Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   PostgreSQL 9 for F14? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/429568-postgresql-9-f14.html)

Michel Alexandre Salim 09-20-2010 07:43 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:53:41 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:

> 2010/9/20 Mark Chappell <tremble@tremble.org.uk>:
>> 2010/9/20 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com>:
>>> PostgreSQL 9 was released
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1235
>>>
>>> Are there any chances to get this for F14? The new version supports
>>> basic replication scenarios, so I would not have to use PgPool :)
>>
>> Way too late for updating the main postgres packages, but a parallel
>> installable postgres9 package
>
> Acceptable solution :)
>
>> (possibly ported over to EPEL too) would be good...
>
> It would be great :)

Note: I don't think Mark was proposing to do the packaging work himself.
But it'd be great if whoever picks this up (Michał, are you a packager?)
could reply to this thread, thus avoiding duplication of work and attract
potential reviewers once the new package is ready.

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/

Email: salimma@fedoraproject.org | GPG key ID: 78884778
Jabber: hircus@jabber.ccc.de | IRC: hircus@irc.freenode.net

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Michał Piotrowski 09-20-2010 07:53 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
2010/9/20 Michel Alexandre Salim <fedora@michelsylvain.info>:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:53:41 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>
>> 2010/9/20 Mark Chappell <tremble@tremble.org.uk>:
>>> 2010/9/20 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com>:
>>>> PostgreSQL 9 was released
>>>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1235
>>>>
>>>> Are there any chances to get this for F14? The new version supports
>>>> basic replication scenarios, so I would not have to use PgPool :)
>>>
>>> Way too late for updating the main postgres packages, but a parallel
>>> installable postgres9 package
>>
>> Acceptable solution :)
>>
>>> (possibly ported over to EPEL too) would be good...
>>
>> It would be great :)
>
> Note: I don't think Mark was proposing to do the packaging work himself.
> *But it'd be great if whoever picks this up (Michał, are you a packager?)

No, I'm not packager.

> could reply to this thread, thus avoiding duplication of work and attract
> potential reviewers once the new package is ready.

I'm willing to help in review/testing

Regards,
Michal
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Tom Lane 09-20-2010 07:56 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
Michel Alexandre Salim <fedora@michelsylvain.info> writes:
> Note: I don't think Mark was proposing to do the packaging work himself.
> But it'd be great if whoever picks this up (Micha?, are you a packager?)
> could reply to this thread, thus avoiding duplication of work and attract
> potential reviewers once the new package is ready.

I see no point whatsoever in a separate "postgresql9" package. The
regular postgresql package will be up to 9.0.x in F-15. If you feel
a need to run a bleeding edge database in F-14, it'll doubtless be
built as an RPM by upstream as soon as F-14 is stable --- see
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux

regards, tom lane
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Arthur Pemberton 09-20-2010 08:00 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:
> Michel Alexandre Salim <fedora@michelsylvain.info> writes:
>> Note: I don't think Mark was proposing to do the packaging work himself.
>> *But it'd be great if whoever picks this up (Michał, are you a packager?)
>> could reply to this thread, thus avoiding duplication of work and attract
>> potential reviewers once the new package is ready.
>
> I see no point whatsoever in a separate "postgresql9" package. *The
> regular postgresql package will be up to 9.0.x in F-15. *If you feel
> a need to run a bleeding edge database in F-14, it'll doubtless be
> built as an RPM by upstream as soon as F-14 is stable --- see
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * *regards, tom lane


So a 6 month wait at best?


--
Fedora 13
(www.pembo13.com)
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Bruno Wolff III 09-20-2010 08:06 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 16:00:46 -0400,
Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Michel Alexandre Salim <fedora@michelsylvain.info> writes:
> >> Note: I don't think Mark was proposing to do the packaging work himself.
> >> *But it'd be great if whoever picks this up (Michał, are you a packager?)
> >> could reply to this thread, thus avoiding duplication of work and attract
> >> potential reviewers once the new package is ready.
> >
> > I see no point whatsoever in a separate "postgresql9" package. *The
> > regular postgresql package will be up to 9.0.x in F-15. *If you feel
> > a need to run a bleeding edge database in F-14, it'll doubtless be
> > built as an RPM by upstream as soon as F-14 is stable --- see
> > http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
> >
> > * * * * * * * * * * * *regards, tom lane
>
>
> So a 6 month wait at best?

