Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Adam Williamson

Default Proposed release criteria additions for F14+

Sorry for the cross-post, but figured it's worth CCing devel in case
anyone has concerns on these.

I'm currently working on a plan to expand desktop validation testing. As
part of the discussion around this, Christoph Wickert proposed several
additions to the release criteria that seem sensible to me. I'd like to
propose we add these to the criteria for F14 and on:

* Saving passwords in the desktop default keyring (if the desktop
implements one), and retrieving passwords from the keyring, must work

* The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check for
updates when running on an installed system

* The desktop's offered mechanisms for shutting down, logging out and
rebooting must work

Anyone have comments or objections to these? Suggestions for what
release they should come in? I'd say #1 should be final and #2 and #3
should be beta, off the top of my head.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 06-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Matt Domsch

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:28:16AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Sorry for the cross-post, but figured it's worth CCing devel in case
> anyone has concerns on these.
>
> I'm currently working on a plan to expand desktop validation testing. As
> part of the discussion around this, Christoph Wickert proposed several
> additions to the release criteria that seem sensible to me. I'd like to
> propose we add these to the criteria for F14 and on:
>
> * Saving passwords in the desktop default keyring (if the desktop
> implements one), and retrieving passwords from the keyring, must work
>
> * The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
> updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check for
> updates when running on an installed system
>
> * The desktop's offered mechanisms for shutting down, logging out and
> rebooting must work
>
> Anyone have comments or objections to these? Suggestions for what
> release they should come in? I'd say #1 should be final and #2 and #3
> should be beta, off the top of my head.

Given that #1 should be already present for several desktops, as a
feature for any new desktops I'd expect it to be in place by Beta.
Regression testing ahead of RC->Gold should test all three to ensure
functionality.

Otherwise, +1 for me.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Adam Williamson

> Sorry for the cross-post, but figured it's worth CCing devel in case
> anyone has concerns on these.
>
> I'm currently working on a plan to expand desktop validation testing. As
> part of the discussion around this, Christoph Wickert proposed several
> additions to the release criteria that seem sensible to me. I'd like to
> propose we add these to the criteria for F14 and on:
>
> * Saving passwords in the desktop default keyring (if the desktop
> implements one), and retrieving passwords from the keyring, must work
>
> * The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
> updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check for
> updates when running on an installed system
>
> * The desktop's offered mechanisms for shutting down, logging out and
> rebooting must work
>
> Anyone have comments or objections to these? Suggestions for what
> release they should come in? I'd say #1 should be final and #2 and #3
> should be beta, off the top of my head.

Since no-one seems to have had any objections to these, I have added
them to the Fedora 14 criteria, at the levels I initially suggested:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Final_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Beta_Release_Criteria

thanks again to Christoph for proposing these! Next step, I will add new
test cases (or modify existing ones) to make sure we test these
criteria.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Adam Williamson

> Sorry for the cross-post, but figured it's worth CCing devel in case
> anyone has concerns on these.
>
> I'm currently working on a plan to expand desktop validation testing. As
> part of the discussion around this, Christoph Wickert proposed several
> additions to the release criteria that seem sensible to me. I'd like to
> propose we add these to the criteria for F14 and on:
>
> * Saving passwords in the desktop default keyring (if the desktop
> implements one), and retrieving passwords from the keyring, must work
>
> * The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
> updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check for
> updates when running on an installed system
>
> * The desktop's offered mechanisms for shutting down, logging out and
> rebooting must work
>
> Anyone have comments or objections to these? Suggestions for what
> release they should come in? I'd say #1 should be final and #2 and #3
> should be beta, off the top of my head.

I meant to send an email to this effect yesterday, but somehow I didn't,
though I clearly remember writing it. Very strange. Anyhow, since no-one
had objections to these criteria, I went ahead and added them to the F14
Beta and Final criteria:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Final_Release_Criteria
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Beta_Release_Criteria

I have adjusted two test cases to cover the update and session
management criteria:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_updates
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_login

and created a new test to cover the keyring criterion:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_keyring

please do review these and make sure they make sense, and suggest any
possible improvements. Thanks! Note the cases are intentionally written
to be desktop-agnostic, the hedging and lack of references to a specific
desktop (e.g. GNOME) are intentional.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 06-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Dave Jones

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:28:16AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> * The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
> updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check for
> updates when running on an installed system

tangentally related:
Do we ever respin the live image if there are security updates ?

Dave

Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Colin Walters

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:28:16AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> *> * The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
> *> *updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check for
> *> *updates when running on an installed system
>
> tangentally related:
> Do we ever respin the live image if there are security updates ?

No. This is actually a big flaw in the current installation flow; we
need to check for updates as soon as we get online, before the user
potentially launches vulnerable apps. Someone working on this would
be really nice.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Adam Jackson

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 16:49 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:28:16AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > * The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
> > updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check for
> > updates when running on an installed system
>
> tangentally related:
> Do we ever respin the live image if there are security updates ?

Nope.

- ajax