Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Bill Nottingham

Default A comps group for the Design Suite

Ankur Sinha (sanjay.ankur@gmail.com) said:
> Since the design team is using a "design suite", would it be possible to
> please create a group in comps for the purpose? It would make
> installation of the design suite much easier for end users.
>
> The alternative is to create a meta package which isn't welcomed.
>
> This[1] is the tentative list of packages.
>
> [1]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite_Planning#Included

There appears to be a lot of overlap here with the graphics group
(and some with other groups). Perhaps it's best to just expand
that group into a more full-fledged design suite?

Bill

Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Ankur Sinha

Hello,

--
Thanks!
Regards,

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha

"FranciscoD"

Old 10-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 10/12/2010 09:25 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Ankur Sinha (sanjay.ankur@gmail.com) said:
>> Since the design team is using a "design suite", would it be possible to
>> please create a group in comps for the purpose? It would make
>> installation of the design suite much easier for end users.
>>
>> The alternative is to create a meta package which isn't welcomed.
>>
>> This[1] is the tentative list of packages.
>>
>> [1]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite_Planning#Included
>
> There appears to be a lot of overlap here with the graphics group
> (and some with other groups). Perhaps it's best to just expand
> that group into a more full-fledged design suite?

They are different things: the graphics group is the sum of all packages
about graphics, a "design suite" group would be a way for people to
install the Design Suite Spin (a collection of "best of breed" apps) if
they already have Fedora installed.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Bill Nottingham

Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro) said:
> > There appears to be a lot of overlap here with the graphics group
> > (and some with other groups). Perhaps it's best to just expand
> > that group into a more full-fledged design suite?
>
> They are different things: the graphics group is the sum of all packages
> about graphics, a "design suite" group would be a way for people to
> install the Design Suite Spin (a collection of "best of breed" apps) if
> they already have Fedora installed.

Right, but I'm saying that the "Design Suite" group might be more
appropriate in all cases.

Bill

Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Matthew Miller

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:50:09AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > They are different things: the graphics group is the sum of all packages
> > about graphics, a "design suite" group would be a way for people to
> > install the Design Suite Spin (a collection of "best of breed" apps) if
> > they already have Fedora installed.
> Right, but I'm saying that the "Design Suite" group might be more
> appropriate in all cases.

Yeah. I've *never* found the graphics group to be useful. I almost always
only want specific applications, and the categorization isn't as useful as
searching. Making a group with thoughtfully-picked choices sounds great.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>

Old 10-16-2010, 05:24 AM
Ankur Sinha

> Right, but I'm saying that the "Design Suite" group might be more
> appropriate in all cases.

hello,

Do you mean getting rid of the "Graphics" group and creating a new
"Design Suite" group?

Is there a procedure for this? I mean like filing a ticket some place?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Chris Jones

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 10:54 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 11:50 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Right, but I'm saying that the "Design Suite" group might be more
> > appropriate in all cases.
>
> hello,
>
> Do you mean getting rid of the "Graphics" group and creating a new
> "Design Suite" group?
>
> Is there a procedure for this? I mean like filing a ticket some place?
> --

I'm confused about the whole conversation. What exactly are you talking
about Bill when you refer to creating a new "comps" group?

Regards

--

Chris Jones

PHOTO RESOLUTIONS - Photo - Graphic - Web
www: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com
@: chrisjones@comcen.com.au
ABN: 98 317 740 240

Old 10-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 16:27 +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> I'm confused about the whole conversation. What exactly are you
> talking
> about Bill when you refer to creating a new "comps" group?

hello,

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=comps.git;a=blob;f=comps-f15.xml.in;h=03ff321a6e75a210816acf4e05a90f1d4dd0f 429;hb=refs/heads/master

Groups that you get when you go "yum grouplist"

Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 10/16/2010 09:27 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 10:54 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 11:50 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> Right, but I'm saying that the "Design Suite" group might be more
>>> appropriate in all cases.
>>
>> Do you mean getting rid of the "Graphics" group and creating a new
>> "Design Suite" group?
>>
>> Is there a procedure for this? I mean like filing a ticket some place?
>
> I'm confused about the whole conversation. What exactly are you talking
> about Bill when you refer to creating a new "comps" group?

When you run any other spin than the Design Suite the ability to run
"yum groupinstall design-suite" and automatically get *all* the goodies
provided by that spin.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Bill Nottingham

Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro) said:
> >> Do you mean getting rid of the "Graphics" group and creating a new
> >> "Design Suite" group?
> >>
> >> Is there a procedure for this? I mean like filing a ticket some place?
> >
> > I'm confused about the whole conversation. What exactly are you talking
> > about Bill when you refer to creating a new "comps" group?
>
> When you run any other spin than the Design Suite the ability to run
> "yum groupinstall design-suite" and automatically get *all* the goodies
> provided by that spin.

Right, it would be (for Fedora 15, *not* 14) renaming the graphics grop
to the 'design suite' group, and adjusting the package list appropriately.

Bill