Old 10-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Ankur Sinha

Default OpenLayers update?

Hello,

Will OpenLayers see any more updates for F13? The version available is
2.8-5.fc12 while latest upstream is 2.10.

I'll file an RFE for update if necessary.
--
Thanks!
Regards,

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha

"FranciscoD"

Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Sven Lankes

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 10:31:00PM +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> Will OpenLayers see any more updates for F13? The version available is
> 2.8-5.fc12 while latest upstream is 2.10.
> I'll file an RFE for update if necessary.

No, sorry.

According to the new fedora update rules, an update like openlayers 2.8
-> 2.10 is no longer allowed as the it could break code that is using
openlayers (e.g. with the OpenLayers.Layer.Google changes).

I have just built 2.10 for F14.

--
sven === jabber/xmpp: sven@lankes.net

Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 00:17 +0200, Sven Lankes wrote:
> No, sorry.
>
> According to the new fedora update rules, an update like openlayers
> 2.8
> -> 2.10 is no longer allowed as the it could break code that is using
> openlayers (e.g. with the OpenLayers.Layer.Google changes).
>
> I have just built 2.10 for F14.

Hello,

I used repoquery and got this:

[Ankur@070905042 ~]$ repoquery --whatrequires openlayers
openlayers-0:2.8-5.fc12.noarch
openlayers-doc-0:2.8-5.fc12.noarch

Does this mean that no other package needs openlayers? If this is the
case, can we update since there won't be any breakages?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Ville Skyttä

On Saturday 09 October 2010, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> Does this mean that no other package needs openlayers? If this is the
> case, can we update since there won't be any breakages?

If an update is known to break dependent software, it breaks it whether the
affected software is in Fedora or not.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 09:42 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> If an update is known to break dependent software, it breaks it
> whether the
> affected software is in Fedora or not.

I just read up the update policy.[1]

This means you either use rawhide for latest packages (no one uses
rawhide for development btw,) or you stay on stable Fedora with a
previous old release of software?

The one thing I loved most about Fedora was having the *latest* the FOSS
had to offer (without having to go rawhide).

Looks like the new update policy just began affecting me XD.

Thank you for the info, I'll build myself an rpm when necessary.

[1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Stable_Releases

Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Ankur Sinha

> That's a pretty broad and unhelpful and untrue statement. I know of
> plenty of people who use rawhide for development. Continuing to
> perpetuate that rawhide is unusable for development only makes things
> worse, by spreading the idea that it's OK to break rawhide.

Hello,

No one *that I know* uses rawhide for development. It's not worth
risking the time to save your box/work when it does break. Even when we
test rawhide, it's generally on a different test box. However, it is
wrong for me to generalise. It's a choice. IMO rawhide is not to be used
for day to day work.

My reply did not perpetuate that it is OK to break rawhide. If people
think that way, it really is their fault.

The thread served it's purpose, we wouldn't want it straying into
another flame war.

Have a good day!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/13/2010 02:37 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 16:01 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> That's a pretty broad and unhelpful and untrue statement. I know of
>> plenty of people who use rawhide for development. Continuing to
>> perpetuate that rawhide is unusable for development only makes things
>> worse, by spreading the idea that it's OK to break rawhide.
>>

> Hello,
>
> No one *that I know* uses rawhide for development. It's not worth
> risking the time to save your box/work when it does break.

Allow me to introduce myself :-) I use a Rawhide box quite often for
testing.

Rahul