FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Dennis Gilmore
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

Mark your calendars, and get ready to break out and have some fun: Fedora 14
will launch in early November. Fedora is the leading-edge, community-
developed, free and open source operating system that continues to deliver
innovative features to users worldwide, with a new release every six months.

But... what's that, you say? November is oh, so, far away? Never fear - Beta
is here! Checking out the latest and greatest in Fedora's cutting-edge
technologies is just a click away.

Stand out from the crowd. Get your taste of Fedora 14 'now,' by trying out
our Beta release:

http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease?anF14b

== What is the Beta Release? ==

The beta release is the last important milestone of Fedora 14. Only critical
bug fixes will be pushed as updates leading up to the general release of
Fedora 14, scheduled to be released in early November. We invite you to
join us and participate in making Fedora 14 a solid release by downloading,
testing, and providing your valuable feedback.

Of course, this is a beta release, some problems may still be lurking. A list
of the problems we already know about is found at the [[Common F14 bugs]]
page.

If you find a bug that's not found on that page, be sure it gets fixed before
release by reporting your discovery at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/. Thank
you!

== Features ==

Desktop enthusiasts and end users of all sorts can look forward to:
* 'Faster loading and saving of JPEG images.' The libjpeg-turbo feature
nearly halves the time to load and save JPEG images on most modern machines -
meaning you'll be seeing your digital photos even faster.
* 'Easier virtualization for end users.' From the creators of KVM comes
Spice (Simple Protocol for Independent Computing Environments). This framework
allows end-users to enjoy the features they enjoy, such as accelerated 2D
graphics, encryption, and audio playing and recording, all while working in a
virtualized environment.
Are you a sysadmin? Check out the new features we have for you!
* 'Additional IPMI support.' Enjoy using IPMI (Intelligent Platform
Management Interface) to manage your servers? The new ipmiutil feature adds
more functionality to existing IPMI capabilities, including SOL (Serial-over-
LAN) and identity LED management.
* 'Tech preview of systemd.' Looking to the future? Check out systemd, a
next-generation replacement for Upstart and SystemV init. With faster boot
times, the ability to track processes, daemons, and sockets, and system state
snapshotting, this preview of systemd will have you prepped for the future.
Coders have lots of new development tools to try out, including:
* 'D Programming.' Statically typed and compiling directly to machine
code, the D systems programming language combines the power and performance of
languages like C and C++ with the productivity of languages like Ruby and
Python.
* 'GNUstep' is a GUI framework based on the Objective-C programming
language, and is a reimplementation of the NextStep environment.
* 'Memory debugging tools.' Unique to Fedora 14, the gdb-heap package
allows developers to get a breakdown of how a process is using dynamic memory
- and can do unplanned memory usage debugging by attaching to runaway memory
hogs, mid-process.
* 'Python 2.7' capabilities increases Fedora's commitment to improving
portability and migration paths for developers to move to Python 3. Enhanced
debugging and integration with GCC continue to be available in Fedora 14, and
Python-related enhancements such as fixing common problems with GObject
introspection and SWIG are also introduced.
* 'Rakudo Star' is the most actively developed implementation of Perl 6,
and is based on the Parrot virtual machine. Perl 6 is a major revision to
this sysadmin and developer toolbox standby, introducing elements of many
modern and historical languages.


And that's only the beginning. A more complete list and details of all the
new features onboard Fedora 14 is available here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/FeatureList?wkanF14b

We have nightly composes of alternate spins available here:

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/?wkanF14b

'Fedora 14 / Beta is for Carotene / Let's Push for Final!'

== Contributing ==

For more information including common and known bugs, tips on how to report
bugs, and the official release schedule, please refer to the release notes:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org?wkanF14b

There are many ways to contribute beyond bug reporting. You can help
translate software and content, test and give feedback on software updates,
write and edit documentation, help with all sorts of promotional activities,
and package free software for use by millions of Fedora users worldwide. To
get started, visit http://join.fedoraproject.org today!
_______________________________________________
devel-announce mailing list
devel-announce@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel-announce--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Philip Rhoades
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

People,


On 2010-09-29 00:26, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Mark your calendars, and get ready to break out and have some fun: Fedora 14
> will launch in early November. Fedora is the leading-edge, community-
> developed, free and open source operating system that continues to deliver
> innovative features to users worldwide, with a new release every six months.
>
> But... what's that, you say? November is oh, so, far away? Never fear - Beta
> is here! Checking out the latest and greatest in Fedora's cutting-edge
> technologies is just a click away.
>
> Stand out from the crowd. Get your taste of Fedora 14 'now,' by trying out
> our Beta release:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease?anF14b


Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE.iso has the same cksum as Beta RC3?

