Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default nightly compose not bootable?

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 11:17:19 -0700,
Carl Byington <carl@five-ten-sg.com> wrote:

> desktop-i386-20100916.15.iso fails to boot from cd on dell dimension
> 2350. Does it work for other folks?

Do you have some more symptoms you can tell us? I did a local compose from
around the same time and it worked on a USB drive. So I suspect it's a
harware specific problem.

If it might be video related, you can hit tab at the first window to
get the boot menu and then try using the basic video boot option.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 13:23:27 -0500,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 11:17:19 -0700,
> Carl Byington <carl@five-ten-sg.com> wrote:
> >
> > desktop-i386-20100916.15.iso fails to boot from cd on dell dimension
> > 2350. Does it work for other folks?
>
> Do you have some more symptoms you can tell us? I did a local compose from
> around the same time and it worked on a USB drive. So I suspect it's a
> harware specific problem.
>
> If it might be video related, you can hit tab at the first window to
> get the boot menu and then try using the basic video boot option.

There was also a recent thread about a problem related to VT-d on a different
Dell model which mentioned that disabling iommu at boot made things better.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Carl Byington