Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Petr Sabata

Default Packaging dwm

Hey,

I've been thinking about packaging dwm [1] since we already ship dmenu and
dzen2. I wonder if anybody would be interested in this fine window manager
(except for me).

The problem here: dwm is configured solely in C and has to be recompiled
every time a user wants to change their settings (appearance, behavior,
shortcuts, etc). In my opinion, we could do it like this:

- install a Fedora preconfigured version along with dwm sources
- copy its configuration (C header file) to some fixed location for
user to customize
- provide a script to recompile dwm locally using the local
configuration file

Would this be acceptable for a window manager in Fedora? Would anybody be
interested in this?

Thanks, Petr

[1] http://dwm.suckless.org/

--
Petr 'contyk' Sabata, Red Hat, Brno

Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Rudolf Kastl

2010/10/13 Petr Sabata <psabata@redhat.com>:
> Hey,
>
> I've been thinking about packaging dwm [1] since we already ship dmenu and
> dzen2. I wonder if anybody would be interested in this fine window manager
> (except for me).
>
> The problem here: dwm is configured solely in C and has to be recompiled
> every time a user wants to change their settings (appearance, behavior,
> shortcuts, etc). In my opinion, we could do it like this:
>
> * *- install a Fedora preconfigured version along with dwm sources
> * *- copy its configuration (C header file) to some fixed location for
> * * *user to customize
> * *- provide a script to recompile dwm locally using the local
> * * *configuration file
>
> Would this be acceptable for a window manager in Fedora? *Would anybody be
> interested in this?

Well i have packages here of dwm and wmii. Personally i like both of
them but the default configuration has the problem that the default
key for triggering functionality doesent work in all keyboard
mappings. wmii is probably easier to package. if you need help with
that drop me an email.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Kevin Kofler

Petr Sabata wrote:
> I've been thinking about packaging dwm [1] since we already ship dmenu and
> dzen2. I wonder if anybody would be interested in this fine window manager
> (except for me).

I think it's completely unreasonable to package that software, because of
this:

> The problem here: dwm is configured solely in C and has to be recompiled
> every time a user wants to change their settings (appearance, behavior,
> shortcuts, etc). In my opinion, we could do it like this:
>
> - install a Fedora preconfigured version along with dwm sources
> - copy its configuration (C header file) to some fixed location for
> user to customize
> - provide a script to recompile dwm locally using the local
> configuration file

Such a program is basically not packagable.

Kevin Kofler

Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Jesse Keating

Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Matt McCutchen

> Petr Sabata wrote:
> > I've been thinking about packaging dwm [1] since we already ship dmenu and
> > dzen2. I wonder if anybody would be interested in this fine window manager
> > (except for me).
>
> I think it's completely unreasonable to package that software, because of
> this:
>
> > The problem here: dwm is configured solely in C and has to be recompiled
> > every time a user wants to change their settings (appearance, behavior,
> > shortcuts, etc). In my opinion, we could do it like this:
> >
> > - install a Fedora preconfigured version along with dwm sources
> > - copy its configuration (C header file) to some fixed location for
> > user to customize
> > - provide a script to recompile dwm locally using the local
> > configuration file
>
> Such a program is basically not packagable.

It can't be packaged in the sense of shipping binaries. But if a
wrapper script is provided that automatically recompiles dwm for the
individual user whenever necessary, the software could be packaged in
the sense that it could be installed and updated with yum and would be
functional without user intervention. The latter is my definition of
"packageable". Compare to the akmods offered by RPM Fusion.

--
Matt

Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Ben Boeckel

Matt McCutchen <matt@mattmccutchen.net> wrote:
> It can't be packaged in the sense of shipping binaries. But if a
> wrapper script is provided that automatically recompiles dwm for the
> individual user whenever necessary, the software could be packaged in
> the sense that it could be installed and updated with yum and would be
> functional without user intervention. The latter is my definition of
> "packageable". Compare to the akmods offered by RPM Fusion.

This is something like XMonad. XMonad, the code, is really just a
library for writing your own window manager. A default is provided and a
tool to manage the building of the actual window manager executable is
offered. Whether upstream will accept such a tool is the question. If
not, it can probably be maintained in a separate repository (dwm-manager
which Requires: dwm-devel, dwm Requires: dwm-manager to get
out-of-the-box support).

