Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   who is Petr Pisar from redhat ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/393816-who-petr-pisar-redhat.html)

Chitlesh GOORAH 07-01-2010 07:09 PM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
Hello there,

I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.

Petr Pisar seems to mess with my packages.

It's simply disgusting !!

Chitlesh !
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

seth vidal 07-01-2010 07:21 PM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 21:09 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
> FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.
>
> Petr Pisar seems to mess with my packages.
>
> It's simply disgusting !!

1. 'disgusting' seems a bit strong - you sure that word is what you
wanted to choose?

2. maybe instead of calling it out on the list in public you could email
him and ask?

try to be excellent, please.
-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

David Woodhouse 07-02-2010 06:08 AM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 21:09 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
>
> I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
> FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.
>
> Petr Pisar seems to mess with my packages.
>
> It's simply disgusting !!

You haven't provided enough information. What's _wrong_ with helping out
by packaging the latest version (I assume that's what he did?) Did he do
it only for rawhide, or also with updates for F-13 etc.? Was there a
good reason to upgrade? Are there open bugs which are fixed by the old
version? Was there a good reason _not_ to upgrade?

I see no fundamental reason why a Fedora packager shouldn't update a
Fedora package; without any further information my first inclination is
to think that you're being far too precious.

--
dwmw2

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

David Woodhouse 07-02-2010 06:08 AM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 21:09 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
>
> I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
> FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.
>
> Petr Pisar seems to mess with my packages.
>
> It's simply disgusting !!

You haven't provided enough information. What's _wrong_ with helping out
by packaging the latest version (I assume that's what he did?) Did he do
it only for rawhide, or also with updates for F-13 etc.? Was there a
good reason to upgrade? Are there open bugs which are fixed by the old
version? Was there a good reason _not_ to upgrade?

I see no fundamental reason why a Fedora packager shouldn't update a
Fedora package; without any further information my first inclination is
to think that you're being far too precious.

--
dwmw2

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Rahul Sundaram 07-02-2010 07:37 AM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
On 07/02/2010 12:57 PM, Josephine Tannhäuser wrote:
> It's seems to me that you have to be an employee of red hat to get the
> privilegue to deal arbitrarily with all packages.

Incorrect. Anyone in the provenpackagers group has access to almost all
packages. The one exception being Mozilla. There is nothing Red Hat
specific about it.

> imho that you have to ask him now why he did this is an unbounded
> cheek. he has to ask or informyou BEFORE he twiddled with your
> package. This is a minimum of respect he should give to you as
> maintainer of this package!

Respect is mutual. IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone
with commit access updating packages in Rawhide and if there are
mistakes in the process which will happen from time to time, deal with
it politely offlist.

Rahul

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Ralf Corsepius 07-02-2010 07:53 AM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
On 07/02/2010 09:37 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 12:57 PM, Josephine Tannhäuser wrote:
>> It's seems to me that you have to be an employee of red hat to get the
>> privilegue to deal arbitrarily with all packages.
>
> Incorrect. Anyone in the provenpackagers group has access to almost all
> packages.

The Petr's are apparent newbies/newcomers.

They were granted access to all perl-packages, because they are @RH.
Probably because it is their paid job to work on these packages.

I am not sure what I should think of this from a general perspective.
Fact is, except of committing a couple of "beginner mistakes", at least
Petr Pisar so far has been doing an excellent job.

> Respect is mutual.
Yes. Please understand that Fedora is a community project.

Ralf

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Chen Lei 07-02-2010 07:54 AM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
2010/7/2 Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh.goorah@gmail.com>:
> Hello there,
>
> I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
> FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.
>

It looks like Petr Pisar just fixed some FTBTS bugs in rawhide after
mass-rebuiding of all perl-related packages. If he done anything
wrong to violate fedora packaging guideline, you can point them out,
otherwise I don't think it's a serious problem for fixing FTBTS bugs
before notifying particular maintainers.

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/perl5.12
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Rahul Sundaram 07-02-2010 08:05 AM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
On 07/02/2010 01:23 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> The Petr's are apparent newbies/newcomers.
>
> They were granted access to all perl-packages, because they are @RH.
> Probably because it is their paid job to work on these packages.

I am not aware of the specifics here. Fedora's sponsorship model allows
any sponsor to approve a new person to become a package maintainer . If
there is a process violation, file it with FESCo but as the ongoing
other thread related to this topic, less rigid idea of "ownership" is
the right mind set.


Rahul
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Ralf Corsepius 07-02-2010 08:26 AM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
On 07/02/2010 10:05 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 01:23 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> The Petr's are apparent newbies/newcomers.
>>
>> They were granted access to all perl-packages, because they are @RH.
>> Probably because it is their paid job to work on these packages.
>
> I am not aware of the specifics here.

I am mostly familiar with it.

> Fedora's sponsorship model allows
> any sponsor to approve a new person to become a package maintainer . If
> there is a process violation,
There was: These people are apparent new-comers and have been granted
access to several 100s (in the order of >> 1000) packages.

> file it with FESCo but as the ongoing
> other thread related to this topic, less rigid idea of "ownership" is
> the right mind set.
The problem is not ownership the problem is "qualification" and "double
standards".

That said, I can't avoid having to agree to Josephine. The Petr's hardly
would have been granted this amount of CVS access if they had not been @RH.

Ralf

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Mamoru Tasaka 07-02-2010 08:35 AM

who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?
 
Chitlesh GOORAH wrote, at 07/02/2010 04:09 AM +9:00:
> Hello there,
>
> I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
> FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.
>
> Petr Pisar seems to mess with my packages.
>
> It's simply disgusting !!
>
> Chitlesh !

Apart from politeness, I want to clarify what actually occurred here:

Perhaps Chitlesh complained about this change:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/scm-commits/2010-May/433306.html
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/perl-SystemPerl/devel/?pathrev=perl-SystemPerl-1_334-1_fc14

However, looking carefully:
---------------------------------------------------
Author: mmaslano <========================================

Update of /cvs/pkgs/rpms/perl-SystemPerl/devel
In directory cvs01.phx2.fedoraproject.org:/tmp/cvs-serv26946

Modified Files:
.cvsignore perl-SystemPerl.spec sources
Log Message:
* Thu May 13 2010 Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> - 1.334-1
- Version bump
- Disable parallel make (https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=57469)
---------------------------------------------------
So the actually committer is not ppisar but mmaslano.
Actually as far as I checked the pkgdb / FAS, ppisar does not have any acls
for perl-SystemPerl.

Regards,
Mamoru
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.