Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Mildred Ki'Lya

Default A way to keep systemd running on F14?

Hi,

I'm quite disappointed at the decision yesterday to defer systemd to
F15. I can understand why it was decided (such a core component must be
introduced with care) but I was under the impression that systemd was
already polished enough so it could be shipped.

I upgraded my system to F14 alpha few weeks ago when I learned that
systemd was part of it. And now, I see that yum want to revert back to
upstart.

If I understand the rationale behind the FESCo decision, it's to make
systemd even better and well integrated in F15. How is that going to
happen if we can't test it with F14?

What I'm asking here is **how can I keep systemd?**

I don't want to go to rawhide until F15 alpha at minimum, I need a
stable enough system for daily use.

Thanks,

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya
*───────── mildred593*onlin .fr ──────────

Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Tomasz Torcz

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:44:31AM +0200, Mildred Ki'Lya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm quite disappointed at the decision yesterday to defer systemd to
> F15. I can understand why it was decided (such a core component must be
> introduced with care) but I was under the impression that systemd was
> already polished enough so it could be shipped.
>
> I upgraded my system to F14 alpha few weeks ago when I learned that
> systemd was part of it. And now, I see that yum want to revert back to
> upstart.
>
> What I'm asking here is **how can I keep systemd?**

I've put “exclude=upstart*” in my /etc/yum.conf and it seems to
work fine. It's not a perfect solution – one need to pay attention
to upstart changelog and update if necessary.

--
Tomasz Torcz ,,If you try to upissue this patchset I shall be seeking
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl an IP-routable hand grenade.' -- Andrew Morton (LKML)

Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Hakel Gumar

You can set the init process in grub.conf, just append to the kernel
line the following:
real_init=/bin/systemd

I agree that systemd should remain a working option for F14 users (man,
it rocks) and so there should a simple way to switch.

best regards,
H.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 10:00 +0200, Hakel Gumar wrote:
> You can set the init process in grub.conf, just append to the kernel
> line the following:
> real_init=/bin/systemd

Forgive the probably dumb question, but why real_init? I was using
init=/sbin/upstart
back in the days when systemd was still badly broken...

> I agree that systemd should remain a working option for F14 users (man,
> it rocks) and so there should a simple way to switch.

Hrm, I'm not sure whether it rocks, but at least it more or less works
now (but does not shut down, but I believe I noticed thread or something
about that somewhere so it's probably known issue...).

Anyway, I'll probably keep it as well for it to rock in F15 :-D

Martin

Old 09-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Frank Murphy

On 16/09/10 08:44, Mildred Ki'Lya wrote:
<snip>

> If I understand the rationale behind the FESCo decision, it's to make
> systemd even better and well integrated in F15. How is that going to
> happen if we can't test it with F14?

> What I'm asking here is **how can I keep systemd?**

Test in in Rawhide(F15),
where it still is the default.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Hakel Gumar

Le 16/09/2010 11:00, Martin Sourada a crit :
> Forgive the probably dumb question, but why real_init? I was using
> init=/sbin/upstart
> back in the days when systemd was still badly broken...

Erm, i mixed up the setup of systemd for Gentoo and Fedora, the former
uses genkernel instead of dracut for building ramdisks images so some
options may differ.
One should use init= instead of real_init= on Fedora, sorry for the
inconvenience.

best regards,
H.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:

Hrm, I'm not sure whether it rocks, but at least it more or less works

now (but does not shut down, but I believe I noticed thread or something

about that somewhere so it's probably known issue...).

Don't see any bug report filed on this?* If you have all the updates and see this problem, please file a bug report.

Rahul