Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Kevin Kofler

Default Need proventester karma for firstboot-1.113-4.fc14 (was: bodhi v0.7.9 deployed)

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Again, you're extrapolating way too far from a single problem case. The
> problem is simply that we have the xorg-x11-drivers metapackage which
> requires every single X driver and is in the critpath. There's various
> ways we could adjust this so it's no longer the case. It's hardly
> something that renders an entire policy invalid.

Another example for how the critical path policy breaks things:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/firstboot-1.113-4.fc14
This update adds support for xfwm4 and openbox to the firstboot code.
Updates for those 2 window managers:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xfwm4-4.6.2-2.fc14
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/openbox-3.4.11.2-4.fc14
which add the virtual firstboot(windowmanager) Provides have already been
pushed to stable! So now we have 2 WMs satisfying firstboot's dependencies,
but not actually supported by its code. The result: the Xfce and LXDE spins
will be outright BROKEN. (And it's not my fault, I only did the firstboot
build and update requests, the other 2 packages were pushed by cwickert.)

I CANNOT push the firstboot update which UNBREAKS those 2 spins because of
the update policy. So instead of preventing breakage, the policy CAUSES
breakage! How can it fail more spectacularly for you to finally realize it's
a failure?

To all proventesters: please +1 that update, EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T TESTED IT,
we need to get out of this impasse!

Kevin Kofler