Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Gerald Henriksen

Default PostgreSQL 9 for F14?

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:26:53 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim
><fedora@michelsylvain.info> wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:13:42 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>>> No, I'm not advocating PgSQL 9 for F14, however, it shouldn't be so
>>> far-fetched that Fedora could have any software at any time.
>>
>> A Fedora update policy is being hashed out, and even before that, the
>> consensus is really against introducing major updates in stable releases.
>> It's not really "anything goes" as your statement seems to imply.
>
>A parallel update is a major update requiring a 6 month wait in Fedora now?

I would guess that the PostgreSQL maintainer(s) would prefer to only
maintain one version in Fedora at a time.

Really though, if people wanted PostgreSQL 9 in Fedora 14 they should
have started asking about it or working on it months ago, getting it
into Rawhide before the Fedora 14 split.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Michel Alexandre Salim

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:31:06 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:59:51PM +0000, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
>> Well, we're not, thankfully, in the same situation as some other distro
>> where each third-party repository overlap quite a lot because they
>> rebuild, possibly unnecessarily, an entire stack of software. The
>> personal repositories I've seen tend to be tightly focused -- Richard
>> Jones' mingw porting work, spot's repo for bleeding edge packages that
>> rightly are not ready for Fedora proper, etc.
>>
> But we're going in that direction... For instance, spot's firefox4 repo
> has to ship with its own rebuild of nss which, because of other efforts
> within Fedora, a lot of packages rely on.

In this case, the other packages depend on this particular rebuild,
though? The situation with OBS is that many repositories contain their
own, slightly different, versions of the same key packages. The non-
orthogonality makes it ... interesting ... to use different third-party
repositories at the same time.

Not saying it's ideal that the NSS update cannot land in Fedora proper
fast enough, but this is partly due to the way the Mozilla developers act
as if they're the only customers of their own libraries, and not provide
stable APIs/ABIs (see also the updates triggered by xulrunner updates)

> As the concept of using third party repositories (both as packagers and
> as users) grows, this interdependence will grow.

I agree. Still, it should be kept to a minimum as much as possible.

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/

Email: salimma@fedoraproject.org | GPG key ID: 78884778
Jabber: hircus@jabber.ccc.de | IRC: hircus@irc.freenode.net

Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Matej Cepl

Michał Piotrowski, Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:32:49 +0200:
> PostgreSQL 9 was released
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1235
>
> Are there any chances to get this for F14? The new version supports
> basic replication scenarios, so I would not have to use PgPool

I think this is an ideal project for

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/

Best,

Matěj

A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches.
-- Proverbs 22:1

Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 17:32 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:

> PostgreSQL 9 was released
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1235
>
> Are there any chances to get this for F14?

Here comes the upstream packager.

I have done major rewrite in 9.0 spec file, and it now supports parallel
installation like Debian/Ubuntu does:

http://svn.pgrpms.org/browser/rpm/redhat/9.0/postgresql/F-13/postgresql-9.0.spec

I'm not sure whether Tom will use this new layout or not in Fedora
packages, but I can definitely say that upstream RPM repo will
definitely support F-14 once it goes stable.

Feel free to use that repo:

http://yum.pgrpms.org

which will hopefully turn into yum.postgresql.org over the next month or
so. This repo has more PG related packages as compared to Fedora.

-HTH

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org