Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Nathaniel McCallum

Default RFC: Upgrade Banshee to 1.8.0 in F13

I'd like to propose that we upgrade banshee (and
banshee-community-extensions) to 1.8.0 in F13. I estimate that this
will close about half our open bugs. Doing this will require the
following package upgrades in F13:

* clutter-sharp - Upgrade (I'm pretty sure Banshee is the only user)
* gio-sharp - New
* gudev-sharp - New
* gkeyfile-sharp - New
* gtk-sharp-beans - New
* libgpod - Upgrade (0.7.93 > 0.7.95; bugfix release)

The only thing complicated here is the buildroot override requirement
and making sure that we ship the new banshee-community-extensions in the
same update as the new banshee.

Currently, I do not think it is feasible to backport this to F12, so F13
would be the latest version.

Thoughts? Comments?

Nathaniel

Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Andy Shevchenko

Agree if the maintainer enables the MPRISv2 support there.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Nathaniel McCallum
<nathaniel@natemccallum.com> wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we upgrade banshee (and
> banshee-community-extensions) to 1.8.0 in F13. *I estimate that this
> will close about half our open bugs. *Doing this will require the
> following package upgrades in F13:
>
> * clutter-sharp - Upgrade (I'm pretty sure Banshee is the only user)
> * gio-sharp - New
> * gudev-sharp - New
> * gkeyfile-sharp - New
> * gtk-sharp-beans - New
> * libgpod - Upgrade (0.7.93 > 0.7.95; bugfix release)
>
> The only thing complicated here is the buildroot override requirement
> and making sure that we ship the new banshee-community-extensions in the
> same update as the new banshee.
>
> Currently, I do not think it is feasible to backport this to F12, so F13
> would be the latest version.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?
>
> Nathaniel

With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

Old 10-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Nathaniel McCallum

Well, seeing as I am one of the maintainers, I don't have a problem with
that. Does anyone know if it is disabled for a reason?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Nathaniel McCallum

I don't actually see that as a build option in either banshee or
banshee-community-extensions. Am I missing something?

Nathaniel

Old 10-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Andy Shevchenko

There is the file in the source tree called 'Banshee.Mpris.addin.xml'.
It contains plugin info (? sorry, I'm not familiar with c# projects at
all), where
defaultEnabled="false"

And commit which brought that support tells the same "by default it's disabled"

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Nathaniel McCallum
<nathaniel@natemccallum.com> wrote:
> I don't actually see that as a build option in either banshee or
> banshee-community-extensions. *Am I missing something?
>
> Nathaniel
>
> On 10/11/2010 12:38 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>> Agree if the maintainer enables the MPRISv2 support there.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Nathaniel McCallum
>> <nathaniel@natemccallum.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to propose that we upgrade banshee (and
>>> banshee-community-extensions) to 1.8.0 in F13. *I estimate that this
>>> will close about half our open bugs. *Doing this will require the
>>> following package upgrades in F13:
>>>
>>> * clutter-sharp - Upgrade (I'm pretty sure Banshee is the only user)
>>> * gio-sharp - New
>>> * gudev-sharp - New
>>> * gkeyfile-sharp - New
>>> * gtk-sharp-beans - New
>>> * libgpod - Upgrade (0.7.93 > 0.7.95; bugfix release)
>>>
>>> The only thing complicated here is the buildroot override requirement
>>> and making sure that we ship the new banshee-community-extensions in the
>>> same update as the new banshee.
>>>
>>> Currently, I do not think it is feasible to backport this to F12, so F13
>>> would be the latest version.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Comments?
>>>
>>> Nathaniel
>>> --

With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Nathaniel McCallum

Christian, do you have any objections to enabling this?

Nathaniel

Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Andy Shevchenko

Ah, if I understand correctly you don't need to do anything. It's just
default which is off, and could be on by user demand. But, it would be
better to have the default is "on".

