Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Michał Piotrowski

Default e4defrag support?

Hi,

I'm curious why e4defrag isn't enabled in e2fsprogs. Are there any
problems with this tool?

Regards,
Michal

Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Eric Sandeen

Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious why e4defrag isn't enabled in e2fsprogs. Are there any
> problems with this tool?

It's had really limited testing, and the kernel interface has had
some problems in the past (though I guess that's irrelevant to
shipping the userspace)

I guess it's a little of a chicken-and-egg problem; no binary, no
testing; no testing, I hesitate to unleash the binary, which has
serious data integrity implications.

I think it's going to need some concentrated development & testing
love to get to full readiness.

-Eric

Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Michał Piotrowski

2010/10/6 Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com>:
> Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm curious why e4defrag isn't enabled in e2fsprogs. Are there any
>> problems with this tool?
>
> It's had really limited testing, and the kernel interface has had
> some problems in the past (though I guess that's irrelevant to
> shipping the userspace)
>
> I guess it's a little of a chicken-and-egg problem; no binary, no
> testing; no testing, I hesitate to unleash the binary, which has
> serious data integrity implications.
>
> I think it's going to need some concentrated development & testing
> love to get to full readiness.

I can help with testing. I have some experience in creating test
scripts/cases etc.

> -Eric

Regards,
Michal

Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Eric Sandeen

Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> 2010/10/6 Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com>:
>> Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm curious why e4defrag isn't enabled in e2fsprogs. Are there any
>>> problems with this tool?
>> It's had really limited testing, and the kernel interface has had
>> some problems in the past (though I guess that's irrelevant to
>> shipping the userspace)
>>
>> I guess it's a little of a chicken-and-egg problem; no binary, no
>> testing; no testing, I hesitate to unleash the binary, which has
>> serious data integrity implications.
>>
>> I think it's going to need some concentrated development & testing
>> love to get to full readiness.
>
> I can help with testing. I have some experience in creating test
> scripts/cases etc.

cool! I suppose I could turn it on in rawhide, or you could just
build your own e2fsprogs to get it ...

-Eric

Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 AM
Michał Piotrowski

W dniu 6 października 2010 05:01 użytkownik Eric Sandeen
<sandeen@redhat.com> napisał:
> Michał Piotrowski wrote:

>>> It's had really limited testing, and the kernel interface has had
>>> some problems in the past (though I guess that's irrelevant to
>>> shipping the userspace)
>>>
>>> I guess it's a little of a chicken-and-egg problem; no binary, no
>>> testing; no testing, I hesitate to unleash the binary, which has
>>> serious data integrity implications.
>>>
>>> I think it's going to need some concentrated development & testing
>>> love to get to full readiness.
>>
>> I can help with testing. I have some experience in creating test
>> scripts/cases etc.
>
> cool! *I suppose I could turn it on in rawhide, or you could just
> build your own e2fsprogs to get it ...

I already built my own version.

> -Eric

Regards,
Michal

Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Eric Sandeen

Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> W dniu 6 października 2010 05:01 użytkownik Eric Sandeen
> <sandeen@redhat.com> napisał:

>> cool! I suppose I could turn it on in rawhide, or you could just
>> build your own e2fsprogs to get it ...
>
> I already built my own version.

Ok, let me know if you can break anything!

(Some of my concern, which is admittedly hand-wavy, is the
kernelside design of the thing, but any outright breakage
of the current implementation would be good to find as well)

Some things to test would be attempting to defrag files
which are being actively written to / read from in various
ways - concurrent access, mmap, etc. Also possibly testing large
and/or sparse files, files with extended attributes, testing
enospc conditions ....

If you find a way to break it we can enshrine it as a regression
test in the testsuite.

Thanks!

-Eric

Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com> said:
> Some things to test would be attempting to defrag files
> which are being actively written to / read from in various
> ways - concurrent access, mmap, etc.

Also make sure to test files used by sendfile() and splice()/vmsplice().

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

On 10/05/2010 11:01 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> <snip>
> cool! I suppose I could turn it on in rawhide, or you could just
> build your own e2fsprogs to get it ...
>
> -Eric

Cool if you turn it on in rawhide. Helps those of us who are build
challenged :-). I can test in raid and LV environments.

Regards,
OldFart

Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Eric Sandeen

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 11:01 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> <snip>
>> cool! I suppose I could turn it on in rawhide, or you could just
>> build your own e2fsprogs to get it ...
>>
>> -Eric
>>

> Cool if you turn it on in rawhide. Helps those of us who are build
> challenged :-). I can test in raid and LV environments.

ok... now, everyone promise not to cry if it does something bad
to your rawhide box!

I'll turn it on today... hm I might rename it e4defrag_test for now,
just to make it a little more obvious.

Maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid but it is your data after all

-Eric

Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Frank Murphy

On 06/10/10 16:29, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
<snip>
> Cool if you turn it on in rawhide. Helps those of us who are build
> challenged :-). I can test in raid and LV environments.
>
> Regards,
> OldFart

Likewise, if basic instruction provided.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora