Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Mohammed Morsi

Default Missing dependency that is already installed

Howdy,

** I've been scratching my head over this one for a few days now and
figure I'd ask for some help.

I'm trying to build Ruby on Rails v 2.3.8 against Fedora 13. Rails
itself simply pulls in various active* / action* packages, eg
activerecord, activesupport, and a few more.

Activerecord itself depends on a activesupport rpm of the same version,
and while I can build those both, activerecord is failing to install,
saying that it cannot find the required activesupport dependency. eg

yum install --nogpgcheck ruby-activerecord-2.3.8-3.fc13.noarch.rpm Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekitSetting up Install ProcessExamining ruby-activerecord-2.3.8-3.fc13.noarch.rpm: ruby-activerecord-2.3.8-3.fc13.noarchMarking ruby-activerecord-2.3.8-3.fc13.noarch.rpm to be installedResolving Dependencies--> Running transaction check---> Package ruby-activerecord.noarch 0:2.3.8-3.fc13 set to be updated--> Processing Dependency: rubygem-activesupport = 2.3.8 for package: ruby-activerecord-2.3.8-3.fc13.noarch--> Finished Dependency ResolutionError: Package: ruby-activerecord-2.3.8-3.fc13.noarch (/ruby-activerecord-2.3.8-3.fc13.noarch) Requires: rubygem-activesupport = 2.3.8 Installed: 1:rubygem-activesupport-2.3.8-1.fc13.noarch (@/rubygem-activesupport-2.3.8-1.fc13.noarch) Available: 1:rubygem-activesupport-2.3.5-1.fc13.noarch (fedora) You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

This occurs both on a stock F13 install and via mock, setup to pull
packages in from Fedora and a repo I built which includes the relevant
activesupport package.

Any thoughts on why this is occurring? Also how to work around this
(preferably without using the --skip-broken flag)?

If anyone wants to try this themselves, I uploaded the activerecord /
activesupport rpms here

http://mo.morsi.org/files/rpms/rubygem-activesupport-2.3.8-3.fc13.src.rpm

http://mo.morsi.org/files/rpms/ruby-activerecord-2.3.8-3.fc13.src.rpm

Thanks alot,

* -Mo

Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Mohammed Morsi

Hey just to follow up, the mistake was on my part I believe. I was using
the ancient ruby-activerecord package, which will soon be retired as it
has long since been replaced w/ rubygem-activerecord.

I'm still not sure why ruby-activerecord didn't work, especially with
rubygem-activesupport installed, but trying this again w/
rubygem-activerecord results in a successful build / install.

Thanks for the help,
-Mo

Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 21:32 -0400, Mohammed Morsi wrote:
> Hey just to follow up, the mistake was on my part I believe. I was using
> the ancient ruby-activerecord package, which will soon be retired as it
> has long since been replaced w/ rubygem-activerecord.
>
> I'm still not sure why ruby-activerecord didn't work, especially with
> rubygem-activesupport installed, but trying this again w/
> rubygem-activerecord results in a successful build / install.

Two people gave you the correct answer in the thread. It's because of
the epoch. A package with an EVR of 1:2.3.8 does not satisfy a
requirement of 2.3.8.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey