which make this a blocker.
You can submit an update whenever for it, of course.

Bill

Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Adam Williamson

> Colin Walters (walters@verbum.org) said:
> > On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately we didn't notice this dependency until pretty late in
> > > F14...I'm not sure what can be done reasonably at this point, since
> > > all of these packages are critical path.
> >
> > Though I will say that if this was determined to be a blocker, here's
> > a really safe minimal fix:
>
> AFAIK, there's nothing on the release criteria which make this a blocker.
> You can submit an update whenever for it, of course.

It's worth pointing out that we're not religious about the criteria: we
want to have criteria to cover each blocker issue, but that doesn't mean
that no issue can ever be a blocker unless it meets the existing
criteria. When we come across an issue that is widely agreed ought to be
a blocker, but doesn't meet the existing criteria, we write a new
criterion.

Having said that, I don't think this seems serious enough to be a
blocker, though obviously we'd like the minimal install to be as minimal
as possible. Does it cause major problems for any spins? I doubt it, I
expect most of them will have cairo for one reason or another anyway.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Peter Robinson

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 17:55 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Colin Walters (walters@verbum.org) said:

>> > Though I will say that if this was determined to be a blocker, here's
>> > a really safe minimal fix:
>>
>> AFAIK, there's nothing on the release criteria which make this a blocker.
>> You can submit an update whenever for it, of course.
>
> It's worth pointing out that we're not religious about the criteria: we
> want to have criteria to cover each blocker issue, but that doesn't mean
> that no issue can ever be a blocker unless it meets the existing
> criteria. When we come across an issue that is widely agreed ought to be
> a blocker, but doesn't meet the existing criteria, we write a new
> criterion.
>
> Having said that, I don't think this seems serious enough to be a
> blocker, though obviously we'd like the minimal install to be as minimal
> as possible. Does it cause major problems for any spins? I doubt it, I
> expect most of them will have cairo for one reason or another anyway.

I wouldn't expect it to affect the usual spins on s.fp.o, but the
image for EC2 might be as I would expect that to be aimed at Just
Enough OS but then I'm not sure how stripped down they've tried to
make it.

Peter

Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> AFAIK, there's nothing on the release criteria which make this a blocker.
>>> You can submit an update whenever for it, of course.
>> It's worth pointing out that we're not religious about the criteria: we
>> want to have criteria to cover each blocker issue, but that doesn't mean
>> that no issue can ever be a blocker unless it meets the existing
>> criteria. When we come across an issue that is widely agreed ought to be
>> a blocker, but doesn't meet the existing criteria, we write a new
>> criterion.
>>
>> Having said that, I don't think this seems serious enough to be a
>> blocker, though obviously we'd like the minimal install to be as minimal
>> as possible. Does it cause major problems for any spins? I doubt it, I
>> expect most of them will have cairo for one reason or another anyway.
>
> I wouldn't expect it to affect the usual spins on s.fp.o, but the
> image for EC2 might be as I would expect that to be aimed at Just
> Enough OS but then I'm not sure how stripped down they've tried to
> make it.

While we (the Cloud SIG) are shooting for a very minimal EC2 image, last
I heard we still planned to ship it with SELinux. But if that isn't the
case then I'm pretty sure this will impact the size of the images we
need to upload.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 15:52:38 -0700,
Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> Having said that, I don't think this seems serious enough to be a
> blocker, though obviously we'd like the minimal install to be as minimal
> as possible. Does it cause major problems for any spins? I doubt it, I
> expect most of them will have cairo for one reason or another anyway.

At this point the spins ar all smaller than their target size. I expect
that Desktop would have pulled this stuff in, in any case. So it wouldn't
have saved us from the scramble to get it under size.

For custom spins built from the release, an update should be sufficient.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/26/2010 04:22 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Having said that, I don't think this seems serious enough to be a
> blocker, though obviously we'd like the minimal install to be as minimal
> as possible. Does it cause major problems for any spins? I doubt it, I
> expect most of them will have cairo for one reason or another anyway.

Can we make this such issues a blocker starting from the next release?
A minimal install should really be minimal. Otherwise, we have failed
and it does affect EC2 deployments among other things.

Rahul

Old 10-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Adam Williamson

> On 10/26/2010 04:22 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > Having said that, I don't think this seems serious enough to be a
> > blocker, though obviously we'd like the minimal install to be as minimal
> > as possible. Does it cause major problems for any spins? I doubt it, I
> > expect most of them will have cairo for one reason or another anyway.
>
> Can we make this such issues a blocker starting from the next release?
> A minimal install should really be minimal. Otherwise, we have failed
> and it does affect EC2 deployments among other things.

it's a bit of a tricky line to draw. We have a size test that makes sure
builds aren't over the targeted sizes, we could add a test that a
minimal install doesn't go over a given size after installation, I
guess. What size would be the target?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey