FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Garrett Holmstrom
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
>> After made some changes in origin/master and commit is I also must do
>> for each available branches something similar:
>> fedpkg switch-branch el5;
>> git pull
>> git merge origin/master
>> git push
>> fedpkg build
>> fedpkg update
>
> Does that not mangle the changelog of the different branches?

Only if they diverge after they have been initially merged. If every
branch is the same it makes history easier to track.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:03:04 +0400
"Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)" <forum@hubbitus.com.ru> wrote:

> In most cases I try sync all branches if there no real reasons to
> make differences.

...snip...

I would hope a real reason would be that the update is not a security
or bugfix only update, right?

kevin
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Farkas Levente
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

On 10/08/2010 04:03 PM, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
> In most cases I try sync all branches if there no real reasons to make
> differences.
>
> After made some changes in origin/master and commit is I also must do
> for each available branches something similar:
> fedpkg switch-branch el5;
> git pull
> git merge origin/master
> git push
> fedpkg build
> fedpkg update
>
> Off course I can script it with shell, but may be there already
> possibility to "commit in few branches"? Something like this:
> fedpkg commit -F clog -B "f12,f13,f14,el5,el6"
>
> And will be very cool to start build and push updates (by single
> template interactively filled one time) also for several branches.

+1. i like to do the same.


--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Jeff Fearn
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 13:56 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:03:04 +0400
> "Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)" <forum@hubbitus.com.ru> wrote:
>
> > In most cases I try sync all branches if there no real reasons to
> > make differences.
>
> ...snip...
>
> I would hope a real reason would be that the update is not a security
> or bugfix only update, right?

IMHO it depends on what kind of software it is.

I push releases of applications to all current Fedora releases. The
users want the new features, it's what they have been bugging me for.

If I was working on glibc or X I might not do that, but applications
should be pushed back unless there is some system level constraint
preventing it.

So I too would like a "commit to all branches" or "sync all branches to
this one" command.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn@redhat.com>
Software Engineer
Engineering Operations
Red Hat, Inc
Freedom ... courage ... Commitment ... ACCOUNTABILITY

Sure our competitors can rebuild the source but can they engage the customer the same way? -wmealing

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Matt Domsch
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 06:03:04PM +0400, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
> In most cases I try sync all branches if there no real reasons to make
> differences.
>
> After made some changes in origin/master and commit is I also must do
> for each available branches something similar:
> fedpkg switch-branch el5;
> git pull
> git merge origin/master
> git push
> fedpkg build
> fedpkg update


I find this works to apply the version from 'master' into the current
(say, el5) branch.

$ git merge -s recursive -X theirs master

There are valid reasons for doing this - e.g. a bug fix release of a
package by the upstream, that doesn't break the ABI.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist
Dell | Office of the CTO
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:07:17 +1000
Jeff Fearn <jfearn@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 13:56 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:03:04 +0400
> > "Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)" <forum@hubbitus.com.ru> wrote:
> >
> > > In most cases I try sync all branches if there no real reasons to
> > > make differences.
> >
> > ...snip...
> >
> > I would hope a real reason would be that the update is not a
> > security or bugfix only update, right?
>
> IMHO it depends on what kind of software it is.
>
> I push releases of applications to all current Fedora releases. The
> users want the new features, it's what they have been bugging me for.
>
> If I was working on glibc or X I might not do that, but applications
> should be pushed back unless there is some system level constraint
> preventing it.
>
> So I too would like a "commit to all branches" or "sync all branches
> to this one" command.

If it doesn't change the user experience, and fixes bugs or security
issues, then great. If it's a major update which does change the
user experience, breaks ABI/API, or adds a bunch of new functionality,
then please don't.

kevin
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Jeffrey Fearn
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:07:17 +1000
> Jeff Fearn <jfearn@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 13:56 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:03:04 +0400
>>> "Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)" <forum@hubbitus.com.ru> wrote:
>>>
>>>> In most cases I try sync all branches if there no real reasons to
>>>> make differences.
>>> ...snip...
>>>
>>> I would hope a real reason would be that the update is not a
>>> security or bugfix only update, right?
>> IMHO it depends on what kind of software it is.
>>
>> I push releases of applications to all current Fedora releases. The
>> users want the new features, it's what they have been bugging me for.
>>
>> If I was working on glibc or X I might not do that, but applications
>> should be pushed back unless there is some system level constraint
>> preventing it.
>>
>> So I too would like a "commit to all branches" or "sync all branches
>> to this one" command.
>
> If it doesn't change the user experience, and fixes bugs or security
> issues, then great. If it's a major update which does change the
> user experience, breaks ABI/API, or adds a bunch of new functionality,
> then please don't.

