Old 09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Luke Macken

Default bodhi v0.7.9 deployed

A new version of bodhi has just hit production. This release contains a number
of bugfixes and enhancements.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates

Web UI Changes
==============

- Improved editing functionality
- Only unpush edited updates when builds are altered
- Make a note in the comments of which builds were added/removed
- Allow people to revert their karma vote more than once
- Add mouseover tooltips to the update status with more details
- Prevent different versions of a package from being added to the same update
- Handle more types of bugzilla auto-linking in comments (ex: rhbz#1234)
- Link to the newer update in the obsoleted ones
- Link to gitweb instead of viewvc
- Set default (un)stable karma values if re-enabled
- Anonymous karma has never effected karma, so we now mark them as being ignored
in the interface to make it obvious
- Get the 'suggest reboot' flag working again
- Allow non-critpath updates to be pushed to stable after meeting our critpath
requirements
- Allow maintainers to request that their update be pushed to stable before the
automatic approval job runs, if it already meets the time-in-testing
requirements.

Client Changes
==============

- Add --stablekarma, --unstablekarma, and --disable-autokarma client arguments
- Fix a bug in using `bodhi --push-build=` on multi-build updates
- Add a --bodhi-url command-line option
- Instead of requiring only one argument with a comma separated list of updates,
support several builds as several arguments.

API Changes
===========

- Remove our API pagination query limit of 1000
- Add a new 'author_group' field to each comment in our JSON API

Backend Changes
===============

- Add the new 'dist-fN-updates{-testing,}-pending' tags to builds so AutoQA can
start testing them before they get pushed
- List security & critpath testing updates in our updates-testing digest emails
- Download and inject the pkgtags sqlite db into our repodata from the pkgdb
(which will be utilized by `yum search`)
- Email the proventesters about stale unapproved critical path updates
- Update the bug titles for all security updates before pushing (since security
bug titles frequently change after the update is submitted to reflect the CVE id)
- Improved sanity checking in the masher when resuming pushes
- Properly capture & log stderr from our mash subprocess
- Improved metrics report generator (soon to be integrated into the web
interface)

Bugs & RFEs

Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Luke Macken

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 02:19:06PM -0400, Luke Macken wrote:
> Backend Changes
> ===============
>
> - Add the new 'dist-fN-updates{-testing,}-pending' tags to builds so AutoQA can
> start testing them before they get pushed
> - List security & critpath testing updates in our updates-testing digest emails
> - Download and inject the pkgtags sqlite db into our repodata from the pkgdb
> (which will be utilized by `yum search`)
> - Email the proventesters about stale unapproved critical path updates
> - Update the bug titles for all security updates before pushing (since security
> bug titles frequently change after the update is submitted to reflect the CVE id)
> - Improved sanity checking in the masher when resuming pushes
> - Properly capture & log stderr from our mash subprocess
> - Improved metrics report generator (soon to be integrated into the web
> interface)

I forgot to add a couple more changes in this release:

- Security updates no longer need to be "approved" before they go to testing
- Update announcement mails no longer butcher the formatting of the notes

Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:19:06 -0400 (EDT), Luke wrote:

> A new version of bodhi has just hit production. This release contains a number
> of bugfixes and enhancements.
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates

> - Email the proventesters about stale unapproved critical path updates

But daily? For F12, F13 and F14? This is a lot of noise, and I wonder
what its goal is? Other than to see these messages be filtered and ignored.

Hopefully more testers will join proventesters group, so every package
will be covered. There are reasons why some updates only get a +0 comment
by testers or proventesters [1].

--
[1]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xorg-x11-drv-geode-2.11.9-1.fc14

Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Adam Williamson

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 10:10 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:19:06 -0400 (EDT), Luke wrote:
>
> > A new version of bodhi has just hit production. This release contains a number
> > of bugfixes and enhancements.
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates
>
> > - Email the proventesters about stale unapproved critical path updates
>
> But daily? For F12, F13 and F14? This is a lot of noise, and I wonder
> what its goal is? Other than to see these messages be filtered and ignored.
>
> Hopefully more testers will join proventesters group, so every package
> will be covered. There are reasons why some updates only get a +0 comment
> by testers or proventesters [1].
>
> --
> [1]
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xorg-x11-drv-geode-2.11.9-1.fc14

We really need to adjust that dependency chain; X drivers like this are
only critpath because of the xorg-x11-drivers metapackage's dep chain.
(Though having said that...does the XO use geode for graphics? If so, we
could test it just by having an XO user sign up as a proventester).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Luke Macken

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:10:16AM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:19:06 -0400 (EDT), Luke wrote:
>
> > A new version of bodhi has just hit production. This release contains a number
> > of bugfixes and enhancements.
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates
>
> > - Email the proventesters about stale unapproved critical path updates
>
> But daily? For F12, F13 and F14? This is a lot of noise, and I wonder
> what its goal is? Other than to see these messages be filtered and ignored.

This was kind of a "lets start spamming and see who complains" feature.

It /should/ only send 1 nagmail a week for each unapproved critical path
update that has been in testing for over 2 weeks.

However, now that the updates-testing digests will contain
security/critpath updates that need testing, firing these off to the
proventesters may suffice instead?

luke

Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Kevin Kofler

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xorg-x11-drv-geode-2.11.9-1.fc14

This update is the perfect example for how this new update policy is
completely broken and just cannot work.

A bugfix is now being held up for almost a month just because there's no
proventester with the required hardware.

The only suggestion I can give is to just +1 the update to have it finally
go out as it should.

Kevin Kofler

Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 05:51 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xorg-x11-drv-geode-2.11.9-1.fc14
>
> This update is the perfect example for how this new update policy is
> completely broken and just cannot work.

Again, you're extrapolating way too far from a single problem case. The
problem is simply that we have the xorg-x11-drivers metapackage which
requires every single X driver and is in the critpath. There's various
ways we could adjust this so it's no longer the case. It's hardly
something that renders an entire policy invalid.

> A bugfix is now being held up for almost a month just because there's no
> proventester with the required hardware.

The proventesters are not an immutable set. There's certainly people who
have the hardware - anyone with an XO, and I see enough of them at
FUDCons. All we need is for one of them to sign up to be a proventester.
This isn't impossible either.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Jesse Keating

Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Kevin Kofler

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Again, you're extrapolating way too far from a single problem case. The
> problem is simply that we have the xorg-x11-drivers metapackage which
> requires every single X driver and is in the critpath. There's various
> ways we could adjust this so it's no longer the case. It's hardly
> something that renders an entire policy invalid.
>
>> A bugfix is now being held up for almost a month just because there's no
>> proventester with the required hardware.
>
> The proventesters are not an immutable set. There's certainly people who
> have the hardware - anyone with an XO, and I see enough of them at
> FUDCons. All we need is for one of them to sign up to be a proventester.
> This isn't impossible either.

Today it's this package. Tomorrow it'll be another one. Sure we can solve
this particular problem (but it's taking WEEKS!), but why would that be the
only one?

Kevin Kofler

Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Al Dunsmuir

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 4:15:28 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Today it's this package. Tomorrow it'll be another one. Sure we can solve
> this particular problem (but it's taking WEEKS!), but why would that be the
> only one?

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmxyj6iInMc

Now that the problem and solution have been identified in this case,
it seems to me that a similar approach would also work in the future.

It would be helpful if there was an automatic report send to the
developer mailing list identifying packages that have not been
promoted within a certain number of days. That would serve to keep
things from slipping through the cracks.

Al