Old 10-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Petr Lautrbach

Default upstart in rawhide

Hello,

systemd will be default init system in Fedora 15 and scripts infrastructure will be adapted to it.
There is a plan to leave upstart in Fedora as non-official alternative.

For now (since upstart-0.6.5-12.fc15):

- upstart-sysvinit is no longer created

- upstart requires sysvinit-userspace (now provided by systemd) which provides upstart compatible
utilities /sbin/halt,poweroff,reboot,shutdown,telinit

- conflicting upstart utilities are located in /lib/upstart

- jobs definitions in /etc/init/ are already packaged in upstart but still taken
from initscripts upstream git

- to use upstart as init you need to pass init=/sbin/upstart to kernel command line e.g. via grub.conf

There will be probably more changes like resolving file conflicts on /sbin utilities, rc.sysinit,
/etc/init.d/halt and man pages which are currently not shipped.

Any objections and comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Petr
--
Petr Lautrbach, Red Hat, Inc.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Adam Williamson

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 17:13 +0200, Petr Lautrbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> systemd will be default init system in Fedora 15 and scripts infrastructure will be adapted to it.
> There is a plan to leave upstart in Fedora as non-official alternative.

Why?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Casey Dahlin

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:36:53AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 17:13 +0200, Petr Lautrbach wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > systemd will be default init system in Fedora 15 and scripts infrastructure will be adapted to it.
> > There is a plan to leave upstart in Fedora as non-official alternative.
>
> Why?

Same reason initng is still around: someone's willing to do the work to
maintain it. Specifically Petr (who I'll turn maintainership over to
soon).

--CJD

Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 PM
M A Young

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 17:13 +0200, Petr Lautrbach wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> systemd will be default init system in Fedora 15 and scripts infrastructure will be adapted to it.
>> There is a plan to leave upstart in Fedora as non-official alternative.
>
> Why?

It makes perfect sense to me, as there could easily be things that don't
work with systemd and "submit a bug report then use upstart" is a more
appropriate answer than "don't use rawhide/F15 until it is fixed" or "try
Ubuntu". Also upstart is in the contingency plan for the systemd feature.

Michael Young

Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Kevin Kofler

Petr Lautrbach wrote:
> systemd will be default init system in Fedora 15 and scripts
> infrastructure will be adapted to it. There is a plan to leave upstart in
> Fedora as non-official alternative.

I don't think this is a good idea at all. We want users still on upstart to
get automatically migrated to systemd, so having systemd obsolete upstart at
RPM level is the best way to get there. I also don't see what we have to
gain from having a redundant init system in the distribution.

Kevin Kofler

Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Adam Williamson

> Petr Lautrbach wrote:
> > systemd will be default init system in Fedora 15 and scripts
> > infrastructure will be adapted to it. There is a plan to leave upstart in
> > Fedora as non-official alternative.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea at all. We want users still on upstart to
> get automatically migrated to systemd, so having systemd obsolete upstart at
> RPM level is the best way to get there.

AFAIK, this will be the case. Petr didn't say it wouldn't be.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Jon Masters

> On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 01:13 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Petr Lautrbach wrote:
> > > systemd will be default init system in Fedora 15 and scripts
> > > infrastructure will be adapted to it. There is a plan to leave upstart in
> > > Fedora as non-official alternative.
> >
> > I don't think this is a good idea at all. We want users still on upstart to
> > get automatically migrated to systemd, so having systemd obsolete upstart at
> > RPM level is the best way to get there.
>
> AFAIK, this will be the case. Petr didn't say it wouldn't be.

I think there's value in having the option to switch to upstart for at
least F15, while the default of systemd is working nicely now. Then,
upstart can be discontinued in F16 or whenever.

Jon.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Petr Lautrbach

On 10/15/2010 01:13 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Petr Lautrbach wrote:
>> systemd will be default init system in Fedora 15 and scripts
>> infrastructure will be adapted to it. There is a plan to leave upstart in
>> Fedora as non-official alternative.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea at all. We want users still on upstart to
> get automatically migrated to systemd, so having systemd obsolete upstart at
> RPM level is the best way to get there. I also don't see what we have to
> gain from having a redundant init system in the distribution.

For now is obsolete mechanisms replaced by dependency upstart on sysinit-userspace
which is provided by systemd. So that you will use/boot to systemd after
update to upstart-0.6.5-12.fc15 unless you have 'init=/sbin/upstart'

Regards,

Petr
--
Petr Lautrbach, Red Hat, Inc.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Kevin Kofler

Petr Lautrbach wrote:
> For now is obsolete mechanisms replaced by dependency upstart on
> sysinit-userspace which is provided by systemd. So that you will use/boot
> to systemd after update to upstart-0.6.5-12.fc15 unless you have
> 'init=/sbin/upstart'

This means users will get both on upgrade even if they'll never use upstart
again. This sucks.

Kevin Kofler