FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Tom London
 
Default Nautilus still no go in rawhide

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Paul F. Johnson
<paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is going on with Nautilus? It's not been usable for quite a while
> now. Most recently, I've had it working by starting it from a terminal
> window but now even that has stopped working and is giving me the
> following
>
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module": libpk-gtk-module.so:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail-gnome": libgail-gnome.so:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:1152: unable to
> lookup signal "select" of unloaded type `GtkMenuItem'
>
> (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_add_emission_hook:
> assertion `signal_id > 0' failed
>
> (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:1152: unable to
> lookup signal "deselect" of unloaded type `GtkMenuItem'
>
> (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_add_emission_hook:
> assertion `signal_id > 0' failed
> Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
>
> (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> (this is the same if I use nautilus -n [then double click on a drive
> icon] or nautilus with no arguments)
>
> Any ideas on what is going on?
>
> I last updated the machine last night and things seem to have gone wrong
> since about Tuesday (last update on koji).
>
> I did think it was related to the gir rebuilds, but that doesn't seem to
> be the case.
>
> HELP!!!!
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul
>
> P.S. I have both .so files installed...
> --
> Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...
>

I've been running rawhide nautilus for a while (currently
nautilus-2.90.1-4.gitf3bbee7.fc15.x86_64), and although there are some
'rough edges', it works well enough for me.

Here are some things I've noticed:

1. Nautilus no longer displays the desktop; believe I got some
indication that this was part of the move to a newer desktop ....

2. Nautilus no longer 'auto mounts' removable drives (e.g., thumb
drives, hard drives, etc.). However, the device does appear in
'Places', and it mounts if you select it there.

3. Nautilus segfaults trying to open the device's root folder after
selecting in 'Places':
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=636543 . But the device
is mounted properly....

tom
--
Tom London
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 09-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Owen Taylor
 
Default Nautilus still no go in rawhide

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 17:16 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is going on with Nautilus? It's not been usable for quite a while
> now. Most recently, I've had it working by starting it from a terminal
> window but now even that has stopped working and is giving me the
> following

> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail-gnome": libgail-gnome.so:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:1152: unable to
> lookup signal "select" of unloaded type `GtkMenuItem'
>
> (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_add_emission_hook:
> assertion `signal_id > 0' failed

These messages are coming from accessibility support. That's not really
at a usable state with GTK+ 3 at the moment, so I'd suggest doing:

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility false

then log out and log back in.

> (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

There also seem to be problems with nautilus from GTK+ ABI changes - I
see various warnings along the lines of:

(nautilus:27082): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: specified class size for type
`EvPropertiesView' is smaller than the parent type's `GtkVBox' class
size

These indicate a definite need for rebuild, so I'll kick one off now,
and maybe things will be better after that finishes. It's certainly not
worth worrying about anything related to Nautilus until it's rebuild.

- Owen


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 09-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Owen Taylor
 
Default Nautilus still no go in rawhide

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 09:31 -0700, Tom London wrote:
> 1. Nautilus no longer displays the desktop; believe I got some
> indication that this was part of the move to a newer desktop ....

Since you aren't actually running the newer desktop (GNOME Shell is
temporarily not working in Rawhide, we'll get it fixed this week, and
the file management isn't fully there yet in any case), you can showing
the desktop back on with:

gconftool -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop true

Of course, that once you've set that key you'll no longer get the
default experience.

(See:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2010-September/msg00033.html

for some discussion of the desktop situation)

> 2. Nautilus no longer 'auto mounts' removable drives (e.g., thumb
> drives, hard drives, etc.). However, the device does appear in
> 'Places', and it mounts if you select it there.

This is a fairly long-standing bug related to turning off "show_desktop"
- the automounting is part of the Nautilus process, and when not showing
the desktop, Nautilus just exits when there are no windows.

See: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=585545

- Owen


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:26 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org