FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Mamoru Tasaka
 
Default Chain builds for non-rawhide

Jesse Keating wrote, at 10/06/2010 05:58 AM +9:00:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On 10/5/10 1:36 PM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am maintaining eclipse-egit and eclipse-jgit. Since
>> eclipse-egit depends on eclipse-jgit it makes sense to
>> use chain-builds when building them (this is simply
>> faster than waiting for eclipse-jgit to build, and
>> become available in the repos before eclipse-git can
>> be built).
>>
>> Ok, that works for rawhide.
>>
>> Unfortunately this isn't possible for non-rawhide releases.
>>
>> I could start speculating and think of reasons as to why
>> that's the case, but rather ask the more knowledgeable
>>
>> So, what were the reasons for not allowing chain-builds
>> for non-rawhide?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>> Severin
>>
>> P.S.: The error message:
>> Could not initiate build: Packages in destination tag
>> dist-f14-updates-candidate are not inherited bybuild
>> tag dist-f14-build
>> doesn't mean much to me. Perhaps an error message
>> indicating that chain-build is not available would be
>> more meaningful.
>
> Sorry that it's terse. Once we branch a release away, we do not have a
> direct relationship between "it built" and "it will be in the public
> repo". As such, it is dangerous to allow just-built items into the
> buildroot for future builds, as this could lead to a package being built
> against software that is never released. A variety of problems happen
> in this scenario. As such, we carefully maintain what goes into the
> buildroots, only by default taking things which have been marked as
> "stable" via bodhi, or things we explicitly tag in for a short period of
> time in order to accomplish a set of builds.
>
> The way to "chain" build for a branch is to request a buildroot override:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO#Working_with_packages_in_the_ stable_branches
>
> That should be easier to find, kudos to anybody that works on making it so.
>
> - --
> Jesse Keating

Well, how about creating "dist-f14-for-chainbuild" build target and allow
people to tag or untag build as/from that tag freely?

For example currently
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildtargetinfo?targetID=67
says that build target "dist-f14-kde" uses "dist-f14-kde" tagged packages
for buildroot, and built packages are tagged as "dist-f14-kde" and
the destination tag "dist-f14-kde" is not locked.
(and on the other hand build target "dist-f14" still exists, using
"dist-f14-build" tagged packages when building but the destination
"dist-f14" is locked)
So as far as I am correct, we can freely do chain-build using dist-f14-kde
build target for F-14 packages. And actually this status was used
when fixing ImageMagick related dependency breakage on F-14
(see latest ImageMagick group update request on F-14 on bodhi,
and tag history on koji for ImageMagick-6.6.4.1-13.fc14,
autotrace-0.31.1-24.fc14.1 for example)

So creating build target for chain-build purpose only seems reasonable
to me.

Regards,
Mamoru
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Chain builds for non-rawhide

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 10/5/10 2:30 PM, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> Well, how about creating "dist-f14-for-chainbuild" build target and allow
> people to tag or untag build as/from that tag freely?
>
> For example currently
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildtargetinfo?targetID=67
> says that build target "dist-f14-kde" uses "dist-f14-kde" tagged packages
> for buildroot, and built packages are tagged as "dist-f14-kde" and
> the destination tag "dist-f14-kde" is not locked.
> (and on the other hand build target "dist-f14" still exists, using
> "dist-f14-build" tagged packages when building but the destination
> "dist-f14" is locked)
> So as far as I am correct, we can freely do chain-build using dist-f14-kde
> build target for F-14 packages. And actually this status was used
> when fixing ImageMagick related dependency breakage on F-14
> (see latest ImageMagick group update request on F-14 on bodhi,
> and tag history on koji for ImageMagick-6.6.4.1-13.fc14,
> autotrace-0.31.1-24.fc14.1 for example)
>
> So creating build target for chain-build purpose only seems reasonable
> to me.
>

Without creating different tags for each and every build attempt, using
a tag like dist-f14-kde would suffer from the same problem as using
dist-f14-updates-candidate. That is something could get built and
tagged into there, that is later either never shipped in an update, or
pulled out of updates-testing due to problems, and we'd be left with any
number of other packages that were built using the now dead package.

In short, it doesn't actually solve any problems to use a
dist-f14-chainbuild like tag.

- --
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkyuS54ACgkQ4v2HLvE71NVozQCfQusa6/0Ic4l0zIrmntFK0hbu
CBcAn1joIneoN8PtuTuxWrXL4AwVEFvW
=RFo/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Thomas Spura
 
Default Chain builds for non-rawhide

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 15:37:19 -0700
Jesse Keating wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On 10/5/10 2:30 PM, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> > Well, how about creating "dist-f14-for-chainbuild" build target and
> > allow people to tag or untag build as/from that tag freely?
> >
> > For example currently
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildtargetinfo?targetID=67
> > says that build target "dist-f14-kde" uses "dist-f14-kde" tagged
> > packages for buildroot, and built packages are tagged as
> > "dist-f14-kde" and the destination tag "dist-f14-kde" is not locked.
> > (and on the other hand build target "dist-f14" still exists, using
> > "dist-f14-build" tagged packages when building but the destination
> > "dist-f14" is locked)
> > So as far as I am correct, we can freely do chain-build using
> > dist-f14-kde build target for F-14 packages. And actually this
> > status was used when fixing ImageMagick related dependency breakage
> > on F-14 (see latest ImageMagick group update request on F-14 on
> > bodhi, and tag history on koji for ImageMagick-6.6.4.1-13.fc14,
> > autotrace-0.31.1-24.fc14.1 for example)
> >
> > So creating build target for chain-build purpose only seems
> > reasonable to me.
> >
>
> Without creating different tags for each and every build attempt,
> using a tag like dist-f14-kde would suffer from the same problem as
> using dist-f14-updates-candidate. That is something could get built
> and tagged into there, that is later either never shipped in an
> update, or pulled out of updates-testing due to problems, and we'd be
> left with any number of other packages that were built using the now
> dead package.
>
> In short, it doesn't actually solve any problems to use a
> dist-f14-chainbuild like tag.

How about let bodhi do the tagging?
When there is an update, you could click on "tag this package", and
bodhi will do the rest. If the update is deleted or obsoleted by
another one, the tag will be deleted again.

This doesn't solve the problem, that maintainers could tag a package
and never push the update out, but that could happen with manual
tagging too, isn't it?

Thomas
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Chain builds for non-rawhide

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 10/7/10 11:59 PM, Thomas Spura wrote:
> How about let bodhi do the tagging?
> When there is an update, you could click on "tag this package", and
> bodhi will do the rest. If the update is deleted or obsoleted by
> another one, the tag will be deleted again.
>
> This doesn't solve the problem, that maintainers could tag a package
> and never push the update out, but that could happen with manual
> tagging too, isn't it?

We've (as in releng and some members of fesco) have discussed something
like this in the past. We've wanted some functionality out of bodhi to
track things like buildroot contents used for packages, and if an update
is requested to go live it would block on whether or not a buildroot
component also has gone live or is requested to go live. Until we get
some sort of automation on prevention of this, we won't likely be
automating or making it easier to do buildroot overrides.

- --
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAky06r0ACgkQ4v2HLvE71NU9VQCfV9FoOrbsNO iZbu00AibJUtd7
3NkAoIA9DDV1AY9pwAFXEjTbuxCAI8yB
=DW7X
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org