We do something similar for uzbl which is also in a similar boat (though
without the compilation step).

uzbl -> default settings (uzbl-tabbed and uzbl-defaults)
uzbl-core -> main program
uzbl-browser -> default tools to get a basic browser (what I use
with custom configuration)
uzbl-tabbed -> tabbed browsing
uzbl-defaults -> default configuration and scripts (Requires: on
tools used go here)

Hope this helps.

--Ben

Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Petr Sabata

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 09:34:22PM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 01:48 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Petr Sabata wrote:
> > > I've been thinking about packaging dwm [1] since we already ship dmenu and
> > > dzen2. I wonder if anybody would be interested in this fine window manager
> > > (except for me).
> >
> > I think it's completely unreasonable to package that software, because of
> > this:
> >
> > > The problem here: dwm is configured solely in C and has to be recompiled
> > > every time a user wants to change their settings (appearance, behavior,
> > > shortcuts, etc). In my opinion, we could do it like this:
> > >
> > > - install a Fedora preconfigured version along with dwm sources
> > > - copy its configuration (C header file) to some fixed location for
> > > user to customize
> > > - provide a script to recompile dwm locally using the local
> > > configuration file
> >
> > Such a program is basically not packagable.
>
> It can't be packaged in the sense of shipping binaries. But if a
> wrapper script is provided that automatically recompiles dwm for the
> individual user whenever necessary, the software could be packaged in
> the sense that it could be installed and updated with yum and would be
> functional without user intervention. The latter is my definition of
> "packageable". Compare to the akmods offered by RPM Fusion.

I suppose rebuilding for every individual user would also be possible. I guess
the best way to do that without any user intervention would be to rebuild every
time a user's X session is started -- it's so small one would hardly notice it.

I created this draft based on my yesterdays email:
http://psabata.fedorapeople.org/dwm/dwm-5.8.2-1.fc13.src.rpm

However, there are some limitations when compared to your approach:
1. One has to manually call dwm-reconfigure to rebuild dwm with their
configuration
2. All users in the system share the same settings (this is worse)

So, the new idea:

package dwm:
- installs binaries with default configuration only
- depends on dmenu and xterm
package dwm-user (or whatever):
- installs dwm sources and a "dwm-start" script which:
- checks for, say, ~/.dwm.config.def.h;
runs default dwm if it's not present, or
recompiles dwm in ~/.dwm with the user configuration and runs it
if the config's there (and possibly has changed since the last
time)
- depends on dwm, gcc, make and Xlib-devel

Petr

Old 10-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Kevin Kofler

Matt McCutchen wrote:
> It can't be packaged in the sense of shipping binaries. But if a
> wrapper script is provided that automatically recompiles dwm for the
> individual user whenever necessary, the software could be packaged in
> the sense that it could be installed and updated with yum and would be
> functional without user intervention. The latter is my definition of
> "packageable". Compare to the akmods offered by RPM Fusion.

Akmods are a horribly ugly hack which is a very bad example to follow. (In
fact, I strongly recommend against using akmods, the binary kmods follow
packaging best practices much more.)

Kevin Kofler

Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Andrew Haley

On 10/13/2010 10:04 AM, Petr Sabata wrote:

> I've been thinking about packaging dwm [1] since we already ship dmenu and
> dzen2. I wonder if anybody would be interested in this fine window manager
> (except for me).
>
> The problem here: dwm is configured solely in C and has to be recompiled
> every time a user wants to change their settings (appearance, behavior,
> shortcuts, etc). In my opinion, we could do it like this:
>
> - install a Fedora preconfigured version along with dwm sources
> - copy its configuration (C header file) to some fixed location for
> user to customize
> - provide a script to recompile dwm locally using the local
> configuration file

It doesn't make any sense at all to have a system-wide preconfigured
version installed.

Surely the RPM should simply install the sources, along with a script
that the user can run to copy the config files to the user's homedir
and build dwm. The user would then have their own private copy of
dwm.

Andrew.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Andrew Haley

On 10/14/2010 01:13 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 02:04 AM, Petr Sabata wrote:
>> The problem here: dwm is configured solely in C and has to be recompiled
>> every time a user wants to change their settings (appearance, behavior,
>> shortcuts, etc).
>
> Am i the only one that finds it hilarious that this thing is named
> "Dynamic Window Manager"? So dynamic, you gotta recompile to change
> anything....

I dunno, it sounds a lot easier than reconfiguring some window managers!

;-)

Andrew.