Old 10-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Mark Bidewell

Default i686/x86_64 dual install media

Sorry if this has been discussed, but has there every been discussion
of a dual 32/64-bit install media? I realize that the default package
selection would be reduced but with a high speed connection it
shouldn't be too big of an issue. Having a single ISO for both my
64-bit desktop and 32-bit laptop would be quite nice.

--
Mark Bidewell
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markbidewell

Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

On 10/24/2010 9:45, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> Sorry if this has been discussed, but has there every been discussion
> of a dual 32/64-bit install media? I realize that the default package
> selection would be reduced but with a high speed connection it
> shouldn't be too big of an issue. Having a single ISO for both my
> 64-bit desktop and 32-bit laptop would be quite nice.

If you have a high-speed Internet connection perhaps you should try a
boot.fedoraproject.org CD, USB stick, or other medium.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Adam Williamson

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 10:45 -0400, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> Sorry if this has been discussed, but has there every been discussion
> of a dual 32/64-bit install media? I realize that the default package
> selection would be reduced but with a high speed connection it
> shouldn't be too big of an issue. Having a single ISO for both my
> 64-bit desktop and 32-bit laptop would be quite nice.

It wouldn't make sense to make everyone download the default package set
twice, when only a relatively small amount of people actually need to,
and the extra work involved in downloading and burning two separate ISOs
is so tiny.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

On 25.10.2010 20:49, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 10:45 -0400, Mark Bidewell wrote:
>> Sorry if this has been discussed, but has there every been discussion
>> of a dual 32/64-bit install media? I realize that the default package
>> selection would be reduced but with a high speed connection it
>> shouldn't be too big of an issue. Having a single ISO for both my
>> 64-bit desktop and 32-bit laptop would be quite nice.
>
> It wouldn't make sense to make everyone download the default package set
> twice, when only a relatively small amount of people actually need to,
> and the extra work involved in downloading and burning two separate ISOs
> is so tiny.

But a combo x86-32/x86-64 install media OTOH would be very interesting
for magazines that want to ship Fedora on a enclosed DVD, as that's
cheaper than two and makes way more readers happy than a x86-32 only
DVD. Ohh, and a combo install media might be interesting as hand out for
fairs and conferences, too.

Just my 2.

CU
knurd

Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> But a combo x86-32/x86-64 install media OTOH would be very interesting
> for magazines that want to ship Fedora on a enclosed DVD, as that's
> cheaper than two and makes way more readers happy than a x86-32 only
> DVD. Ohh, and a combo install media might be interesting as hand out for
> fairs and conferences, too.

What I would like to see is a regular net install CD (not b.f.o) that is
capable of installing either x86_64 or i686. I'm not sure if it's worth
the work, though...

Old 10-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 21:42 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 25.10.2010 20:49, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 10:45 -0400, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> >> Sorry if this has been discussed, but has there every been discussion
> >> of a dual 32/64-bit install media? I realize that the default package
> >> selection would be reduced but with a high speed connection it
> >> shouldn't be too big of an issue. Having a single ISO for both my
> >> 64-bit desktop and 32-bit laptop would be quite nice.
> >
> > It wouldn't make sense to make everyone download the default package set
> > twice, when only a relatively small amount of people actually need to,
> > and the extra work involved in downloading and burning two separate ISOs
> > is so tiny.
>
> But a combo x86-32/x86-64 install media OTOH would be very interesting
> for magazines that want to ship Fedora on a enclosed DVD, as that's
> cheaper than two and makes way more readers happy than a x86-32 only
> DVD. Ohh, and a combo install media might be interesting as hand out for
> fairs and conferences, too.

that's true, the downside is it's another damn thing that can go wrong
and has to be tested.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Jan Kratochvil

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 10:45:38 -0400, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> Sorry if this has been discussed, but has there every been discussion
> of a dual 32/64-bit install media?

/usr/bin/mkbiarch is included in livecd-tools-034-2.fc14 upwards:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/fileinfo?rpmID=2167124&filename=/usr/bin/mkbiarch

It was too late for an official biarch spin of F14 but it should hopefully be
available on F15 GA.

Regards,
Jan