Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Kalev Lember

Default who is Petr Pisar from redhat ?

On 07/02/2010 11:35 AM, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> Chitlesh GOORAH wrote, at 07/02/2010 04:09 AM +9:00:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
>> FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.
>>
>> Petr Pisar seems to mess with my packages.
>>
>> It's simply disgusting !!
>>
>> Chitlesh !
>
> Apart from politeness, I want to clarify what actually occurred here:
>
> Perhaps Chitlesh complained about this change:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/scm-commits/2010-May/433306.html
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/perl-SystemPerl/devel/?pathrev=perl-SystemPerl-1_334-1_fc14

Lets see if I got this right:
2009-09-15 chitlesh updates to 1.331, build fails
2009-12-07 kasal does mass perl 5.10.1 rebuild, build fails
2010-05-12 mmaslano does mass perl 5.10.2 rebuild, build fails
2010-05-14 mmaslano checks in ppisar's change which fixes the build
2010-07-01 chitlesh sends this mail

So, the build was broken for 8 months, then mmaslano (a provenpackager)
checked in a fix. After another 7 weeks, Chitlesh finally notices
someone has fixed the package and says its disgusting.

--
Kalev

Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Mamoru Tasaka

Kalev Lember wrote, at 07/02/2010 05:51 PM +9:00:
> On 07/02/2010 11:35 AM, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
>> Chitlesh GOORAH wrote, at 07/02/2010 04:09 AM +9:00:
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
>>> FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.
>>>
>>> Petr Pisar seems to mess with my packages.
>>>
>>> It's simply disgusting !!
>>>
>>> Chitlesh !
>>
>> Apart from politeness, I want to clarify what actually occurred here:
>>
>> Perhaps Chitlesh complained about this change:
>> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/scm-commits/2010-May/433306.html
>> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/perl-SystemPerl/devel/?pathrev=perl-SystemPerl-1_334-1_fc14
>
> Lets see if I got this right:
> 2009-09-15 chitlesh updates to 1.331, build fails
> 2009-12-07 kasal does mass perl 5.10.1 rebuild, build fails
> 2010-05-12 mmaslano does mass perl 5.10.2 rebuild, build fails
> 2010-05-14 mmaslano checks in ppisar's change which fixes the build
> 2010-07-01 chitlesh sends this mail

It seems so.
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8618

> So, the build was broken for 8 months, then mmaslano (a provenpackager)
> checked in a fix. After another 7 weeks, Chitlesh finally notices
> someone has fixed the package and says its disgusting.

Mamoru

Old 07-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 07/02/2010 01:56 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> That said, I can't avoid having to agree to Josephine. The Petr's hardly
> would have been granted this amount of CVS access if they had not been @RH.

It seems Chitlesh was wrong and the person doing the commit was
different. You seem to be complaining about a different issue altogether.

Rahul

Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Matěj Cepl

Dne 2.7.2010 09:37, Rahul Sundaram napsal(a):
> On 07/02/2010 12:57 PM, Josephine Tannhäuser wrote:
>> It's seems to me that you have to be an employee of red hat to get the
>> privilegue to deal arbitrarily with all packages.
>
> Incorrect. Anyone in the provenpackagers group has access to almost all
> packages. The one exception being Mozilla. There is nothing Red Hat
> specific about it.

a) even more strongly, being a Red Hat employee doesn't give you
anything ... you have to go through the Fedora provenpackager process
b) if you don't like provenpackagers to mess with your packages, go and
make a switch in pkgdb.

Matěj
--
We can tell our level of faith in what God wants to do for us by
our level of enthusiasm for what we want God to do for other.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Matěj Cepl

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Mark Chappell

Matěj Cepl wrote:
> b) if you don't like provenpackagers to mess with your packages, go and
> make a switch in pkgdb.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Provenpackager_policy

To exclude a package from provenpackagers access, you have to open a
ticket at FESCo issue tracker and explain why provenpackagers should
not have access to it. FESCo will discuss and vote on one of its weekly
meetings about your request.

ProvenPackagers are there precisely to do what it looks like happened
with : http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8618

Mark

Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 13:07:45 +0530, Rahul wrote:

> IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone
> with commit access updating packages in Rawhide

Of course there is. There ought to be prior communication about such plans
to upgrade a package. The primary package maintainer may have good reasons
for not upgrading the package. Just ask!

Btw, there is:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Who_is_allowed_to_modify_which_packages

> and if there are
> mistakes in the process which will happen from time to time, deal with
> it politely offlist.

Agreed. And the initial message that started this thread is lacking
details. Still it's reason to be concerned.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Matěj Cepl

Dne 2.7.2010 11:34, Michael Schwendt napsal(a):
> Of course there is. There ought to be prior communication about such plans
> to upgrade a package. The primary package maintainer may have good reasons
> for not upgrading the package. Just ask!

The primary package maintainer (see the other thread about "owning" a
package) who has a package 8 months in FTBFS doesn't have much rights in
my thinking.

Matěj

</thread>

--
Q: Is vi an easy editor to learn, is it intuitive?
A: Yes, some of us think so. But most people think that we are

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Matěj Cepl

Dne 2.7.2010 11:34, Michael Schwendt napsal(a):
> Of course there is. There ought to be prior communication about such plans
> to upgrade a package. The primary package maintainer may have good reasons
> for not upgrading the package. Just ask!

The primary package maintainer (see the other thread about "owning" a
package) who has a package 8 months in FTBFS doesn't have much rights in
my thinking.

Matěj

</thread>

--
Q: Is vi an easy editor to learn, is it intuitive?
A: Yes, some of us think so. But most people think that we are
crazy.
-- vi FAQ

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Miloslav Trmač

David Woodhouse p*še v Pá 02. 07. 2010 v 07:08 +0100:
> On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 21:09 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> >
> > I would appreciate if someone else who is NEITHER a co-maintainer NOR
> > FESCo member don't version bump my packages, without notifying me.
> >
> > Petr Pisar seems to mess with my packages.
> >
> > It's simply disgusting !!
>
> You haven't provided enough information. What's _wrong_ with helping out
> by packaging the latest version (I assume that's what he did?) Did he do
> it only for rawhide, or also with updates for F-13 etc.? Was there a
> good reason to upgrade? Are there open bugs which are fixed by the old
> version? Was there a good reason _not_ to upgrade?
>
> I see no fundamental reason why a Fedora packager shouldn't update a
> Fedora package; without any further information my first inclination is
> to think that you're being far too precious.
(Completely abstracting from the specifics of this package, about which
I don't know anything.)

Fedora expects a package maintainer to be the main "go to person", to
handle bug reports, update the package for RPM changes, compiler
changes, packaging standards and so forth - even if all the maintainer
really cares about is that the package works in their particular
environment with their particular Fedora version. Many package
maintainers don't get anything in return except for the minimal reward
of being known as the maintainer of the package.

Because the maintainer will be expected to deal with the resulting bug
reports, it seems quite reasonable to me that the maintainer should at
least be consulted about non-trivial changes to the package. Also,
changing a package contrary to the wishes of primary maintainer removes
their authority and discretion over the tasks they are expected to do,
which is understood to decrease intrinsic motivation.
Mirek