-   -   Seeking new maintainer for iasl (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/393561-seeking-new-maintainer-iasl.html)

Till Maas 07-01-2010 10:49 AM

Seeking new maintainer for iasl

Hi,

a long time ago I packaged iasl, because it is a BR for VirtualBox. I
even received once a bug report for it, because someone used it for
something else which did not work. Since I do not know what to do with
it and I am not involved in packaging VirtualBox anymore, the package
might be better off with someone who knows more about it, because there
are still new releases made for it afaics.

So if someone uses this package, please tell me and I will orphan it:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/iasl

Regards
Till

"Daniel P. Berrange" 07-01-2010 10:52 AM

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 12:49:27PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a long time ago I packaged iasl, because it is a BR for VirtualBox. I
> even received once a bug report for it, because someone used it for
> something else which did not work. Since I do not know what to do with
> it and I am not involved in packaging VirtualBox anymore, the package
> might be better off with someone who knows more about it, because there
> are still new releases made for it afaics.
>
> So if someone uses this package, please tell me and I will orphan it:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/iasl

It is a BuildRequires for KVM/QEMU still.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|

Till Maas 07-01-2010 11:36 AM

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:52:29AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 12:49:27PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > a long time ago I packaged iasl, because it is a BR for VirtualBox. I
> > even received once a bug report for it, because someone used it for
> > something else which did not work. Since I do not know what to do with
> > it and I am not involved in packaging VirtualBox anymore, the package
> > might be better off with someone who knows more about it, because there
> > are still new releases made for it afaics.
> >
> > So if someone uses this package, please tell me and I will orphan it:
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/iasl
>
> It is a BuildRequires for KVM/QEMU still.

I never knew that, but I just checked and this stopped after F10 for kvm
and F11 for qemu.

Regards
Till

Jon Ciesla 07-01-2010 01:54 PM

On 07/01/2010 06:36 AM, Till Maas wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:52:29AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 12:49:27PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> a long time ago I packaged iasl, because it is a BR for VirtualBox. I
>>> even received once a bug report for it, because someone used it for
>>> something else which did not work. Since I do not know what to do with
>>> it and I am not involved in packaging VirtualBox anymore, the package
>>> might be better off with someone who knows more about it, because there
>>> are still new releases made for it afaics.
>>>
>>> So if someone uses this package, please tell me and I will orphan it:
>>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/iasl
>>>
>> It is a BuildRequires for KVM/QEMU still.
>>
> I never knew that, but I just checked and this stopped after F10 for kvm
> and F11 for qemu.
>
> Regards
> Till

repoquery --repoid=rawhide-source --archlist=src --whatrequires iasl
returns nothing. It looks like we may not need it for anything else,
though it may have value to developers for other things.

If you don't want to maintain it, I can packagemonkey it and keep it up
to date, unless someone with more use for it or knowledge of it steps up.

-J

--
- in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Till Maas 07-01-2010 02:16 PM

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 08:54:01AM -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:

> repoquery --repoid=rawhide-source --archlist=src --whatrequires iasl
> returns nothing. It looks like we may not need it for anything else,
> though it may have value to developers for other things.

Ah, this is a nice query. It is still BR'ed by VirtualBox-OSE as
repoquery --disablerepo * --enablerepo rpmfusion*-source
--archlist=src --whatrequires iasl
tells me.

> If you don't want to maintain it, I can packagemonkey it and keep it up
> to date, unless someone with more use for it or knowledge of it steps up.

Thank you, I just released ownership:
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/iasl

Regards
Till

Matthew Garrett 07-01-2010 02:58 PM

Seeking new maintainer for iasl

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 08:54:01AM -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:

> repoquery --repoid=rawhide-source --archlist=src --whatrequires iasl
> returns nothing. It looks like we may not need it for anything else,
> though it may have value to developers for other things.

Under some circumstances it can end up being used in the seabios build,
but I don't think it's a requirement right now.

> If you don't want to maintain it, I can packagemonkey it and keep it up
> to date, unless someone with more use for it or knowledge of it steps up.

I use it on a pretty much daily basis and recently got hit by a bug that
was fixed in a later release, so I'll happily take it if you're not
hugely enthusiastic about looking after it.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Don Dutile 07-01-2010 04:10 PM

Jon Ciesla wrote:
> On 07/01/2010 06:36 AM, Till Maas wrote:

>>> It is a BuildRequires for KVM/QEMU still.
>>>
>> I never knew that, but I just checked and this stopped after F10 for kvm
>> and F11 for qemu.
>>
>> Regards
>> Till
>>
> repoquery --repoid=rawhide-source --archlist=src --whatrequires iasl
> returns nothing. It looks like we may not need it for anything else,
> though it may have value to developers for other things.

used to decode DMAR tables in BIOS (intel-iommu cfg info) when there are
'bios features'.

M A Young 07-01-2010 04:14 PM

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Jon Ciesla wrote:

> repoquery --repoid=rawhide-source --archlist=src --whatrequires iasl returns
> nothing. It looks like we may not need it for anything else, though it may
> have value to developers for other things.

For me it finds 3 packages,
iasl-0:20090123-3.fc12.src
bochs-0:2.4.5-1.fc14.src
xen-0:4.0.0-2.fc14.src

Michael Young

seth vidal 07-01-2010 04:17 PM

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 17:14 +0100, M A Young wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>
> > repoquery --repoid=rawhide-source --archlist=src --whatrequires iasl returns
> > nothing. It looks like we may not need it for anything else, though it may
> > have value to developers for other things.
>
> For me it finds 3 packages,
> iasl-0:20090123-3.fc12.src
> bochs-0:2.4.5-1.fc14.src
> xen-0:4.0.0-2.fc14.src

I get the same list.

-sv

Jon Ciesla 07-01-2010 05:02 PM

On 07/01/2010 09:58 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 08:54:01AM -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>

>> repoquery --repoid=rawhide-source --archlist=src --whatrequires iasl
>> returns nothing. It looks like we may not need it for anything else,
>> though it may have value to developers for other things.
>>
> Under some circumstances it can end up being used in the seabios build,
> but I don't think it's a requirement right now.
>

>> If you don't want to maintain it, I can packagemonkey it and keep it up
>> to date, unless someone with more use for it or knowledge of it steps up.
>>
> I use it on a pretty much daily basis and recently got hit by a bug that
> was fixed in a later release, so I'll happily take it if you're not
> hugely enthusiastic about looking after it.

I think you'd be a better candidate. Have at.

-J