Old 09-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Richard Hughes

Default docbook and glibc breakage?

All three of my newly released GNOME 2.32.0 projects failed to build
on koji (f14) today:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2491737&name=build.log
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2491754&name=build.log
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2491800&name=build.log

I've been told it's something to do with the way glibc decides to
interpret posix rules for character classes, which seems to have
broken grep.

Can we revert the new glibc from the buildsystem please, until the
breakage is fixed upstream. Thanks.

Richard.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Jaroslav Skarvada

> All three of my newly released GNOME 2.32.0 projects failed to build
> on koji (f14) today:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2491737&name=build.log
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2491754&name=build.log
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2491800&name=build.log
>
> I've been told it's something to do with the way glibc decides to
> interpret posix rules for character classes, which seems to have
> broken grep.
>
> Can we revert the new glibc from the buildsystem please, until the
> breakage is fixed upstream. Thanks.
>
> Richard.

AFAIK the following message from build log indicates incorrect regular expressions in docbook-utils:
> grep: character class syntax is [[:space:]], not [:space:]

The character class must be inside bracketed expression, thus double brackets, please see man grep. The new grep-2.7 checks for this common fault:

> grep now diagnoses (and fails with exit status 2) commonly mistyped
> regular expression like [:space:], [:digit:], etc. Before, those were
> silently interpreted as [ac:eps] and [dgit:] respectively. Virtually
> all who make that class of mistake should have used [[:space:]] or
> [[:digit:]]. This new behavior is disabled when the POSIXLY_CORRECT
> environment variable is set.

regards

Jaroslav

Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Richard Hughes

On 27 September 2010 19:58, Jaroslav Skarvada <jskarvad@redhat.com> wrote:
> The character class must be inside bracketed expression, thus double brackets, please see man grep. The new grep-2.7 checks for this common fault:

Right, but you could argue it's a regression as the behavior changed.
Could somebody please fix docbook-utils, otherwise all the GNOME koji
builds are going to fail.

Richard.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Jesse Keating

"Richard Hughes" <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 27 September 2010 19:58, Jaroslav Skarvada <jskarvad@redhat.com> wrote:
>> The character class must be inside bracketed expression, thus double brackets, please see man grep. The new grep-2.7 checks for this common fault:
>
>Right, but you could argue it's a regression as the behavior changed.
>Could somebody please fix docbook-utils, otherwise all the GNOME koji
>builds are going to fail.

Rawhide is acceptable to change like that, particularly this early in the f15 cycle.
--
Sent from my Android phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Bill Nottingham

Richard Hughes (hughsient@gmail.com) said:
> On 27 September 2010 19:58, Jaroslav Skarvada <jskarvad@redhat.com> wrote:
> > The character class must be inside bracketed expression, thus double brackets, please see man grep. The new grep-2.7 checks for this common fault:
>
> Right, but you could argue it's a regression as the behavior changed.

Exactly... this is way late to be introducing this into Fedora 14. Any
reason it can't be held for F15? (Bug filed to this effect.)

Bill

Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Jesse Keating

"Jesse Keating" <jkeating@j2solutions.net> wrote:

>"Richard Hughes" <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 27 September 2010 19:58, Jaroslav Skarvada <jskarvad@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> The character class must be inside bracketed expression, thus double brackets, please see man grep. The new grep-2.7 checks for this common fault:
>>
>>Right, but you could argue it's a regression as the behavior changed.
>>Could somebody please fix docbook-utils, otherwise all the GNOME koji
>>builds are going to fail.
>>
>Rawhide is acceptable to change like that, particularly this early in the f15 cycle.

Unless this change was made in f14. That is not acceptable for f14 at this stage.
--
Sent from my Android phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Richard Hughes

On 27 September 2010 21:04, Jesse Keating <jkeating@j2solutions.net> wrote:
> Unless this change was made in f14. That is not acceptable for f14 at this stage.

I'm using dist-f14.

Richard.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Kevin Kofler

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Exactly... this is way late to be introducing this into Fedora 14. Any
> reason it can't be held for F15? (Bug filed to this effect.)

The old behavior of that expression is not what the code probably expected,
it just happened to silently do the wrong thing instead of throwing an
error. The code which now errors needs to be fixed anyway.

Kevin Kofler

Old 09-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Richard Hughes

On 28 September 2010 18:06, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Exactly... this is way late to be introducing this into Fedora 14. Any
>> reason it can't be held for F15? (Bug filed to this effect.)
>
> The old behavior of that expression is not what the code probably expected,
> it just happened to silently do the wrong thing instead of throwing an
> error. The code which now errors needs to be fixed anyway.

Right, but now all the software that I'm developing doesn't compile.
This is F14, not rawhide.

Richard.