FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Lennert Buytenhek
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

Hi all,

We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.

The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
little endian. The majority of the important and frequently used
Fedora packages have been built for ARM.

The Fedora/ARM architecture wiki page has more info:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

The easiest way to start using Fedora 8/ARM is to download the
prebuilt root filesystem, which can be booted in QEMU, or chroot'ed
into or booted from on any ARMv5 or later processor running in little
endian mode. Additional packages can be installed by using yum,
which is provided in the filesystem.

A HOWTO which describes getting Fedora/ARM running in QEMU is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu

There currently are a handful of known issues, which are described at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/TODO

Please help us by using the Fedora/ARM port and reporting any issues
you run into so that we can fix them.


thanks,
Lennert

_______________________________________________
Fedora-devel-announce mailing list
Fedora-devel-announce@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-announce

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Josh Boyer
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:33:31 +0100
Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@wantstofly.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
>
> The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
> little endian. The majority of the important and frequently used
> Fedora packages have been built for ARM.
>
> The Fedora/ARM architecture wiki page has more info:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
>
> The easiest way to start using Fedora 8/ARM is to download the
> prebuilt root filesystem, which can be booted in QEMU, or chroot'ed
> into or booted from on any ARMv5 or later processor running in little
> endian mode. Additional packages can be installed by using yum,
> which is provided in the filesystem.
>
> A HOWTO which describes getting Fedora/ARM running in QEMU is here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu
>
> There currently are a handful of known issues, which are described at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/TODO
>
> Please help us by using the Fedora/ARM port and reporting any issues
> you run into so that we can fix them.

How long until you have instructions on installing Fedora on the
n800/n810?

josh

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 AM
"Gianluca Sforna"
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

On Jan 17, 2008 3:33 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:33:31 +0100
> Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@wantstofly.org> wrote:
> >
> > A HOWTO which describes getting Fedora/ARM running in QEMU is here:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu
> >
> > There currently are a handful of known issues, which are described at:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/TODO
> >
> > Please help us by using the Fedora/ARM port and reporting any issues
> > you run into so that we can fix them.
>
> How long until you have instructions on installing Fedora on the
> n800/n810?

Don't forget about my Linksys NSLU2...

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Caolan McNamara
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 00:33 +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
>
> The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
> little endian. The majority of the important and frequently used
> Fedora packages have been built for ARM.

FWIW, I ported OOo to arm-eabi last year, the "vanilla" rpms of the time
are at...
http://ooo.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/cws/upload/armeabiport01/
and that work is now integrated into 2.4.0 as in rawhide so in theory
for F9 it should build out of the box.

At the time there was no ecj/libgcj port to arm-eabi so the extra flag
to OOo's configure required to workaround that was --without-java, I
see java-1.5.0-gcj-devel in the repo now so that's presumably
unnecessary now.

C.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Oliver Falk
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
>
> The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
> little endian. The majority of the important and frequently used
> Fedora packages have been built for ARM.
>
> The Fedora/ARM architecture wiki page has more info:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
>
> The easiest way to start using Fedora 8/ARM is to download the
> prebuilt root filesystem, which can be booted in QEMU, or chroot'ed
> into or booted from on any ARMv5 or later processor running in little
> endian mode. Additional packages can be installed by using yum,
> which is provided in the filesystem.
>
> A HOWTO which describes getting Fedora/ARM running in QEMU is here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu
>
> There currently are a handful of known issues, which are described at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/TODO
>
> Please help us by using the Fedora/ARM port and reporting any issues
> you run into so that we can fix them.

I should have bought something else/bigger than my WRT54, I guess :-)

-of

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Andrew Haley
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

Caolan McNamara writes:
>
> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 00:33 +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> > Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
> >
> > The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
> > little endian. The majority of the important and frequently used
> > Fedora packages have been built for ARM.
>
> FWIW, I ported OOo to arm-eabi last year, the "vanilla" rpms of the time
> are at...
> http://ooo.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/cws/upload/armeabiport01/
> and that work is now integrated into 2.4.0 as in rawhide so in theory
> for F9 it should build out of the box.
>
> At the time there was no ecj/libgcj port to arm-eabi so the extra flag
> to OOo's configure required to workaround that was --without-java, I
> see java-1.5.0-gcj-devel in the repo now so that's presumably
> unnecessary now.

