Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 PM
mike cloaked

Default Quick question on building f14 isos?

For the past year or so I have built private builds of current Fedora
install isos on an old test machine running f11 using mock/pungi, and
this has generally worked well for me. I use this method to get fully
up to date isos for installs that need almost no updates applying for
the current stable Fedora version, but also I build my own test isos
in the run-up to a new release based on the current packages in the
development repo.

I know that the machine on which I build "should" be updated to a
newer version - but time is against me due to other commitments (my
fault!)

Anyway I tried to build f14 isos on this machine which currently runs
f11 (shameful I know!), and I got lots of "kernel too old" lines in
the terminal when creating the initial mock area when preparing for
the build of f14.

I guess I can't use an f11 machine to build f14 DVD install isos? If
so do I need to run the mock/pungi build for f14 in an f13 machine, or
will a machine running f12 work also?

Thanks in advance if you can help me out on this one.

--
mike c

Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:

> There was a change in glibc during the F14 development cycle that
> requires running a newer kernel in order to run the f14 binaries.
>
> You could probably cheat a new kernel onto F11 and then do the pungi
> compose in a mock chroot of f14 content (I do all the pungi runs in mock
> chroots anyway).

Thanks Jesse. I could try to put a newer kernel into the machine and
see if it works - the machine is only used to do private builds, and
yes I use a mock chroot and run pungi inside it. I had already put in
place a fedora-14-i386.cfg based on the f14 branched repo into
/etc/mock/ and also prepared a .ks file but it was the kernel that
stumped me. So it is no loss if I can't do it on that machine until I
get time to upgrade it. (Well I do also run f13 builds in it but that
will be largely redundant soon, do my main installs with my own builds
to save on yum updates once the installs are done.)

Oh well... c'est la vie!

--
mike c

Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:

> There was a change in glibc during the F14 development cycle that
> requires running a newer kernel in order to run the f14 binaries.
>
> You could probably cheat a new kernel onto F11 and then do the pungi
> compose in a mock chroot of f14 content (I do all the pungi runs in mock
> chroots anyway).

After seeing your mail it spurred me on to trying to find a way to
"upgrade" to f12 - I found some notes on doing this via a series of
yum commands after localinstalling the f12 fedora-release rpm. It took
a while with a number of dead ends but eventually I managed to find a
path through the dependency hell and got all packages updated to f12 -
on rebooting I have the system on f12 and have been able to build f14
test DVD install isos from the packages in the development/f14 repo -
so I am happy again! Given this is a headless machine running in a
quiet corner of the office, and it would have been a while before I
could get a monitor attached to it, I am very pleased that it was
possible to do the upgrade without direct physical access to the
machine. Even at f11 Fedora had great abilities!

Roll on f14 release!

--
mike c