Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 AM
Jon Masters

Default systemd service timeout with kdump

Folks,

It would seem that systemd employs some kind of arbitrary timeout (30
seconds?) by default and will log "operation timed out. Terminating" if
things take longer than this time to start up. I would like to know how
to increase this timeout, or to (preferably) disable it entirely.

Certain services, such as kdump.service might require some time to
recreate their initramfs and will thus never be able to start normally
(I'm very surprised if nobody else has seen this type of problem). On
rawhide, I am going to look at the systemd code to see if I have options
already (the man pages didn't turn up anything) but otherwise I guess I
get to run the commands in /etc/init.d/kdump by hand for now

Jon.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Michal Schmidt

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 01:21:03 -0400 Jon Masters wrote:
> It would seem that systemd employs some kind of arbitrary timeout (30
> seconds?)

60 s

> Certain services, such as kdump.service might require some time to
> recreate their initramfs and will thus never be able to start normally
> (I'm very surprised if nobody else has seen this type of problem).

Someone has, bug 635393.

> On rawhide, I am going to look at the systemd code to see if I have
> options already (the man pages didn't turn up anything) but otherwise
> I guess I get to run the commands in /etc/init.d/kdump by hand for
> now

It's "TimeoutSec=...", described in "man systemd.service".

Michal

Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Lennart Poettering

On Fri, 08.10.10 01:21, Jon Masters (jonathan@jonmasters.org) wrote:

> Folks,
>
> It would seem that systemd employs some kind of arbitrary timeout (30
> seconds?) by default and will log "operation timed out. Terminating" if
> things take longer than this time to start up. I would like to know how
> to increase this timeout, or to (preferably) disable it entirely.
>
> Certain services, such as kdump.service might require some time to
> recreate their initramfs and will thus never be able to start normally
> (I'm very surprised if nobody else has seen this type of problem). On
> rawhide, I am going to look at the systemd code to see if I have options
> already (the man pages didn't turn up anything) but otherwise I guess I
> get to run the commands in /etc/init.d/kdump by hand for now

Please report bugs and feature requests to bugzilla. Coincidentally I
fixed this bug yesterday.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.