Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Michał Piotrowski

Default F15 Feature - online Ex4 defragmentatnion ( e4defrag support?)

Hi,

2010/10/6 Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com>:
> OK gang, it's in e2fsprogs-1.41.12-6.fc15
>
> you have to invoke it with "-test" options to make it go
>
> Word of warning, it's not had a lot of attention, and the whole
> design could change in the future, but it's something to play with
>
> -Eric

Would it make sense to propose "online ext4 defragmentation" as a
Fedora 15 feature?

Rationale - more people would point their attention to this feature -
more people would test it.

Contingency Plan:
None. Just delete feature from features page

I'm not sure how it is in other distros, but it's probably not very
popular feature.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
Michal

Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Eric Sandeen

Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/10/6 Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com>:
>> OK gang, it's in e2fsprogs-1.41.12-6.fc15
>>
>> you have to invoke it with "-test" options to make it go
>>
>> Word of warning, it's not had a lot of attention, and the whole
>> design could change in the future, but it's something to play with
>>
>> -Eric
>
> Would it make sense to propose "online ext4 defragmentation" as a
> Fedora 15 feature?

At this time, I don't think I'll be able to commit to that work.

I'd usually sign up a feature for Fedora when it is reaching completion
upstream, rather than using Fedora as a driver for upstream priorities...

This might change but I'm not going to commit to it today, sorry.

-Eric

Old 10-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Michał Piotrowski

W dniu 25 października 2010 17:19 użytkownik Eric Sandeen
<sandeen@redhat.com> napisał:
> Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2010/10/6 Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com>:
>>> OK gang, it's in e2fsprogs-1.41.12-6.fc15
>>>
>>> you have to invoke it with "-test" options to make it go
>>>
>>> Word of warning, it's not had a lot of attention, and the whole
>>> design could change in the future, but it's something to play with
>>>
>>> -Eric
>>
>> Would it make sense to propose "online ext4 defragmentation" as a
>> Fedora 15 feature?
>
> At this time, I don't think I'll be able to commit to that work.
>
> I'd usually sign up a feature for Fedora when it is reaching completion
> upstream, rather than using Fedora as a driver for upstream priorities...
>
> This might change but I'm not going to commit to it today, sorry.

I did not mean burdening your in bug reports with the annotation
"please fix this bug before F15"

All bug reports should be sent to NEC's e4defrag developers. It seems
to me that they are the most appropriate people to fix e4defrag bugs
(of course if they still want to maintain this project - it is hard to
deduce anything from git log - only five commits after merge - one
from author).

> -Eric

Regards,
Michal