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Piscium
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

On 29 September 2010 08:37, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:

> Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE.iso has the same cksum as Beta RC3?

No, that would be a big coincidence.

This is the copy in my local mirror, but it should work for you:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/14-Beta/Live/i686/Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE-CHECKSUM
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Philip Rhoades
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

Piscium,


On 2010-09-29 19:09, Piscium wrote:
> On 29 September 2010 08:37, Philip Rhoades<phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE.iso has the same cksum as Beta RC3?
>
> No, that would be a big coincidence.
>
> This is the copy in my local mirror, but it should work for you:
> http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/14-Beta/Live/i686/Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE-CHECKSUM


All seems OK so why a new announcement when the iso is the same as the
previous one (Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE.iso)?

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Andre Robatino
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

Philip Rhoades <phil <at> pricom.com.au> writes:

> Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE.iso has the same cksum as Beta RC3?

Beta is identical to Beta RC3. In general, for each of Alpha, Beta, and Final,
one of the corresponding release candidates is chosen (usually, but not
necessarily, the last one). You can verify this by comparing the unsigned
checksum files for Beta RC3 with the corresponding signed ones for Beta. The
only difference is the signature.




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Piscium
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

On 29 September 2010 10:37, Andre Robatino <robatino@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Beta is identical to Beta RC3. In general, for each of Alpha, Beta, and Final,
> one of the corresponding release candidates is chosen (usually, but not
> necessarily, the last one). You can verify this by comparing the unsigned
> checksum files for Beta RC3 with the corresponding signed ones for Beta. The
> only difference is the signature.

Cool, one learns a new thing everyday.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Frank Murphy
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

On 29/09/10 10:32, Philip Rhoades wrote:

>
> All seems OK so why a new announcement when the iso is the same as the
> previous one (Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE.iso)?
>

Usually a wider test group for the Beta.
hence the torrents

--
Regards,

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM
ZL
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

Is this release for mac also?




On 9/29/10 7:32 AM, "Frank Murphy" <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/09/10 10:32, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>
>>
>> All seems OK so why a new announcement when the iso is the same as the
>> previous one (Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE.iso)?
>>
>
> Usually a wider test group for the Beta.
> hence the torrents

--



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Philip Rhoades
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

Andre,


> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:37:54 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Andre Robatino<robatino@fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!
> To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Message-ID:<loom.20100929T113302-892@post.gmane.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Philip Rhoades<phil<at> pricom.com.au> writes:
>
>> Fedora-14-Beta-i686-Live-XFCE.iso has the same cksum as Beta RC3?
>
> Beta is identical to Beta RC3. In general, for each of Alpha, Beta, and Final,
> one of the corresponding release candidates is chosen (usually, but not
> necessarily, the last one). You can verify this by comparing the unsigned
> checksum files for Beta RC3 with the corresponding signed ones for Beta. The
> only difference is the signature.


Isn't that an odd thing to do? I would have thought that the point of
having different pre-final release versions, including release
candidates, is to progressively improve the version ie reduce bugs - as
it gets closer to a final release?

Thanks for the info though . .

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Gordon Messmer
 
Default Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

On 09/29/2010 08:03 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Isn't that an odd thing to do? I would have thought that the point of
> having different pre-final release versions, including release
> candidates, is to progressively improve the version ie reduce bugs - as
> it gets closer to a final release?

It's a common practice. The name "release candidate" indicates that the
package is deemed potentially suitable for release. Testers check the
RC for bugs that should block the release. If any are found, those are
fixed and a new RC is tested. When no blocking bugs are found, the
release candidate is published as the release. If changes were made
after the last RC, they'd be published without testing. That would be
bad.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org