FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Patrick MONNERAT
 
Default systemd and network service

Until now (with upstart), my rawhide system started the network service
but not the NetworkManager service.
With systemd, neither of these are started by default.
I've read some previous discussions about creating missing links,
defaults, etc. There is a listed solution based on NetworkManager, but
it is not applicable on the network service, because the file
"/lib/systemd/system/network.service" does not exist and thus cannot be
linked to from a *.wants directory.
Does anybody has resolved this problem ? Thanks for any hints.

Patrick

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Michal Schmidt
 
Default systemd and network service

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:04:00 +0200 Patrick MONNERAT wrote:
> Until now (with upstart), my rawhide system started the network
> service but not the NetworkManager service.
> With systemd, neither of these are started by default.

You may be seeing https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=630225 or
a similar bug.

> I've read some previous discussions about creating missing links,
> defaults, etc. There is a listed solution based on NetworkManager, but
> it is not applicable on the network service, because the file
> "/lib/systemd/system/network.service" does not exist and thus cannot
> be linked to from a *.wants directory.

That's correct. There's no native systemd unit file for the network
service. "network.service" in systemd is generated by processing the
classic SysV initscript /etc/init.d/network.

Michal
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Patrick MONNERAT
 
Default systemd and network service

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 14:37 +0200, Michal Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:04:00 +0200 Patrick MONNERAT wrote:
> > Until now (with upstart), my rawhide system started the network
> > service but not the NetworkManager service.
> > With systemd, neither of these are started by default.
>
> You may be seeing https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=630225 or
> a similar bug.

Many thanks for the link. However, I did not understand it enough to
find something usable.

> > I've read some previous discussions about creating missing links,
> > defaults, etc. There is a listed solution based on NetworkManager, but
> > it is not applicable on the network service, because the file
> > "/lib/systemd/system/network.service" does not exist and thus cannot
> > be linked to from a *.wants directory.
>
> That's correct. There's no native systemd unit file for the network
> service. "network.service" in systemd is generated by processing the
> classic SysV initscript /etc/init.d/network.

I finally resolved my problem in a dirty way (I do not know all systemd
arcanes): Create the file /lib/sysemd/system/start-network.service with
the following contents (perhaps not very well tuned, but it works for
me):

--------------------
[Unit]
Description=Network
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/etc/init.d/network start

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
-------------------

Then issue command "systemctl enable start-network.service". The network
will be properly brought up at next reboot.

In hope it can temporary help people with the same problem.

Regards,
Patrick
[Unit]
Description=Network
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/etc/init.d/network start

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org