FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Richard Fearn
 
Default Getting more info about updates on headless server

Hi,

I have yum-updatesd installed on a headless Fedora server, so every so
often I get the email saying there are updates available.

The email itself doesn't tell me much about the updates (e.g. for
iproute tonight it said it was a "bugfix"). Running yum update on the
server doesn't tell me much either.

In the past I modified yum-updatesd-helper to look in the
package-announce list archives
(http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/) to find
each update, and to build a bodhi search URL, using the package
name/version. Then there were at least 1 or 2 links in the
yum-updatesd email that I could click on to get some more information.

Is there a more standard way of getting this info? (Not the links, but
the information about the updates.)

If not, I'll get my modified yum-updatesd-helper working on F13 (I
upgraded from F11 the other day).

Regards,

Rich
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Przemek Klosowski
 
Default Getting more info about updates on headless server

On 09/30/2010 05:45 PM, Richard Fearn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have yum-updatesd installed on a headless Fedora server, so every so
> often I get the email saying there are updates available.
>
> The email itself doesn't tell me much about the updates (e.g. for
> iproute tonight it said it was a "bugfix"). Running yum update on the
> server doesn't tell me much either.
>
> In the past I modified yum-updatesd-helper to look in the
> package-announce list archives
> (http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/) to find
> each update, and to build a bodhi search URL, using the package
> name/version. Then there were at least 1 or 2 links in the
> yum-updatesd email that I could click on to get some more information.
>
> Is there a more standard way of getting this info? (Not the links, but
> the information about the updates.)

You could download the RPMs (yumdownloader?) and look at changelogs:

rpm -q --changelog -p <packagename.rpm>

I seem to rememeber people talking about a way to do it directly from
yum without downloading the package, but I don't remember the details.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 09-30-2010, 10:06 PM
seth vidal
 
Default Getting more info about updates on headless server

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 18:04 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 05:45 PM, Richard Fearn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have yum-updatesd installed on a headless Fedora server, so every so
> > often I get the email saying there are updates available.
> >
> > The email itself doesn't tell me much about the updates (e.g. for
> > iproute tonight it said it was a "bugfix"). Running yum update on the
> > server doesn't tell me much either.
> >
> > In the past I modified yum-updatesd-helper to look in the
> > package-announce list archives
> > (http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/) to find
> > each update, and to build a bodhi search URL, using the package
> > name/version. Then there were at least 1 or 2 links in the
> > yum-updatesd email that I could click on to get some more information.
> >
> > Is there a more standard way of getting this info? (Not the links, but
> > the information about the updates.)
>
> You could download the RPMs (yumdownloader?) and look at changelogs:
>
> rpm -q --changelog -p <packagename.rpm>
>
> I seem to rememeber people talking about a way to do it directly from
> yum without downloading the package, but I don't remember the details.

repoquery -q --changelog pkgname

-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 09-30-2010, 10:07 PM
James Antill
 
Default Getting more info about updates on headless server

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 22:45 +0100, Richard Fearn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have yum-updatesd installed on a headless Fedora server, so every so
> often I get the email saying there are updates available.
>
> The email itself doesn't tell me much about the updates (e.g. for
> iproute tonight it said it was a "bugfix"). Running yum update on the
> server doesn't tell me much either.
>
> In the past I modified yum-updatesd-helper to look in the
> package-announce list archives
> (http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/) to find
> each update, and to build a bodhi search URL, using the package
> name/version. Then there were at least 1 or 2 links in the
> yum-updatesd email that I could click on to get some more information.
>
> Is there a more standard way of getting this info? (Not the links, but
> the information about the updates.)

yum install yum-security

...then:

yum updateinfo ...

...there is also a changelog plugin/command, if you want that too. But
the updateinfo usually is good enough (and IMNSHO, you should log bugs
if it isn't .

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Richard Fearn
 
Default Getting more info about updates on headless server

This:

> *yum install yum-security

or possibly this:

> ...there is also a changelog plugin/command

is what I'm after. I'm going to have a look at those. Thanks James!

(Thanks to Przemek and Seth, too - but I want information about all
currently-available updates, not just a particular one.)

Rich
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Przemek Klosowski
 
Default Getting more info about updates on headless server

On 10/02/2010 06:50 AM, Richard Fearn wrote:

> (Thanks to Przemek and Seth, too - but I want information about all
> currently-available updates, not just a particular one.)

rpmquery -qa --changelog returns a hash of all changelogs, so it is
pretty useless. Perhaps I am not understanding what you want, but I
would do it in two steps: get the list of packages
with updates nd and THEN do repoquery -q --chngelog abc def ghi
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org