Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

Default Feature Request: nsupdate-gss

Hello,

I am wondering if someone would be willing to package
http://samba.org/~tridge/junkcode/tsig-gss/ and maybe work with the
ddclient people to add support for adding A and AAAA records with this.
(I do not know if bind shipped in Fedora has the tsig updates or not,
but it should.) If possible, can this be modified to do reverse DNS
setup as well and have ddclient do that setup as well?

I have attached my beginning of a spec file. I cannot tell you if it is
any good or not.

Thank you for whoever is willing to pick this up.

Trever

Name: nsupdate_gss
Version: 20100629
Release: 1%{?dist}

Group: Servers
License: FIXME: UNKNOWN
Source0:
BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

BuildRequires: FIXME
Requires: perl-GSSAPI perl-Net-DNS krb5-workstation (FIXME best guess at debian packages libnet-dns-perl, libgssapi-perl, krb5-user)

%description
This is an implementation of a tsig-gss dynamic dns update client. It
has been tested against windows 2000 servers using MIT kerberos and
des-cbc-crc kerberos tickets.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Stephen Gallagher

On 06/29/2010 05:27 PM, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if someone would be willing to package
> http://samba.org/~tridge/junkcode/tsig-gss/ and maybe work with the
> ddclient people to add support for adding A and AAAA records with this.
> (I do not know if bind shipped in Fedora has the tsig updates or not,
> but it should.) If possible, can this be modified to do reverse DNS
> setup as well and have ddclient do that setup as well?
>
> I have attached my beginning of a spec file. I cannot tell you if it is
> any good or not.
>
> Thank you for whoever is willing to pick this up.
>
> Trever

I'm not sure what the utility of this is. nsupdate in Fedora already has
support for GSS-TSIG.

For an example of its use,
http://freeipa.org/page/Dynamic_updates_with_GSS-TSIG#Configuring_the_client

Does this nsupdate-gss feature do something that standard nsupdate does not?

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

On 06/30/2010 05:01 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> I'm not sure what the utility of this is. nsupdate in Fedora already has
> support for GSS-TSIG.
>
> For an example of its use,
> http://freeipa.org/page/Dynamic_updates_with_GSS-TSIG#Configuring_the_client
>
> Does this nsupdate-gss feature do something that standard nsupdate does not?

Nothing at all. I was simply unaware of this tool, doing searches for
TSIG and GSS in software update/install doesn't show this.

Thank you for making me aware of this. The only remaining thing I need
is support for this in ddclient (or NetworkManager, etc.).

Again, thank you for correcting my ignorance. I am sorry for the noise.

Trever
--
"The Master doesn't talk, he acts. When his work is done, the people
say, 'Amazing: we did it, all by ourselves!'" -- Lao-tzu

Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

On 06/30/2010 05:01 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> I'm not sure what the utility of this is. nsupdate in Fedora already has
> support for GSS-TSIG.
>
> For an example of its use,
> http://freeipa.org/page/Dynamic_updates_with_GSS-TSIG#Configuring_the_client
>
> Does this nsupdate-gss feature do something that standard nsupdate does not?

I do have one question, will this work for AAAA addresses and the
equivalent PTR?

If so, then yes, it is as you suspected that it will do everything the
other will do.

Trever
--
"If there was strife and contention in the home, very little else in
life could compensate for it." -- Lawana Blackwell, The Courtship of the

Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Simo Sorce

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 06:26:05 -0600
"Trever L. Adams" <trever.adams@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/30/2010 05:01 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure what the utility of this is. nsupdate in Fedora
> > already has support for GSS-TSIG.
> >
> > For an example of its use,
> > http://freeipa.org/page/Dynamic_updates_with_GSS-TSIG#Configuring_the_client
> >
> > Does this nsupdate-gss feature do something that standard nsupdate
> > does not?
> Nothing at all. I was simply unaware of this tool, doing searches for
> TSIG and GSS in software update/install doesn't show this.
>
> Thank you for making me aware of this. The only remaining thing I need
> is support for this in ddclient (or NetworkManager, etc.).
>
> Again, thank you for correcting my ignorance. I am sorry for the
> noise.

NetworkManger has support for running scripts when an interface comes
up (goes down), read the docs, it should be easy to create your
nsupdate script and drop it in the right place.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York

Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On 06/30/2010 08:29 AM, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> On 06/30/2010 05:01 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what the utility of this is. nsupdate in Fedora already has
>> support for GSS-TSIG.
>>
>> For an example of its use,
>> http://freeipa.org/page/Dynamic_updates_with_GSS-TSIG#Configuring_the_client
>>
>> Does this nsupdate-gss feature do something that standard nsupdate does not?
>>

> I do have one question, will this work for AAAA addresses and the
> equivalent PTR?
>
> If so, then yes, it is as you suspected that it will do everything the
> other will do.
>
> Trever

I believe it does, though I don't have an example handy.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

On 06/30/2010 06:31 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:

> NetworkManger has support for running scripts when an interface comes
> up (goes down), read the docs, it should be easy to create your
> nsupdate script and drop it in the right place.
>
> Simo.

I am looking at that and dhcp documentation now. My question is would
nsupdate be better called by NetworkManager or dhcp? From documentation
on the web, it seems I can' trust /etc/dhcp/dhclient.d to work from
NetworkManger. But from the documentation, I don't seem to be able to
get IP address change info via NetworkManager, but it seems I can from
dhcp. The url below seems to suggest the NM does NOT give a renew
message of any kind.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/293139/comments/27

Thanks for any pointers,
Trever
--
"...the measure of a man is what he will do for another man, knowing he
will get nothing in return." -- Unknown