I certainly hope so. Lennert and I have done a lot of work to get gcj
working on ARM EABI, so if anything fails I'd appreciate a heads-up.
Yeah, I know it's rather slow. :-)

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Jima
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Gianluca Sforna wrote:

On Jan 17, 2008 3:33 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:33:31 +0100
Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@wantstofly.org> wrote:


A HOWTO which describes getting Fedora/ARM running in QEMU is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu


How long until you have instructions on installing Fedora on the
n800/n810?


Don't forget about my Linksys NSLU2...


I'd love to get Fedora on my NSLU2 -- although that'll probably require
me to find/buy a USB hard drive. :-)


Jima

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Lennert Buytenhek
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:23:10AM +0100, Oliver Falk wrote:

> > We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> > Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
> >
> > The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
> > little endian. The majority of the important and frequently used
> > Fedora packages have been built for ARM.
> >
> > The Fedora/ARM architecture wiki page has more info:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
> >
> > The easiest way to start using Fedora 8/ARM is to download the
> > prebuilt root filesystem, which can be booted in QEMU, or chroot'ed
> > into or booted from on any ARMv5 or later processor running in little
> > endian mode. Additional packages can be installed by using yum,
> > which is provided in the filesystem.
> >
> > A HOWTO which describes getting Fedora/ARM running in QEMU is here:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu
> >
> > There currently are a handful of known issues, which are described at:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/TODO
> >
> > Please help us by using the Fedora/ARM port and reporting any issues
> > you run into so that we can fix them.
>
> I should have bought something else/bigger than my WRT54, I guess :-)

Isn't the WRT54 MIPS based with 4M of RAM or so?

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Lennert Buytenhek
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:12:03AM +0000, Caolan McNamara wrote:

> > We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> > Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
> >
> > The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
> > little endian. The majority of the important and frequently used
> > Fedora packages have been built for ARM.
>
> FWIW, I ported OOo to arm-eabi last year, the "vanilla" rpms of the time
> are at...
> http://ooo.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/cws/upload/armeabiport01/
> and that work is now integrated into 2.4.0 as in rawhide so in theory
> for F9 it should build out of the box.

Cool! Is there any place that documents the changes necessary for
2.3 so that we can also provide a (separate) set of 2.3 rpms for F8?


> At the time there was no ecj/libgcj port to arm-eabi so the extra flag
> to OOo's configure required to workaround that was --without-java, I
> see java-1.5.0-gcj-devel in the repo now so that's presumably
> unnecessary now.

Yep, in theory.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 PM
"Peter Robinson"
 
Default Fedora 8/ARM available

On Jan 17, 2008 2:40 PM, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@wantstofly.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:23:10AM +0100, Oliver Falk wrote:
>
> > > We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> > > Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
> > >
> > > The package repository has been built for ARMv5 EABI, soft-float,
> > > little endian. The majority of the important and frequently used
> > > Fedora packages have been built for ARM.
> > >
> > > The Fedora/ARM architecture wiki page has more info:
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
> > >
> > > The easiest way to start using Fedora 8/ARM is to download the
> > > prebuilt root filesystem, which can be booted in QEMU, or chroot'ed
> > > into or booted from on any ARMv5 or later processor running in little
> > > endian mode. Additional packages can be installed by using yum,
> > > which is provided in the filesystem.
> > >
> > > A HOWTO which describes getting Fedora/ARM running in QEMU is here:
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu
> > >
> > > There currently are a handful of known issues, which are described at:
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/TODO
> > >
> > > Please help us by using the Fedora/ARM port and reporting any issues
> > > you run into so that we can fix them.
> >
> > I should have bought something else/bigger than my WRT54, I guess :-)
>
> Isn't the WRT54 MIPS based with 4M of RAM or so?

Yes I think so. They're Broadcom chips which I'm pretty sure uses a MIPS32 core.

But on the other hand my Dlink DNS-323 is a 500Hmz Marvell ARM chip. A
storage Fedora sub distro would be cool.

Peter

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org