If you want ABI stability buy RHEL or use CentOS, because clearly your
requirements are completely different from the requirements of most of
the users of my software. They'd go batty if I tried to tell them they
had to use rawhide to get a new feature.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn@redhat.com>
Software Engineer
Engineering Operations
Red Hat, Inc
Freedom ... courage ... Commitment ... ACCOUNTABILITY
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Chuck Anderson
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:23:24AM +1000, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:07:17 +1000
> > Jeff Fearn <jfearn@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 13:56 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >>> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:03:04 +0400
> >>> "Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)" <forum@hubbitus.com.ru> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> In most cases I try sync all branches if there no real reasons to
> >>>> make differences.
> >>> ...snip...
> >>>
> >>> I would hope a real reason would be that the update is not a
> >>> security or bugfix only update, right?
> >> IMHO it depends on what kind of software it is.
> >>
> >> I push releases of applications to all current Fedora releases. The
> >> users want the new features, it's what they have been bugging me for.
> >>
> >> If I was working on glibc or X I might not do that, but applications
> >> should be pushed back unless there is some system level constraint
> >> preventing it.
> >>
> >> So I too would like a "commit to all branches" or "sync all branches
> >> to this one" command.
> >
> > If it doesn't change the user experience, and fixes bugs or security
> > issues, then great. If it's a major update which does change the
> > user experience, breaks ABI/API, or adds a bunch of new functionality,
> > then please don't.
>
> If you want ABI stability buy RHEL or use CentOS, because clearly your
> requirements are completely different from the requirements of most of
> the users of my software. They'd go batty if I tried to tell them they
> had to use rawhide to get a new feature.

Surely it would be ok to tell them "use the latest Fedora" so you can
at least leave Fn-1 (currently F12) alone.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Jeffrey Fearn
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:23:24AM +1000, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
>> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:07:17 +1000
>>> Jeff Fearn <jfearn@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 13:56 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>>>> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:03:04 +0400
>>>>> "Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)" <forum@hubbitus.com.ru> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> In most cases I try sync all branches if there no real reasons to
>>>>>> make differences.
>>>>> ...snip...
>>>>>
>>>>> I would hope a real reason would be that the update is not a
>>>>> security or bugfix only update, right?
>>>> IMHO it depends on what kind of software it is.
>>>>
>>>> I push releases of applications to all current Fedora releases. The
>>>> users want the new features, it's what they have been bugging me for.
>>>>
>>>> If I was working on glibc or X I might not do that, but applications
>>>> should be pushed back unless there is some system level constraint
>>>> preventing it.
>>>>
>>>> So I too would like a "commit to all branches" or "sync all branches
>>>> to this one" command.
>>> If it doesn't change the user experience, and fixes bugs or security
>>> issues, then great. If it's a major update which does change the
>>> user experience, breaks ABI/API, or adds a bunch of new functionality,
>>> then please don't.
>> If you want ABI stability buy RHEL or use CentOS, because clearly your
>> requirements are completely different from the requirements of most of
>> the users of my software. They'd go batty if I tried to tell them they
>> had to use rawhide to get a new feature.
>
> Surely it would be ok to tell them "use the latest Fedora" so you can
> at least leave Fn-1 (currently F12) alone.

What do you mean "leave it alone"? The people using it WANT the changes.
Why are you telling them how they can use their system?

They want the changes, it's trivial for me to give them the changes, why
wouldn't I give them the changes?

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn@redhat.com>
Software Engineer
Engineering Operations
Red Hat, Inc
Freedom ... courage ... Commitment ... ACCOUNTABILITY
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Matthew Garrett
 
Default Git commit in all available branches

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:32:15AM +1000, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:

> What do you mean "leave it alone"? The people using it WANT the changes.
> Why are you telling them how they can use their system?

Because by pushing updates you're also potentially making it impossible
for people who don't want new bugs to use Fedora. The board have decided
that that's a class of user that we want to support.

> They want the changes, it's trivial for me to give them the changes, why
> wouldn't I give them the changes?

Because anyone who says that they can provide a software update without
any risk of breaking something that a user currently depends on is
either naive or lying.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org