Old 10-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Marius Andreiana

Default handling env variables like JAVA_HOME, M2_HOME...

How can Fedora work out of the box with apps requiring env variables like JAVA_HOME, M2_HOME ?

Today, even though fedora provides java & maven, one still has to manually set these vars. Should Fedora java/maven packages set these (e.g. by files in /etc/profile.d/), while still allowing users to overwrite them in ~/.bash_profile?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:51 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 04:21:11PM +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> How can Fedora work out of the box with apps requiring env variables like
> JAVA_HOME, M2_HOME ?
>
> Today, even though fedora provides java & maven, one still has to manually
> set these vars. Should Fedora java/maven packages set these (e.g. by files
> in /etc/profile.d/), while still allowing users to overwrite them in
> ~/.bash_profile?

I guess so, but seems better to avoid needing the variables in the
first place. It seems that JAVA_HOME is not required, provided you
are using the default Fedora package. (At least, that is my
impression from a small test I just did.)

Rich.

PS. yikes, Java is so verbose ...

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Stanislav Ochotnicky

On 10/17/2010 03:21 PM, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> How can Fedora work out of the box with apps requiring env variables
> like JAVA_HOME, M2_HOME ?
>
> Today, even though fedora provides java & maven, one still has to
> manually set these vars. Should Fedora java/maven packages set these
> (e.g. by files in /etc/profile.d/), while still allowing users to
> overwrite them in ~/.bash_profile?

Please be specific. What application wouldn't work? Even better...output
from running the app?

PGP: 71A1677C
Red Hat Inc. http://cz.redhat.com