Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Piscium

Default kernel building instructions

This question is addressed at those with kernel building experience.

The Fedora wiki has instructions on building a custom kernel:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

That's good, thanks.

Let's say that someone would like to build a kernel with different
configuration options. He or she has created a new .config file. The
relevant instructions are under the heading "Configure Kernel
Options". Instruction 6 says the following:

=====
"Copy the config file to ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/:
cp .config ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/config-$arch"
=====

The line above appears incorrect. This was recognized by another wiki
editor as can be seen in the following sentences:

=====
"In actual fact, a Fedora 11 x86_64 machine would use the following
command, because the spec file has no config-x86_64 item, and so will
not process it. The only spec entry is for generic.
cp .config ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/config-$arch-generic"
=====

My question is this: what should be the name of the configuration file
for Intel 32 bits architecture?
config-x86 or
config-i386 or
config-i686 or
one of the above followed by "-generic"?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Piscium

On 26 September 2010 09:25, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is this: what should be the name of the configuration file
> for Intel 32 bits architecture?
> config-x86 or
> config-i386 or
> config-i686 or
> one of the above followed by "-generic"?

My custom kernel seems to be running as well as the non-custom (and a
bit faster), and my customization is reflected in the installed
configuration file in /boot. The answer to my question above appears
to be:
"config-x86-generic".

It would be nice if someone experienced with kernel building, and 10
minutes available, would improve the wiki page below:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel#Configure_Kernel_Options

Thanks.