FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Rex Dieter
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

Richard Hughes wrote:

> On 27 September 2010 20:31, Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right, but you could argue it's a regression as the behavior changed.
>> Could somebody please fix docbook-utils, otherwise all the GNOME koji
>> builds are going to fail.
>
> All my F14 builds are still failing with:
>
> docbook2man zif.sgml > /dev/null
> grep: character class syntax is [[:space:]], not [:space:]
> grep: character class syntax is [[:space:]], not [:space:]
> jw: There is no frontend called "/docbook/utils-0.6.14/frontends/docbook".
>
> I don't care if [[:space:]] is the POSIX correct behavior or not, all
> I know is every single build I've sent to build for F14 is failing.
>
> I'm *very* close to just not caring about F14, and just continuing to
> develop for rawhide.

Richard,

I've tagged docbook-utils-0.6.14-25.fc14 (the update reportedly fixing this)
for the buildroot. Please try your builds now.

(anyone) Holler or file a rel-eng ticket if there's any problems with
that...

-- Rex




--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Jaroslav Skarvada
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

> I don't care if [[:space:]] is the POSIX correct behavior or not, all
> I know is every single build I've sent to build for F14 is failing.

AFAIK this is required by POSIX. The character class (e.g. [:space:] can be used only in bracketed expression, e.g. [[:space:]])

To clear the confusion, there is no change in the RE syntax in grep-2.7. The old grep silently interprets all these REs the way that probably nobody intended to, e.g.

The [:space:] match:
ac:eps

that is obviously not what is wanted in most cases. Probably all of such typos detected by grep-2.7 are bugs, that should be fixed, because it leads to incorrect/buggy behaviour of scripts (with any version of grep).

I noticed that this change was confused by https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=583011. The 583011 was fixed only in rawhide.

Also in case it is impossible to fix all these typos, I am ready to revert to 2.6. Feel free to comment on: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=637940 But I think the revert is not good solution. Please note that the grep-2.7 was pushed some time ago as bug fix update and it passed critical path testing by proven testers with karma of 3. Probably nobody (including me) realized what could happened and how many packages are broken.

Jaroslav
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Jaroslav Skarvada
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

> To clear the confusion, there is no change in the RE syntax in
> grep-2.7. The old grep silently interprets all these REs the way that
> probably nobody intended to, e.g.
>
> The [:space:] match:
> ac:eps
>

You can force grep-2.7 to silently process it (above mentioned way, same as with older greps) by setting POSIXLY_CORRECT
environment variable. But all such REs are probably typos

Jaroslav
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Richard Hughes
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

On 4 October 2010 11:32, Jaroslav Skarvada <jskarvad@redhat.com> wrote:
> You can force grep-2.7 to silently process it (above mentioned way, same as with older greps) by setting POSIXLY_CORRECT
> environment variable. But all such REs are probably typos

Dude, that's so not the point. I have a f14 srpm that built fine last
week, and now fails to build. It's not my error as the sgml file is
valid. It's an error somewhere deep in docbook-utils.

Set POSIXLY_CORRECT to default in F14, and leave it like upstream in
F15. It's totally the wrong time for this kind of change.

Richard.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Matt McCutchen
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 04:30 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> I've tagged docbook-utils-0.6.14-25.fc14 (the update reportedly fixing this)
> for the buildroot. Please try your builds now.

"f14-build" should appear in the "Tags" line here, right?

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=197223

I don't see it. Am I missing something?

--
Matt

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

Matt McCutchen wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 04:30 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> I've tagged docbook-utils-0.6.14-25.fc14 (the update reportedly fixing
>> this)
>> for the buildroot. Please try your builds now.
>
> "f14-build" should appear in the "Tags" line here, right?
>
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=197223
>
> I don't see it. Am I missing something?

I ended up tagging -26 , -25 had been pulled from bodhi.

-- Rex

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Matt McCutchen
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 09:59 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 27 September 2010 20:31, Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Right, but you could argue it's a regression as the behavior changed.
> > Could somebody please fix docbook-utils, otherwise all the GNOME koji
> > builds are going to fail.
>
> All my F14 builds are still failing with:
>
> docbook2man zif.sgml > /dev/null
> grep: character class syntax is [[:space:]], not [:space:]
> grep: character class syntax is [[:space:]], not [:space:]
> jw: There is no frontend called "/docbook/utils-0.6.14/frontends/docbook".

docbook-utils-0.6.14-26.fc14 with the fix appears to have gone into the
repository in Koji:

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2510888&name=createrepo.log

Your builds should work now.

--
Matt

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

Richard Hughes wrote:
> Set POSIXLY_CORRECT to default in F14, and leave it like upstream in
> F15. It's totally the wrong time for this kind of change.

POSIXLY_CORRECT has a lot of other effects which will break tons of
packages, e.g. it disables all bash extensions!

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Andreas Schwab
 
Default docbook and glibc breakage

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> writes:

> POSIXLY_CORRECT has a lot of other effects which will break tons of
> packages, e.g. it disables all bash extensions!

Not all of them, only those that conflict with POSIX (which still leaves
a lot room for extensions).

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@redhat.com
GPG Key fingerprint = D4E8 DBE3 3813 BB5D FA84 5EC7 45C6 250E 6F00 984E
"And now for something completely different."
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org