Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Orion Poplawski

Default Making Fedora work with laptops on docking station with external monitor

On 10/05/2010 09:53 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:35 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> On 5 October 2010 05:30, Orion Poplawski<orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
>>> Are we really stuck with gdm/kdm/lxdm/...dm
>>> implementing it?
>>
>> No, I think what we need to do is to teach GPM how to turn off the
>> internal panel when docked and with the lid closed. The only missing
>> piece is for the kernel to export some kind of sysfs boolean saying
>> "in-dock". From talks with mjg59, detecting a dock is pretty hard.
>
> Maybe just 'lid closed and external monitor connected' would be close
> enough? Is there a use case where you'd want to have an external monitor
> connected and the internal system's lid closed, but still have the
> internal system's display turned on?

Yeah, I think this is the main issue. It can cause two problems:

- The login screen appears on the laptop screen (which is closed)
- New windows or the desktop toolbar appear on the laptop screen (which is closed)

I think the fun will come from systems that don't properly report their lid
status. I think this is one of the complaints from the X developers.

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Orion Poplawski

On 10/05/2010 12:18 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 19:07 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>>
>>> *shrug* those are separate bugs we can fix once we make the actual
>>> behaviour correct.
>>
>> Bugs where we turn off people's displays when they're trying to use them
>> are things that we should address at the start of the development
>> process, not the end.
>
> don't we already have default behaviours based on the lid switch,
> anyway? So why don't we have this problem with those? IIRC, we default
> to suspending the system when the lid is closed on battery power - so
> are we suspending people's systems at random, if those systems have
> lying lid switches?

Generally those are based on a change of lid state, which may be different.