Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Jan Vcelak

Default move libusb from /usr/lib to /lib

Hi,

I would like to move libusb library from /usr/lib to /lib.

Some services might require the library when /usr is not mounted. e.g. nut
(UPS management daemon, bz #453704) needs it at shutdown time.

If course, I would like to refrain from any trouble it can bring. If you
think, that moving the library is a bad idea, or that it will break your
package, please, let me know.

I'm going to move libusb and libusb1 as well. And I will create symlinks in
/usr/lib for them.

The bug is already filed for this, #519716.

Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jan

Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Chen Lei

2010/6/23 Jan Vcelak <jvcelak@redhat.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to move libusb library from /usr/lib to /lib.
>
> Some services might require the library when /usr is not mounted. e.g. nut
> (UPS management daemon, bz #453704) needs it at shutdown time.
>
> If course, I would like to refrain from any trouble it can bring. If you
> think, that moving the library is a bad idea, or that it will break your
> package, please, let me know.
>
> I'm going to move libusb and libusb1 as well. And I will create symlinks in
> /usr/lib for them.
>
> The bug is already filed for this, #519716.
>
> Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Jan
> --
You can simply move all *.so.* files to /%{_lib}, then create symlinks
in /usr/lib for *.so files in -devel subpackage.

See
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=2025071
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=2025072

Also, you need notice libguestfs maintainer first, because this change
will break this special package.

Regards,
Chen Lei

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Richard Hughes

On 22 June 2010 18:14, Jan Vcelak <jvcelak@redhat.com> wrote:
> Some services might require the library when /usr is not mounted. e.g. nut
> (UPS management daemon, bz #453704) needs it at shutdown time.

What on earth is NUT doing to the UPS at shutdown time?

Richard.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Tomasz Torcz

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 09:42:44AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 18:14, Jan Vcelak <jvcelak@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Some services might require the library when /usr is not mounted. e.g. nut
> > (UPS management daemon, bz #453704) needs it at shutdown time.
>
> What on earth is NUT doing to the UPS at shutdown time?

From the bug mentioned:
“/sbin/upsdrvctl is used as the near final step in /etc/init.d/halt to command
the UPS to shut down power to the computer.”

--
Tomasz Torcz 72->| 80->|
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl 72->| 80->|

Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Jan Vcelak

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 10:42:44, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 18:14, Jan Vcelak <jvcelak@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Some services might require the library when /usr is not mounted. e.g.
> > nut (UPS management daemon, bz #453704) needs it at shutdown time.
>
> What on earth is NUT doing to the UPS at shutdown time?
>
> Richard.

There is a shutdown delay. nut will cancel the shutdown if the power is
restored during this period.

Jan

Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Jan Vcelak

> There is a shutdown delay. nut will cancel the shutdown if the power is
> restored during this period.

Sorry, I'm wrong. See Tomasz's answer.

Jan

Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Richard Hughes

On 23 June 2010 09:50, Tomasz Torcz <tomek@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
> “/sbin/upsdrvctl is used as the near final step in /etc/init.d/halt to command

That's completely bogus. You really don't want to just power down the
machine like that -- it might lead to disk corruption and is certainly
not a good idea for a server with a huge power load.

I really don't think we want this feature in Fedora.

Richard.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Rob Crittenden

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 23 June 2010 09:50, Tomasz Torcz <tomek@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
>> “/sbin/upsdrvctl is used as the near final step in /etc/init.d/halt to command
>
> That's completely bogus. You really don't want to just power down the
> machine like that -- it might lead to disk corruption and is certainly
> not a good idea for a server with a huge power load.
>
> I really don't think we want this feature in Fedora.
>
> Richard.

You're misunderstanding what this does. It doesn't cut power to the
computer while its on. The process looks something like:

- nut signals the UPS to shut down in x seconds (default 120)
- nut halts the machine
- after x seconds the UPS shuts down

rob

Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Richard Hughes

On 23 June 2010 13:33, Rob Crittenden <rcritten@redhat.com> wrote:
> You're misunderstanding what this does. It doesn't cut power to the
> computer while its on. The process looks something like:
>
> - nut signals the UPS to shut down in x seconds (default 120)
> - nut halts the machine
> - after x seconds the UPS shuts down

So to turn on the computer you have to power on the UPS and then the
computer? Does anybody actually use this functionality in the real
world?

Richard.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> said:
> On 23 June 2010 13:33, Rob Crittenden <rcritten@redhat.com> wrote:
> > You're misunderstanding what this does. It doesn't cut power to the
> > computer while its on. The process looks something like:
> >
> > - nut signals the UPS to shut down in x seconds (default 120)
> > - nut halts the machine
> > - after x seconds the UPS shuts down
>
> So to turn on the computer you have to power on the UPS and then the
> computer? Does anybody actually use this functionality in the real
> world?

This isn't the normal shutdown, only the power-has-failed mode.

IIRC, this is a response to line power failure and UPS battery drain.
With at least some model UPSs, if you shut them down like this, when
line power returns, the UPS automatically turns back on. If you have
the computer configured to auto-turn-on when power returns, it'll boot
back up when the UPS turns on. The idea is the system runs as long as
possible on UPS, and then automatically comes back on when line power
returns.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>