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Nathaniel McCallum
<nathaniel@natemccallum.com> wrote:
> Christian, do you have any objections to enabling this?
>
> Nathaniel
>
> On 10/11/2010 01:16 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>> There is the file in the source tree called 'Banshee.Mpris.addin.xml'.
>> It contains plugin info (? sorry, I'm not familiar with c# projects at
>> all), where
>> * * *defaultEnabled="false"
>>
>> And commit which brought that support tells the same "by default it's disabled"
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Nathaniel McCallum
>> <nathaniel@natemccallum.com> wrote:
>>> I don't actually see that as a build option in either banshee or
>>> banshee-community-extensions. *Am I missing something?
>>>
>>> Nathaniel

With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:20:54 -0400
Nathaniel McCallum <nathaniel@natemccallum.com> wrote:

> I'd like to propose that we upgrade banshee (and
> banshee-community-extensions) to 1.8.0 in F13. I estimate that this
> will close about half our open bugs. Doing this will require the
> following package upgrades in F13:
>
> * clutter-sharp - Upgrade (I'm pretty sure Banshee is the only user)
> * gio-sharp - New
> * gudev-sharp - New
> * gkeyfile-sharp - New
> * gtk-sharp-beans - New
> * libgpod - Upgrade (0.7.93 > 0.7.95; bugfix release)
>
> The only thing complicated here is the buildroot override requirement
> and making sure that we ship the new banshee-community-extensions in
> the same update as the new banshee.
>
> Currently, I do not think it is feasible to backport this to F12, so
> F13 would be the latest version.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

Well, lets see:

F13 currently has version 1.6.1 in it. Looks like they follow an 'odd
is unstable/devel, even is release/stable' method. So, all the 1.7.x
releases were development ones.

I see a lot of bugs fixed, but also a bunch of new features:
http://banshee.fm/download/archives/1.8.0/

I see 9 open fedora bugs.

Has the UI changed since 1.6.1? I would suspect so.

Would the libgpod update require rebuilding or changing anything else?
How many other packages depend on that?

So, this seems to me to be something that would need more rationale/a
stable updates exception.

All just IMHO.

kevin

Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Todd Zullinger

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Would the libgpod update require rebuilding or changing anything
> else? How many other packages depend on that?

The libgpod update should be safe. Though if it was up to me I'd wait
for libgpod to reach 0.8.0. Upstream is treating 0.7.95 like a
release candidate. I don't know how long it might take though.

The big change between 0.7.93 and 0.7.95 is that the mono bindings
were added, which is what Banshee 1.8 needs. I don't have an opinion
on whether Banshee should or shouldn't be updated in a stable release.
I don't use it.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Nathaniel McCallum

On 10/11/2010 01:50 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Would the libgpod update require rebuilding or changing anything
>> else? How many other packages depend on that?
>
> The libgpod update should be safe. Though if it was up to me I'd wait
> for libgpod to reach 0.8.0. Upstream is treating 0.7.95 like a
> release candidate. I don't know how long it might take though.
>
> The big change between 0.7.93 and 0.7.95 is that the mono bindings
> were added, which is what Banshee 1.8 needs. I don't have an opinion
> on whether Banshee should or shouldn't be updated in a stable release.
> I don't use it.

As someone who works closely with upstream, I can attest that 0.7.95 has
no API/ABI changes and can be seamlessly upgraded without rebuilds. 0.8
will probably be released (and packaged by me) before any of this hits
F13. I only mentioned 0.7.95 since banshee requires this version or later.

One should keep in mind that the 0.7.9x series is the development series
leading up to 0.8.0. Since 0.7.93 is already in F13, 0.8.0 is a natural
upgrade path.

There is only one change in 0.7.95 that may cause problems with existing
apps: stop_sync() must be called an equal number of times in order to
make the "Syncing..." screen on iphones/ipads/ipod touches disappear.
Previously the screen was removed after the first call to stop_sync()
(this was a bug in libgpod). Since stop_sync() should be called once
per start_sync() invocation, this should not be a problem and since it
is a known issue, we know how to test for it. Applications depending on
the previous behaviour were depending on a bug. Worst case is an
entirely cosmetic bug.

Nathaniel