FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Chris Adams
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

I noticed that ethtool is not in the default install anymore (probably
for a release or so, but I didn't notice it until now). Why is that?
It is the only tool that can show and configure a variety of network
device options, such as speed/duplex negotiation, wake-on-LAN, and TCP
offloading. There is support in the ifcfg-eth* files for calling it as
part of interface setup (don't know if that's carried forward to NM,
should be considered a bug in NM if not).

Is there a replacement that I'm not aware of?

I have run into flakey switches and such where you have to force
speed/duplex to communicate (yes, such switches are crap, but when it
isn't your network, you don't get to choose). Not having a tool to do
that already installed makes it impossible to fix.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Gregory Maxwell
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> I noticed that ethtool is not in the default install anymore (probably
> for a release or so, but I didn't notice it until now). *Why is that?
> It is the only tool that can show and configure a variety of network
> device options, such as speed/duplex negotiation, wake-on-LAN, and TCP
> offloading. *There is support in the ifcfg-eth* files for calling it as
> part of interface setup (don't know if that's carried forward to NM,
> should be considered a bug in NM if not).

mii-tool.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Matt McCutchen
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 19:37 -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > I noticed that ethtool is not in the default install anymore [...]
>
> mii-tool.

The mii-tool man page claims it is deprecated in favor of ethtool. In
fact, neither is in any comps groups:

# yum info-groups ethtool net-tools
...
==================== Installed Packages ====================
-- Unknown -- 2 (100%)
2:ethtool-2.6.33-0.1.fc13.x86_64
net-tools-1.60-103.fc13.x86_64

==================== Available Packages ====================
-- Unknown -- 3 (100%)
2:ethtool-2.6.33-0.1.fc13.x86_64
net-tools-1.60-102.fc13.x86_64
net-tools-1.60-103.fc13.x86_64

--
Matt

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 10/12/10 4:28 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> I noticed that ethtool is not in the default install anymore (probably
> for a release or so, but I didn't notice it until now). Why is that?
> It is the only tool that can show and configure a variety of network
> device options, such as speed/duplex negotiation, wake-on-LAN, and TCP
> offloading. There is support in the ifcfg-eth* files for calling it as
> part of interface setup (don't know if that's carried forward to NM,
> should be considered a bug in NM if not).
>
> Is there a replacement that I'm not aware of?
>
> I have run into flakey switches and such where you have to force
> speed/duplex to communicate (yes, such switches are crap, but when it
> isn't your network, you don't get to choose). Not having a tool to do
> that already installed makes it impossible to fix.

Looking at comps, it seems ethtool was never listed, so it must have
been pulled in as a dep of something (if it ever was installed by
default). I'd say look at your older systems and see what, if anything,
requires ethtool.

- --
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom≤ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAky08rAACgkQ4v2HLvE71NUV5ACgjimTcwkMIf jmV5psXQ56PqYl
1pwAnjkksjdtGQchxySmYhF4iEbOHiHx
=R2u9
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Chris Adams
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

Once upon a time, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> said:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > I noticed that ethtool is not in the default install anymore (probably
> > for a release or so, but I didn't notice it until now). *Why is that?
> > It is the only tool that can show and configure a variety of network
> > device options, such as speed/duplex negotiation, wake-on-LAN, and TCP
> > offloading. *There is support in the ifcfg-eth* files for calling it as
> > part of interface setup (don't know if that's carried forward to NM,
> > should be considered a bug in NM if not).
>
> mii-tool.

Does that work with all NICs now? I used to run into NICs that it
didn't handle (but ethtool did). I haven't looked at mii-tool in a
while though.

In any case, that handles one thing that ethtool does (speed/duplex);
what about the rest? Also, AFAIK there's no nice hook to run mii-tool
(or anything else) in ifup-eth like there is for ethtool.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Chris Adams
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

Once upon a time, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> said:
> Looking at comps, it seems ethtool was never listed, so it must have
> been pulled in as a dep of something (if it ever was installed by
> default). I'd say look at your older systems and see what, if anything,
> requires ethtool.

It looks like up through F12, initscripts required ethtool (so it was
definately installed by default). I see this in the RPM changelog:

* Mon Feb 15 2010 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> - 9.05-1
- network-functions: don't use ethtool for link state, assorted other cleanups

Of course, there's also this:

* Mon Aug 03 2009 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> - 8.96-1
- only use ethtool for link checking; no more mii-tool

mii-tool gets pulled in by default because initscripts depends on
net-tools. However, the mii-tool declares itself obsolete and
recommends ethtool. Maybe ethtool should be added to @Base?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Michael Cronenworth
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

Chris Adams wrote:
> Maybe ethtool should be added to @Base?

Or patch initscripts to use ethtool instead of deprecated cruft.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Gregory Maxwell
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> said:
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>> > I noticed that ethtool is not in the default install anymore (probably
>> > for a release or so, but I didn't notice it until now). ¬*Why is that?
>> > It is the only tool that can show and configure a variety of network
>> > device options, such as speed/duplex negotiation, wake-on-LAN, and TCP
>> > offloading. ¬*There is support in the ifcfg-eth* files for calling it as
>> > part of interface setup (don't know if that's carried forward to NM,
>> > should be considered a bug in NM if not).
>>
>> mii-tool.
>
> Does that work with all NICs now? ¬*I used to run into NICs that it
> didn't handle (but ethtool did). ¬*I haven't looked at mii-tool in a
> while though.
>
> In any case, that handles one thing that ethtool does (speed/duplex);
> what about the rest? ¬*Also, AFAIK there's no nice hook to run mii-tool
> (or anything else) in ifup-eth like there is for ethtool.

I don't know‚ÄĒ but it also won't let you adjust things like interrupt
mitigation‚ÄĒ which is essential for low latency audio over the network
because lots of cards go into idiotic buffering modes at fairly low
PPS rates and the latency shoots through the roof... (my use case)
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Chris Adams
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

Once upon a time, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> said:
> Chris Adams wrote:
> > Maybe ethtool should be added to @Base?
>
> Or patch initscripts to use ethtool instead of deprecated cruft.

You cut out the part of my email where I quoted the changelog showing
that had already been done.

The net-tools package should be included anyway (although maybe without
mii-tool), as it includes commonly used tools like ifconfig, arp, route,
hostname, netstat, etc. Even if some of those commands are obsoleted by
ip, they are pretty much required for compatiblity. net-tools also has
ether-wake for sending wake-on-LAN packets.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Matthew Miller
 
Default ethtool not in default system anymore?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 07:06:50PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> It looks like up through F12, initscripts required ethtool (so it was
> definately installed by default). I see this in the RPM changelog:

Still the case in RHEL5, FWIW.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect -- Instructional & Research Computing Services
Harvard School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org