Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Severin Gehwolf

Default Eclipse Fedora Packager: Call for Testers and Contributors

Hi Fedora Packagers,

<pitch>
I would like to bring a new Eclipse plug-in to your
attention: Eclipse Fedora Packager[1]

It's a tool which can help speeding up your Fedora
packaging work :-)

In a nutshell, it offers similar features as the command-line
client fedpkg, but with a GUI. Here's a list of its current
features (more to come):

- Conveniently clone Fedora Git projects, switch branches
etc.
- RPM-spec-file editor with syntax highlighting,
auto-completion and changelog support (<Ctrl>+<Alt>+C
keyboard shortcut)
- Download source files and upload new source files
- Prepare local builds (execute %prep section of your
spec-file)
- Create source RPM files based on current spec-file
- Execute local builds
- Push builds to Koji (the Fedora build system)
- Mock builds
- Push Bodhi updates (the Fedora updates system)
- Eclipse Git support (via EGit)

If those features cover all (most) tasks you usually carry
out when packaging your software for Fedora, Eclipse Fedora
Packager may be a tool for you to look into.

Still not sure? It might be the right tool for your Fedora
packaging if:

- You prefer GUI tools over command-line-clients
- You are already familiar with Eclipse or some other IDE
- You are a developer and you use Eclipse on a daily basis
- You have never packaged something for Fedora, but
would like to do so.
- You don't know much about how software gets into Fedora
but need to get it packaged for it.
- Your main goal is to get your software packaged for
Fedora as opposed to learning a lot of tooling.

Sounds interesting? Want to try it out? Here's what you need
to do (please note that Eclipse Fedora Packager will officially
come with Fedora 14 for the first time):

If you have a F14 box, "yum install eclipse-fedorapackager".
Then fire up Eclipse and follow instructions of our user guide:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eclipse_Fedora_Packager_User_Guide

On F13 (I'm using it) and older (untested) you need to install
some rawhide packages. This is what I usually do:

1.) Install dependencies (non-rawhide):
$ yum install eclipse eclipse-changelog eclipse-rpm-editor
fedora-release-rawhide fedora-packager
2.) Install eclipse-fedorapackager and eclipse-egit from rawhide
$ yum install --enablerepo=rawhide eclipse-fedorapackger
3.) Follow our user guide[2] for information on how to get started
using the plug-in.

The latest version of eclipse-fedorapackager is 0.1.8 (in rawhide).
Here's a link to today's build:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=201275

Feedback, testing, bug reports, contributions are very much
appreciated. Our Trac instance is here (use your FAS to login):
https://fedorahosted.org/eclipse-fedorapackager/

If you have questions, run into problems or would be interested in
contributing please let me know:

email: sgehwolf AT redhat DOT com (this list is preferred)
IRC: my nick is "jerboaa" (e.g. #fedora-devel or #fedora-java)

I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

In any case, let us know what you think ;-)

</pitch>

Thanks,
Severin

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/eclipse-fedorapackager/ (Trac/wiki)
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eclipse_Fedora_Packager_User_Guide

Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Brendan Jones

On 10/21/2010 08:10 AM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> Hi Fedora Packagers,
>
> <pitch>
> I would like to bring a new Eclipse plug-in to your
> attention: Eclipse Fedora Packager[1]
>

> Feedback, testing, bug reports, contributions are very much
> appreciated. Our Trac instance is here (use your FAS to login):
> https://fedorahosted.org/eclipse-fedorapackager/
>
> If you have questions, run into problems or would be interested in
> contributing please let me know:

I wanting to package something new. Is this the right kind of tool or
does it require the package to exist in git? In any case I'll have a
crack at it and let you know how I go.

regards

Brendan

Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Alexander Kurtakov

> On 10/21/2010 08:10 AM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> > Hi Fedora Packagers,
> >
> > <pitch>
> > I would like to bring a new Eclipse plug-in to your
> > attention: Eclipse Fedora Packager[1]
> >

> > Feedback, testing, bug reports, contributions are very much
> > appreciated. Our Trac instance is here (use your FAS to login):
> > https://fedorahosted.org/eclipse-fedorapackager/
> >
> > If you have questions, run into problems or would be interested in
>
> > contributing please let me know:
> I wanting to package something new. Is this the right kind of tool or
> does it require the package to exist in git? In any case I'll have a
> crack at it and let you know how I go.

For packaging new software you may want to take a look at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/SpecfileEditor/User_Guide#Creating_a_New_Specfile
. It makes use of rpmdevtools templates and letting you even fulfill some of
the templates tags. Install with yum install eclipse-rpm-editor.
If you plan to package an eclipse plugin or maven based project there is also
http://eclipse.org/linuxtools/projectPages/rpmstubby/ .
Install with yum install eclipse-rpmstubby.

Note that these are separate projects from what Severin is working on but they
are complimantery.
Let me know if you need any help or you find a problem.

Regards,
Alex

Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Severin Gehwolf

Hi Brendan,

----- "Brendan Jones" <brendan.jones.it@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 08:10 AM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> > Hi Fedora Packagers,
> >
> > <pitch>
> > I would like to bring a new Eclipse plug-in to your
> > attention: Eclipse Fedora Packager[1]
> >
> > Feedback, testing, bug reports, contributions are very much
> > appreciated. Our Trac instance is here (use your FAS to login):
> > https://fedorahosted.org/eclipse-fedorapackager/
> >
> > If you have questions, run into problems or would be interested in
> > contributing please let me know:
>
> I wanting to package something new. Is this the right kind of tool or
>
> does it require the package to exist in git? In any case I'll have a
> crack at it and let you know how I go.

That's great! If you'd like to package software which is not yet in
Fedora and you haven't packaged anything for Fedora before, you need
to get yourself sponsored and get a Git repository created for you.

Follow instructions here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

Eclipse Fedora Packager would come into play once the Git repository
has been created (Section 2.1.15 onwards - "Check out the module").
I think, Eclipse Fedora Packager would be a great tool if you are new
to Fedora Packaging. Instead of following sections 2.1.15-2.1.20 you
could use the Eclipse plug-in. It's a substitute for fedpkg (at least
for the most part).

As Alex mentioned, since you would be creating an RPM-spec-file from
scratch while following the above process, eclipse-rpmstubby would be
a great tool to generate some RPM-spec-file templates to build upon
for you. More info here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/SpecfileEditor/User_Guide#Creating_a_New_Specfile

Let us know if you have more questions.

Cheers,