Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Michał Piotrowski

Default Feature 14 - official Fedora re-spins

Hi,

I wonder if it would be a big problem to create regular (for example,
every three months) re-spins of main installation images - cd's and
dvd's for i386 and x86_64 (not livecd's).

Fedoraunity http://fedoraunity.org/re-spins creates such images, but
it's not regular.

Regards,
Michal

Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Michał Piotrowski

And you can call it service pack not re-spin

Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 PM
mike cloaked

2010/6/27 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it would be a big problem to create regular (for example,
> every three months) re-spins of main installation images - cd's and
> dvd's for i386 and x86_64 (not livecd's).
>
> Fedoraunity http://fedoraunity.org/re-spins creates such images, but
> it's not regular.

It is possible to create your own using mock/pungi - I have been doing
this for several years now - two big advantages for me are that I can
remove all the locale stuff for languages I don't need, thus reducing
the final iso size by quite a margin, and also can add packages that
are not on the original iso as well as producing an up to date DVD
install iso that needs minimal yum updates if used soon after building
it. I do a rebuild just before installing on my machines - so if it
will be another month before installing on the next machine then I
rebuild again just before that. You do need access to a fast mirror
(or your own mirror) to get the new rpms - but the build process
itself only takes about half an hour on a moderate capability machine.

The basic recipe was detailed on this very list in the past year if
you look back/search the list.
--
mike c

Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Michał Piotrowski

2010/6/27 mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com>:
> 2010/6/27 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if it would be a big problem to create regular (for example,
>> every three months) re-spins of main installation images - cd's and
>> dvd's for i386 and x86_64 (not livecd's).
>>
>> Fedoraunity http://fedoraunity.org/re-spins creates such images, but
>> it's not regular.
>
> It is possible to create your own using mock/pungi

I tried to build my own installation iso's with revisor but I never
successed (some problems with creating an iso after downloading all
needed packages).

Maybe your way is better. But it still requires a machine with Fedora
and some time to download packages, create ks files and other stuff.
It's a bit to tricky for me - I newer successed with GUI tool - it's
far more complex than kernel building . I installed a few systems
from net install iso, but it's PITA when you have only 1Mb/s internet
connection.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Adam Williamson

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 23:12 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it would be a big problem to create regular (for example,
> every three months) re-spins of main installation images - cd's and
> dvd's for i386 and x86_64 (not livecd's).
>
> Fedoraunity http://fedoraunity.org/re-spins creates such images, but
> it's not regular.

This is the answer to your question. It's not regular because it's
not particularly easy to do so to a high enough standard for public
consumption. There's quite a lot of testing involved in making sure your
ISOs will actually work acceptably for people other than yourself. (See,
fr'instance,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Installation_Test ,
the validation testing we do on official releases; Unity have their own
testing process, but it's fairly similar).

Unity is pretty much the venue where this happens. If you'd like to help
out with making it happen more regularly, contribute to Unity
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Robert 'Bob' Jensen

----- "Michał Piotrowski" <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation of the problem. I never thought it could
> be
> a big issue.
>
> Regards,
> Michal

Michal,

Re-Spins as mentioned are a fair amount of work because we in the Unity project have set very high standards for ourselves. If you are interested in helping out the effort we always welcome people that can test, code, host/seed, bug hunt. Our IRC channel is on Freenode like most other Fedora channels, it is #fedora-unity if you are interested and/or able to help.

-- Bob