For it to be in Fedora. But there will very likely be packages built for
F14 externally before then. (Plus once there is an F15 srpm, you will be
able to easily rebuild it yourself for F15.)

You need to remember that bleeding edge to a DBA means something different
than for other people.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Michael Cronenworth 09-20-2010 08:13 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> You need to remember that bleeding edge to a DBA means something different
> than for other people.

DBAs worth anything wouldn't be using *Fedora* for their distribution of
choice.

No, I'm not advocating PgSQL 9 for F14, however, it shouldn't be so
far-fetched that Fedora could have any software at any time. Expecting
people to adopt their own personal repositories for versions of software
that Fedora maintainers don't want to ship "just because" should be seen
as a bug against Fedora itself. /end-thread-tangent
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Michel Alexandre Salim 09-20-2010 09:59 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:13:42 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> No, I'm not advocating PgSQL 9 for F14, however, it shouldn't be so
> far-fetched that Fedora could have any software at any time.

A Fedora update policy is being hashed out, and even before that, the
consensus is really against introducing major updates in stable releases.
It's not really "anything goes" as your statement seems to imply.

> Expecting
> people to adopt their own personal repositories for versions of software
> that Fedora maintainers don't want to ship "just because" should be seen
> as a bug against Fedora itself. /end-thread-tangent

Well, we're not, thankfully, in the same situation as some other distro
where each third-party repository overlap quite a lot because they
rebuild, possibly unnecessarily, an entire stack of software. The
personal repositories I've seen tend to be tightly focused -- Richard
Jones' mingw porting work, spot's repo for bleeding edge packages that
rightly are not ready for Fedora proper, etc.

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/

Email: salimma@fedoraproject.org | GPG key ID: 78884778
Jabber: hircus@jabber.ccc.de | IRC: hircus@irc.freenode.net

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Arthur Pemberton 09-20-2010 11:26 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim
<fedora@michelsylvain.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:13:42 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> No, I'm not advocating PgSQL 9 for F14, however, it shouldn't be so
>> far-fetched that Fedora could have any software at any time.
>
> A Fedora update policy is being hashed out, and even before that, the
> consensus is really against introducing major updates in stable releases.
> It's not really "anything goes" as your statement seems to imply.

A parallel update is a major update requiring a 6 month wait in Fedora now?

--
Fedora 13
(www.pembo13.com)
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Toshio Kuratomi 09-20-2010 11:31 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:59:51PM +0000, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:13:42 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > No, I'm not advocating PgSQL 9 for F14, however, it shouldn't be so
> > far-fetched that Fedora could have any software at any time.
>
> A Fedora update policy is being hashed out, and even before that, the
> consensus is really against introducing major updates in stable releases.
> It's not really "anything goes" as your statement seems to imply.
>
> > Expecting
> > people to adopt their own personal repositories for versions of software
> > that Fedora maintainers don't want to ship "just because" should be seen
> > as a bug against Fedora itself. /end-thread-tangent
>
> Well, we're not, thankfully, in the same situation as some other distro
> where each third-party repository overlap quite a lot because they
> rebuild, possibly unnecessarily, an entire stack of software. The
> personal repositories I've seen tend to be tightly focused -- Richard
> Jones' mingw porting work, spot's repo for bleeding edge packages that
> rightly are not ready for Fedora proper, etc.
>
But we're going in that direction... For instance, spot's firefox4 repo
has to ship with its own rebuild of nss which, because of other efforts
within Fedora, a lot of packages rely on.

As the concept of using third party repositories (both as packagers and as
users) grows, this interdependence will grow.

-Toshio
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

charles zeitler 09-20-2010 11:54 PM

PostgreSQL 9 for F14?
 
Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.




On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim
<fedora@michelsylvain.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:13:42 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> No, I'm not advocating PgSQL 9 for F14, however, it shouldn't be so
>> far-fetched that Fedora could have any software at any time.
>
> A Fedora update policy is being hashed out, and even before that, the
> consensus (of/among?)
>is really against introducing major updates in >stable releases.

this is a major disadvantage of 'stable releases'

> Michel Alexandre Salim
> Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/
>
> Email: *salimma@fedoraproject.org *| GPG key ID: 78884778
> Jabber: hircus@jabber.ccc.de * * * | IRC: hircus@irc.freenode.net
>
> () *ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> / *www.asciiribbon.org * - against proprietary attachments
>

charles zeitler

--



Love is the law, love under will.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.